Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dartmouth College Hockey...is there anybody else out there?

Dartmouth College Hockey...is there anybody else out there?

i'll admit our fanbase isn't really know of late but ask Princeton how we did yesterday. Pretty sure I saw a thousand tennis balls. Any other Big Green fans on this site other than me?

Re: Dartmouth College Hockey...is there anybody else out there?

Quote Originally Posted by jjchurchill View Post
    Any other Big Green fans on this site other than me?
    Nope, but there should be, you've got a pretty good team.

explain this tennis ball thing?
    “Unless you’re Boston College, you don’t get here every year.”

Pinhead Nation: "gone" but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by shrader
    Admin, do you still hate BC? If not, will darin and MAV ever be freed? If you do still hate BC, why is SteveF allowed to post?
    Hockey East Champions: 1987, 1990, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012
    National Champions: 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012

Yeah it's feeling pretty good this year

Well ever since I was in high school (2005 onward) i've been going to dartmouth games and everytime we play Princeton and score tennis balls rain down on their goalie...i've been told it has to do with the tennis team rivalry with Princeton.

i've been told it has to do with the tennis team rivalry with Princeton.
    I think that answers your question. It's very telling when a tradition at a hockey game comes from a rivalry in a different sport lol...

Anyways, I share the sentiment of Wholin. You do have a great team this year.
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

Well ever since I was in high school (2005 onward) i've been going to dartmouth games and everytime we play Princeton and score tennis balls rain down on their goalie...i've been told it has to do with the tennis team rivalry with Princeton.
    There are actually tennis team rivalries? You Ivies really do live in a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wholin1 View Post
    There are actually tennis team rivalries? You Ivies really do live in a different world.
    I wonder if they throw pucks at the tennis players.

Jesus H. Christ in a handbasket. That's the worst explanation I've ever heard. What are they teaching kids in Hanover these days?

Back in the day, Princeton used to throw tennis balls onto the ice after scoring their first goal of the season. One year, that happened to be against Dartmouth. Dartmouth fans returned the favor later that season when they played at Thompson, and have been doing so ever since.
    Last edited by unofan; 02-13-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Union Hockey fan for life

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I wonder if they throw pucks at the tennis players.
    Haha.

To echo what others are saying, Dartmouth really does have a strong team. I would not be too happy if we ran into them come playoff time.
    LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    Jesus H. Christ in a handbasket. That's the worst explanation I've ever heard. What are they teaching kids in Hanover these days?

Back in the day, Princeton used to throw tennis balls onto the ice after scoring their first goal of the season. One year, that happened to be against Dartmouth. Dartmouth fans returned the favor later that season when they played at Thompson, and have been doing so ever since.
    I am just relaying what i've been told

Quote Originally Posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
    Haha.

To echo what others are saying, Dartmouth really does have a strong team. I would not be too happy if we ran into them come playoff time.
    On behalf of the rest of the league, right back at you. Wouldn't it be hilarious if the year in which RPI and Union both make it to the final 4 is the first one after it leaves Albany?
    Hockeyenthusiast

Colgate Class of '03

-I saw Andy McDonald play at Starr Rink.

from Russia with love

Dartmouth fan chiming in. Hey jjchurchil. Are you a current student? I'm an alum, class of 2001. Glad to have you on this board. There are a few other Dartmouth folks on this board, but the great majority are inactive.

Tennis ball "tradition" is pretty new. They didn't throw them my freshman and sophomore year, though back in those days there weren't many students attending games... I'm heard the same explanation given by unofan. I don't think we have a tennis rivalry with Princeton.
    Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
    University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bullmoose View Post
    Dartmouth fan chiming in. Hey jjchurchil. Are you a current student? I'm an alum, class of 2001. Glad to have you on this board. There are a few other Dartmouth folks on this board, but the great majority are inactive.

Tennis ball "tradition" is pretty new. They didn't throw them my freshman and sophomore year, though back in those days there weren't many students attending games... I'm heard the same explanation given by unofan. I don't think we have a tennis rivalry with Princeton.
    Hey Bullmoose. I am not a current student. I go to another school for swimming of all sports. But I grew up in vermont and became a dartmouth fan growing up. I still try and go to as many games as I can it's only been about 4 dartmouth games this year. I have however seen a couple other d1 games and a few Prep games. Saw that kid Eric Neiley who committed from Phillips Exeter play. He looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullmoose View Post

I've been to the games the past 3 years and each time we have seen the tennis balls. The past two years we have taken penalties because of it.
    Saturdays game was very important for our ECAC rankings and equally important for the pairwise rankings. If the season were to end today we
    would make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1980. I'm just glad the three tennis ball penalties didn't matter!

Quote Originally Posted by jsl1960 View Post
    I've been to the games the past 3 years and each time we have seen the tennis balls. The past two years we have taken penalties because of it.
    Saturdays game was very important for our ECAC rankings and equally important for the pairwise rankings. If the season were to end today we
    would make the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1980. I'm just glad the three tennis ball penalties didn't matter!
    We need to win most of our last four games(Cornell is where I see a challenge) and take our hopefully home playoff series...if we make it to Atlantic City we have a very good shot of making it too the tourney.

Shopping for a defenseman to replace Lidstrom

That's the most *d up version of Chuck A Puck I've ever heard of.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    That's the most *d up version of Chuck A Puck I've ever heard of.
    Oh, don't worry. They do the real chuck a puck in the first intermission (at least, they did as of 5 years ago when I was last in Hanover).

As to Dartmouth - my guess is they can only lose twice from here on out, including the playoffs, and still make the tourney at-large.

Which of course means they'll lose three times and finish 16th in the PWR, becoming the last team out of the tourney once again; they were the masters of that in the early 2000's - only fitting they start doing that again in the early 2010's.

Saturday's game at Cornell is huge - a win or even a tie there would carry them a long way.

Another Dartmouth alum/fan checking in. Lurking for quite some time but the call-out made me register...

Biggest weekend I can remember in quite some time for the Big Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Palaeopitus View Post
    Another Dartmouth alum/fan checking in. Lurking for quite some time but the call-out made me register...

Biggest weekend I can remember in quite some time for the Big Green.
    Anytime you go to Cornell it's tough... I hope we pull it off

Thread Information