Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

  1. #1
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    30,224

    BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Just realized there wasn't a game thread. Any thoughts or discussion? Anyone making trek out there? I'm planning on it.

  2. #2
    Go Whalers
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,492

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    yes, will have the "f--- BU" counter going.
    time to write new history

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA/Billerica, MA
    Posts
    146

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by slurpees View Post
    yes, will have the "f--- BU" counter going.
    Haha, gotta love UMass. Can't wait to go back again this year.
    What are the chances you guys have a post-Beanpot hangover? Even with one of those I can't see you losing to a team that just gave up 16 goals last weekend...

  4. #4
    Currently Busy
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Location, Location
    Posts
    6,674

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Did I see this one is on TV tonight, not NESN, some other channel that I hope I get on the DTV sports package? So glad my son's bball team drew the Friday night slot for games...DVR time again. Here's hoping we take out some frustration on UMass.
    I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

  5. #5
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Yes, it is on CBS-CS
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  6. #6
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Here's my game preview. We'll also be live blogging for anyone not going.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  7. #7
    *****
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    #notagrinder
    Posts
    2,334

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Yes, it is on CBS-CS
    I've said this before, I greatly prefer CBS-CS to NESN. HD wherever they go, nice little stories about each team (A Day in teh Life of York when BC played BU), and pretty good announcing.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    BU
    Posts
    2,602

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    Here's my game preview. We'll also be live blogging for anyone not going.
    FL, I appreciate the blog you guys have created. I think it is a great resource for BU fans and for college hockey fans in general. With that being said, and I'm sure many other people here agree with me, the inane, and in some cases complete BS, comments made by "anonymous" people really detract from the site. I'm sure these comments are left by the same three or four BC fans with whom we're all very familiar. Is there any way you can set it so that real names and e-mail addresses are required in order to sign in? People reading the comments don't necessarily need that information, but the lack of anonymity will generally keep these cowards who hide behind the anonymity from posting the bull**** that clogs up the site. If you can't do that, don't be afraid to just delete them if you feel so inclined - no one will hold it against you as most of these comments have zero legitimate discussion value.

  9. #9
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    FL, I appreciate the blog you guys have created. I think it is a great resource for BU fans and for college hockey fans in general. With that being said, and I'm sure many other people here agree with me, the inane, and in some cases complete BS, comments made by "anonymous" people really detract from the site. I'm sure these comments are left by the same three or four BC fans with whom we're all very familiar. Is there any way you can set it so that real names and e-mail addresses are required in order to sign in? People reading the comments don't necessarily need that information, but the lack of anonymity will generally keep these cowards who hide behind the anonymity from posting the bull**** that clogs up the site. If you can't do that, don't be afraid to just delete them if you feel so inclined - no one will hold it against you as most of these comments have zero legitimate discussion value.
    Yeah, it's something I've been thinking about and actually meant to discuss with Jake, Sam and Arielle. Consider this a reminder to myself to ask them tomorrow. There are a few reasons I haven't done it yet. The first is that I'm worried there will be some good commenters who won't register. I know it's not hard or time-consuming to register, but I'm sure there would be people who see that and just click away. The second is that I want to censor the blog as little as possible. It's easy to not allow distasteful comments, but where do you draw the line? Block any comments that are critical of BU or Parker? I definitely don't want to do that. Block comments that repeat earlier sentiments? How many times does something have to be posted before it becomes block worthy? I want everyone from all sides to feel free to comment, so it's tough to determine where that line is between having a strong opinion and being a troll. Lastly, and most selfishly, all this commenting has caused our page views to skyrocket. How many viewers would we drive away by making people register?
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  10. #10
    Go Whalers
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,492

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    Yeah, it's something I've been thinking about and actually meant to discuss with Jake, Sam and Arielle. Consider this a reminder to myself to ask them tomorrow. There are a few reasons I haven't done it yet. The first is that I'm worried there will be some good commenters who won't register. I know it's not hard or time-consuming to register, but I'm sure there would be people who see that and just click away. The second is that I want to censor the blog as little as possible. It's easy to not allow distasteful comments, but where do you draw the line? Block any comments that are critical of BU or Parker? I definitely don't want to do that. Block comments that repeat earlier sentiments? How many times does something have to be posted before it becomes block worthy? I want everyone from all sides to feel free to comment, so it's tough to determine where that line is between having a strong opinion and being a troll. Lastly, and most selfishly, all this commenting has caused our page views to skyrocket. How many viewers would we drive away by making people register?
    I understand it's a rock and a hard place situation you all have here. I agree censorship would be a very bad idea, and the blog would lose some credibility if it didn't allow fair criticism of the team and coaches. However, of late I agree with 84 that there really has been a rise in utter nonsense and reading through the live blogs, which I like to do sometimes after seeing a game, is a bit tedious, having to wade through the loads of irrelevant and offpoint garbage that's there from some commenters. Keep up the great work, hopefully you can find a resolution that cuts down on the BS but maintains the integrity of your work. FWIW, I'd register.
    time to write new history

  11. #11
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    43,932

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Mentally I just replace "anonymous" with Tony the Tiger & Onion Man... Makes the comments section read quite smoothly

  12. #12
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    LOL. Someone neg repped me for that last post and apparently thinks I'm the commenter quackquack over on our blog. Nice try, doofus.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,756

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by claver2010 View Post
    I've said this before, I greatly prefer CBS-CS to NESN. HD wherever they go, nice little stories about each team (A Day in teh Life of York when BC played BU), and pretty good announcing.
    Ya, except they've showed the same piece on BU in every game I've seen on that channel. Why not get some new material on BU instead of the same old thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I'm sure these comments are left by the same three or four BC fans with whom we're all very familiar.
    You're sure of this? Please give me some winning lottery numbers.

  14. #14
    The social ramble ain't restful
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Posts
    1,872

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by claver2010 View Post
    I've said this before, I greatly prefer CBS-CS to NESN. HD wherever they go, nice little stories about each team (A Day in teh Life of York when BC played BU), and pretty good announcing.
    Plus with CBS-CS, there's always plenty of "jam".
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    BU
    Posts
    2,602

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    LOL. Someone neg repped me for that last post and apparently thinks I'm the commenter quackquack over on our blog. Nice try, doofus.
    Me too!

  16. #16
    Go Whalers
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,492

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    LOL. Someone neg repped me for that last post and apparently thinks I'm the commenter quackquack over on our blog. Nice try, doofus.
    I also got neg repped, but it said good point. Someone had a bad night last night.
    time to write new history

  17. #17
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Re: Comments- We've decided to keep things as is. Most other news sites allow all kinds of comments through, including anonymous ones, and we think that's a good thing. We don't want to make people have to register. And using our discretion to try and pick out trolls enters a real grey area. The only comments that will be blocked are those that are vulgar or clearly distasteful, which is what we've been doing anyway. We don't think comments, good or bad, have any effect on our work or on how readers view the blog.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Waltham, MA
    Posts
    7,085

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    Re: Comments- We've decided to keep things as is. Most other news sites allow all kinds of comments through, including anonymous ones, and we think that's a good thing. We don't want to make people have to register. And using our discretion to try and pick out trolls enters a real grey area. The only comments that will be blocked are those that are vulgar or clearly distasteful, which is what we've been doing anyway. We don't think comments, good or bad, have any effect on our work or on how readers view the blog.
    Comments are good as long as they foster some type of intelligent exchange, but that is not the case there.

    Some of those comments on there are so obvious that they came from some of the BC fans from this message board.I can almost guess who did each one!

  19. #19
    Go Whalers
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,492

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by Federal League View Post
    Re: Comments- We've decided to keep things as is. Most other news sites allow all kinds of comments through, including anonymous ones, and we think that's a good thing. We don't want to make people have to register. And using our discretion to try and pick out trolls enters a real grey area. The only comments that will be blocked are those that are vulgar or clearly distasteful, which is what we've been doing anyway. We don't think comments, good or bad, have any effect on our work or on how readers view the blog.
    Are we talking about comments at the end of articles, or comments in the live blog? My thoughts earlier were on the live blog comments, personally, I couldn't care less about comments after an article, because the reader isn't forced to read them. It was the ones in the live blog, which the reader is forced to read that I commented on, weeding out the real stuff from the BS at times can be a bit annoying.
    time to write new history

  20. #20
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: BU @ UMass Amherst 2/11

    Quote Originally Posted by slurpees View Post
    Are we talking about comments at the end of articles, or comments in the live blog? My thoughts earlier were on the live blog comments, personally, I couldn't care less about comments after an article, because the reader isn't forced to read them. It was the ones in the live blog, which the reader is forced to read that I commented on, weeding out the real stuff from the BS at times can be a bit annoying.
    Ah. I'm talking about the comments on articles. We do more censoring on the live blog for exactly the reason you just mentioned- it bogs things down too much. Not just for the readers, but also for us while we're trying to work. If there's a live blog commenter who is clearly contributing nothing but garbage, I'll just ban them. Then I don't have to worry about approving their comments any more and readers don't have to worry about navigating through the trash. We actually banned someone last night before the puck even dropped as a matter of fact.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •