Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    985

    Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    In a couple years, Penn State will be opening up a new arena and joining Division 1 NCAA hockey. It seems to me that Boston schools BC, BU, and Northeastern...perhaps UNH and Maine, too...would be eager to schedule Penn State in reciprocal home-and-home series' beginning with the 2013-2014 season. Do followers of college hockey see this as likely or not? I wonder if the Hockey East schools are saying 'Nyet' to other overtures in expectation of games with Penn State?

  2. #2
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_NH View Post
    In a couple years, Penn State will be opening up a new arena and joining Division 1 NCAA hockey. It seems to me that Boston schools BC, BU, and Northeastern...perhaps UNH and Maine, too...would be eager to schedule Penn State in reciprocal home-and-home series' beginning with the 2013-2014 season. Do followers of college hockey see this as likely or not? I wonder if the Hockey East schools are saying 'Nyet' to other overtures in expectation of games with Penn State?
    What makes you say that? The only reason I can think of is that it's a name school that might appeal to the casual fan, but none of those schools (with the exception of NU) have attendance problems. Penn St is most likely going to struggle its first few years, so games against them probably won't help a lot for PWR purposes. And it's not like central PA is a recruiting hot bed, so playing there doesn't really provide much of an upside other than getting to check out a state of the art arena.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  3. #3
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,249

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    What makes you say that? The only reason I can think of is that it's a name school that might appeal to the casual fan, but none of those schools (with the exception of NU) have attendance problems. Penn St is most likely going to struggle its first few years, so games against them probably won't help a lot for PWR purposes. And it's not like central PA is a recruiting hot bed, so playing there doesn't really provide much of an upside other than getting to check out a state of the art arena.
    you are not recruiting 'central PA' because state college is in the middle (of nowhere). you are recruiting all of PA. true state school. lot of junior hockey in pitt that i know of. rather decent players have come out of philly too.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    985

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Oh well...I thought it seemed like a good idea. I agree that Penn State, aside from being a marquee school, won't be a marquee hockey program for a long time (if at all: see Ohio State). I was just posing the question to see what people thought, because I would rather see a BC-Penn State game in early November than a BC-Toronto one.

  5. #5
    Quest to be the Best
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,540

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    I think BC would be interested in scheduling PSU. I just wish it would lead to a football series like they used to play.
    BC Eagles Hockey East Champions: 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 2005, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1990, 1987
    National Championships: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949
    Beanpot Champions: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2001, 1994, 1983, 1976, 1965, 1964, 1963, 1961, 1959, 1957, 1956, 1954


    Bentley Falcons Hockey

  6. #6
    Here we go
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    9,959

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    I would guess not many "name" hockey schools are going to be looking to play PSU at this point due to not being able to help much for PWR. I expect the B10 schools will schedule them for the conference. But I would expect that they otherwise would get most of their games against middle of the road to bottom teams in the CCHA and WCHA early on.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

    Member of the infamous Corner Crew

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Savannah GA
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_NH View Post
    Oh well...I thought it seemed like a good idea. I agree that Penn State, aside from being a marquee school, won't be a marquee hockey program for a long time (if at all: see Ohio State). I was just posing the question to see what people thought, because I would rather see a BC-Penn State game in early November than a BC-Toronto one.
    it's a different idea for a thread so that's a good thing............as mookie said above about pitts, BC has 2 Pittsburgh area players, Wey and Milner

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Portsmouth NH
    Posts
    2,390

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    I would love for UNH to take a trip down there, as a Penn State Football fan what could be better then catching a Penn State Football game and UNH hockey in the same weekend then again this would be for pure selfish reasons

  9. #9
    Sungo
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_NH View Post
    Oh well...I thought it seemed like a good idea. I agree that Penn State, aside from being a marquee school, won't be a marquee hockey program for a long time (if at all: see Ohio State). I was just posing the question to see what people thought, because I would rather see a BC-Penn State game in early November than a BC-Toronto one.
    Yeah, but your BC-Penn State game comes at the expense of a BC- Michigan, BC-Denver or BC-Miami games, all of which are more satisfying to a top-tier hockey program.

    ETA: Boston schools would be reluctant to schedule another non-conference games, considering they are at a premium because of the beanpot.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Savannah GA
    Posts
    5,016

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrier520 View Post
    Yeah, but your BC-Penn State game comes at the expense of a BC- Michigan, BC-Denver or BC-Miami games, all of which are more satisfying to a top-tier hockey program.

    ETA: Boston schools would be reluctant to schedule another non-conference games, considering they are at a premium because of the beanpot.
    but we're a football school, remember?

  11. #11
    Allergic to Kool Aid
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    thugland america
    Posts
    634

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    i think it'll happen, you play a name school (lets be honest, joe boston sports fan is going to see penn state and be like, hey i bet they have a decent program because they are penn state!) if you are bc bu or nu and you get that draw and the draw for penn state is that they expose themselves to potential new england recruits. id love to schedule penn state for a friday game and then they play bc/bu sat or something along those lines. I think this is very likely to happen in one of their first few years for the exposure to boston and potential recruits.
    Arenas Attended
    Matthews Arena
    Agganis Arena
    Tsongas Arena
    Lawler Arena
    Schneider Arena
    Mullins Center
    TD Banknorth Garden
    Conte Forum
    Whittemore Center
    Gutterson Fieldhouse
    Alfond Arena
    Compton Family Ice Arena

  12. #12
    Rodent of Unusual Size Patman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    22,966

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by NUMcNeely View Post
    i think it'll happen, you play a name school (lets be honest, joe boston sports fan is going to see penn state and be like, hey i bet they have a decent program because they are penn state!) if you are bc bu or nu and you get that draw and the draw for penn state is that they expose themselves to potential new england recruits. id love to schedule penn state for a friday game and then they play bc/bu sat or something along those lines. I think this is very likely to happen in one of their first few years for the exposure to boston and potential recruits.
    Yes, people are that stupid... I bet you if Lowell could get Penn State at home then it would bring a record non-conf draw.
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

    Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey


    NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

  13. #13
    Sungo
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,723

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
    but we're a football school, remember?
    Let's put it this way; I think that, while the athletics department would like that to happen, Jerry York would prefer to play more challenging schools. And I doubt that BU would want to play Penn State. Then again, I could easily be wrong.

  14. #14
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by NUMcNeely View Post
    i think it'll happen, you play a name school (lets be honest, joe boston sports fan is going to see penn state and be like, hey i bet they have a decent program because they are penn state!) if you are bc bu or nu and you get that draw and the draw for penn state is that they expose themselves to potential new england recruits. id love to schedule penn state for a friday game and then they play bc/bu sat or something along those lines. I think this is very likely to happen in one of their first few years for the exposure to boston and potential recruits.
    Yeah, but how many locals who know that little about college hockey are even bothering to look at a schedule, never mind actually buy tickets? And as I mentioned, only NU would need that sort of attendance boost anyway. BU drew 5000+ for games against Brown and Harvard this year, and both were over breaks. BC leads the league in attendance. They don't need any sort of boost from a "name school," especially one that isn't going to help in the PWR.

    I agree that PSU is going to want to get to the Boston area because of the recruits, but I just don't see what's in it for BU or BC. NU I get because it probably could be an attendance boost for them, though.

    ETA: Going off Patman's post, it could help UML or Providence, too. So maybe one night at NU and the next at UML or PC. I would think all of those teams would be willing to reciprocate the visit, too, which I'm sure is something PSU would be looking for.
    Last edited by Federal League; 02-15-2011 at 08:26 PM.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    736

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Would not at all be surprised for Mack, Lowell, PC, or Mass to schedule them and/or take the trip, the others will probably stick to western teams.

  16. #16
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,906

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    I agree that PSU is going to want to get to the Boston area because of the recruits, but I just don't see what's in it for BU or BC. NU I get because it probably could be an attendance boost for them, though.
    A few quick thoughts:

    While BC is far superior to recruiting local talent lately, BU still gets their fair share. Both of these schools would probably "protect" this area by NOT scheduling a game with PSU even though PSU is probably a very minimal threat.

    Also, if PSU did want to come in and get some exposure in the Boston market and did so with a willing participant like NU, UML, Merrimack, etc... how much exposure are we talking? Ok, it sells out the game. So you have a few thousand people, mostly local, going to these games. It's not going to get on tv. Even a huge marketing campaign in the Globe or Herald to sell the tickets just gets the building filled and it stops there. Writeups on the games would be about 2nd rate local teams against a startup Big Ten school that may very well be terrible on the ice and it could still be a beatdown. Would that get more press than say a BC or BU writeup when they play on the same night? Doubtful. How much exposure would it really be? At the end of the day, most of these kids that get into the arena to see PSU will still want to go to BC and if they can't get in to BC go to BU and if they play for 3rd rate programs like Boston Advantage they will want to go to Maine to go play for Whitehead, who will hopefully still be coaching there for the next 20 years!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  17. #17
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    10,617

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by komey1 View Post
    I would guess not many "name" hockey schools are going to be looking to play PSU at this point due to not being able to help much for PWR. I expect the B10 schools will schedule them for the conference. But I would expect that they otherwise would get most of their games against middle of the road to bottom teams in the CCHA and WCHA early on.
    I think the B10 schools will play PSU well before HE teams start to look at the possibilities. They'll take the PWR hit to help a B10 brotheren.

    That, and it makes sense that PSU will be a CCHA team unless a B10 actually happens- natural rivalries and whatnot. There will be more money that way for them.

    IMHO.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    736

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    A few quick thoughts:

    While BC is far superior to recruiting local talent lately, BU still gets their fair share. Both of these schools would probably "protect" this area by NOT scheduling a game with PSU even though PSU is probably a very minimal threat.

    Also, if PSU did want to come in and get some exposure in the Boston market and did so with a willing participant like NU, UML, Merrimack, etc... how much exposure are we talking? Ok, it sells out the game. So you have a few thousand people, mostly local, going to these games. It's not going to get on tv. Even a huge marketing campaign in the Globe or Herald to sell the tickets just gets the building filled and it stops there. Writeups on the games would be about 2nd rate local teams against a startup Big Ten school that may very well be terrible on the ice and it could still be a beatdown. Would that get more press than say a BC or BU writeup when they play on the same night? Doubtful. How much exposure would it really be? At the end of the day, most of these kids that get into the arena to see PSU will still want to go to BC and if they can't get in to BC go to BU and if they play for 3rd rate programs like Boston Advantage they will want to go to Maine to go play for Whitehead, who will hopefully still be coaching there for the next 20 years!
    Well, Yuma AZ, I think you're overestimating the influence of Penn State, sure it's a nationally recognized school but there are some very prestigious schools inside 128 that are also pretty much synonymous with NCAA Hockey around here. I am pretty convinced that if Little Johnny Sully-Murph wants to play college hockey, he wants to play it for BU or BC, or UNH or Maine. (disregarding the issue of scholarships) Half the people around here think the Beanpot is the HEA playoffs, anyway.

  19. #19
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,906

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
    Well, Yuma AZ, I think you're overestimating the influence of Penn State, sure it's a nationally recognized school but there are some very prestigious schools inside 128 that are also pretty much synonymous with NCAA Hockey around here. I am pretty convinced that if Little Johnny Sully-Murph wants to play college hockey, he wants to play it for BU or BC, or UNH or Maine. (disregarding the issue of scholarships) Half the people around here think the Beanpot is the HEA playoffs, anyway.
    I could be wrong here... but I'm pretty sure that's almost exactly what I wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    208

    Re: Boston schools eager to schedule Penn State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post

    I agree that PSU is going to want to get to the Boston area because of the recruits
    I think we have to wait and see who the coach is. If he is a WCHA or CCHA guy, I think they go west (USHL, MN, BCHL etc)... if it is a HE or ECAC guy, it will be strange if he goes east for players--this would be the only team in a conference that recruits differently than all of its other members.
    My guess is the first couple classes will be heavy on older Ontario, Alberta, BCHL and to some degree NAHL kids regardless of who the coach is.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •