Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HEY HERE IT IS! Its the UNO season thread!

I kinda wrote up something in the series thread but looks like everybody abandoned that, so I'll get my thoughts out here:

NoClu: I know I still owe you a drink, now it'll probably be two with interest. I figured I'd write something in the series thread when I got into town but I found out when we got down there that the Hilton charged $10 a night for internet. Sorry, but that's a couple drinks out of my pocket PER NIGHT, so we passed on that. But you guys are in the WCHA; eventually you'll make it up to Cloud, or the F5/6, and I certainly will go to Omaha again.

MAVFANJEFF: those "loud but polite" SCSU fans, what section were they in? 'Cause we were in 103 Saturday and I hope you were talking about us, because that's the nicest thing I think I've ever heard us described as. We like to be loud, and mix it up, and I told the guy behind us that we talked to all night, if you were in two or three sections away, you'd probably hate us, but after talking to him all game he loved us. We told him we are actually MORE obnoxious at the National Hockey Center but on the road we're more respectful and keep the language clean.

As for the weekend, nothing but good things to say about the team, the fans, the town and the arena. Some of you guys talked down about your arena, but honestly, its better than ours in every aspect but atmosphere.

Only negatives were very nitpicky;
    -we chant "Ugly goalie!" when the opposing goalie takes his helmet off, and we were right behind Faulkner Friday night. It has NOTHING to do with how he's playing. Well when Mike Lee started getting scored on in the second, everyone chanted "Ugly goalie" at him, and we were laughing. Call him a sieve if you want, but if he keeps his lid on, you can't call him ugly, you don't know what he looks like.
    -your PA guy does everything backwards. Starting lineup is supposed to be goalie, then blueline, then fowards ending with center, not the opposite way. And he also mispronounced Mike Lee's city of Roseau, which I say is an easy fix, don't announce the cities of the away team, just the home team.
    -and seriously, you guys do the Ole chant?!? That's not only soccer, that's a Mankato thing. Please don't try to be like Mankato, for your own sake.

Good luck to you the rest of the way. Hope you sell out the building next week and then beat Bucky! Maybe we'll be back down there for the playoffs. And we hope you make it up to the X, its a hell of a time.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Question for you mavs fans: What sports bars to you recommend for away team fans? Would like some near stadium as which that is where my hotel is.
      WISCONSIN BADGERS
      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Hey UWisco, there are 3 sports bars within easy walking distance of the arena. Old Mattress Factory is at 13th & Cass. Its basically the across the street from the backside of the Hilton. DJs Dugout just opened and is pretty nice. Its right across the street from the arena at 10th & Capitol. Farrell's is at 9th & Dodge.

http://www.themattomaha.com/
        http://www.djsdugout.com/
        http://www.farrellssportsbar.com/

Hey SCSU Euro, glad you had a nice time last weekend. We can only hope to start filling it up even more and make it more rowdy. Ive heard so many stories about the X during the Final Five. I hope to make it someday. Ive been to Wild games and can only imagine what its like when the fans of a bunch of teams are all there milling around in the bars.

Comment

Wild games are OK, but the college atmosphere is ten times better. Especially if the Gophers play, 'cause when they do its all the Gopher fans cheering against everyone else, regardless of who it is.
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            NoClu: I know I still owe you a drink, now it'll probably be two with interest. I figured I'd write something in the series thread when I got into town but I found out when we got down there that the Hilton charged $10 a night for internet. Sorry, but that's a couple drinks out of my pocket PER NIGHT, so we passed on that. But you guys are in the WCHA; eventually you'll make it up to Cloud, or the F5/6, and I certainly will go to Omaha again.

Good luck to you the rest of the way. Hope you sell out the building next week and then beat Bucky! Maybe we'll be back down there for the playoffs. And we hope you make it up to the X, its a hell of a time.
            Hey, sorry I didn't get over there to meet you in person. I'll take you up on a) the beer, and b) the road trip some time in the not too distant future.

Comment

As for the weekend, nothing but good things to say about the team, the fans, the town and the arena. Some of you guys talked down about your arena, but honestly, its better than ours in every aspect but atmosphere.
              I'm not a big fan of the NHC from a comfort standpoint, but I love the atmosphere there. If the Qwest Center could get even a bit of that energy, then fans wouldn't dog on it nearly as much.

My theory is that the Qwest is too comfortable for a raucous crowd. Too many food options, too comfortable of seats and a nice bar makes for distractions that keep people disconnected from the game. The NHC has crummy food choices, uncomfortable chairs and no beer, so what else is there to do then get rowdy?
              UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

MAVFANJEFF: those "loud but polite" SCSU fans, what section were they in? 'Cause we were in 103 Saturday and I hope you were talking about us, because that's the nicest thing I think I've ever heard us described as. We like to be loud, and mix it up, and I told the guy behind us that we talked to all night, if you were in two or three sections away, you'd probably hate us, but after talking to him all game he loved us. We told him we are actually MORE obnoxious at the National Hockey Center but on the road we're more respectful and keep the language clean.

Only negatives were very nitpicky;
                -we chant "Ugly goalie!" when the opposing goalie takes his helmet off, and we were right behind Faulkner Friday night. It has NOTHING to do with how he's playing. Well when Mike Lee started getting scored on in the second, everyone chanted "Ugly goalie" at him, and we were laughing. Call him a sieve if you want, but if he keeps his lid on, you can't call him ugly, you don't know what he looks like.
                -your PA guy does everything backwards. Starting lineup is supposed to be goalie, then blueline, then fowards ending with center, not the opposite way. And he also mispronounced Mike Lee's city of Roseau, which I say is an easy fix, don't announce the cities of the away team, just the home team.
                -and seriously, you guys do the Ole chant?!? That's not only soccer, that's a Mankato thing. Please don't try to be like Mankato, for your own sake.
                You'll have to excuse or PA announcer. We wore him out with names like Juha Uotila LOL. When Bemidji was here I wanted to yell "UGLY BEAVERS" but I don't think it would go over well. If that was you just to the right of your bench I was sitting in the 2nd from the front row right across the isle from you friday night. We love to see butts in the seats there. I'm not sure but I think the more tickets sold the faster the bonds on the place will be paid off plus the hotel/sales tax revenue helps keep other taxes in check. QCO has it's downfalls but most of them have to do with the staff not the building. Come back next year.
                UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Roughly 2800 tickets left for friday. This going to be fun!

Comment

Supposedly, all the seats left are student tickets and whether the game is a sellout or not depends on the number of students that show. That was what was said on the Omaha World Herald hockey chat this afternoon.

At 5:00 tonight, Ticketmaster's web site showed that there were only 1008 tickets left. 79 singles scattered downstairs and the balance upstairs. That jibes with what a buddy told me today. He tried to buy two seats together downstairs this afternoon and he was told there weren't two seats left, together, downstairs.

If 1008 is all that are left, then UNO has sold 15,672 tickets to this game so far!

Sales on Saturday night are supposedly very good as well. Perhaps we can have back to back nights of 10K plus.

Let's see how Bucky Badger likes playing in front of a hostile crowd bigger than any they can put in their own arena!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                      Question for you mavs fans: What sports bars to you recommend for away team fans? Would like some near stadium as which that is where my hotel is.
                      I stopped by DJ's Dugout tonight to take care of a business matter. Never been there before. The place is huge. Plenty ot big screens, lots of space. Just walk across 10th street and walk south across Capital Ave. There you go.
                      UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Quick update.

As of 12:00 A.M. or so, central time, Ticketmaster shows 948 seats remaining. 74 singles in the lower bowl and 874 upstairs:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/06...4&minorcatid=9

That's a tidy gathering of 15,732.

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                          Despite what anybody tells you, the Mattress Factory is awful. Go there for a drink, maybe, but my wife and I won't eat there. My wife is a chef and a culinary school graduate (Johnson & Wales), besides.

I recommend going to Union Sports Bar and Pizzeria (always loaded with UNO fans right before the game) or Goodnights Pizzeria:

http://www.goodnightsomaha.com/

http://www.unionsportsbar.com/

My wife and I never go anywhere else before a game. Tons of UNO fans do, too. Union is jammed before games. They are both within blocks of the Qwest Center.

Goodnights has the best pizza in Omaha, bar none. It's thin crust Chicago style cooked in brick ovens. There are classless cruds in this town that will disagree with me, though, that will try to say otherwise. Trust me, I am FROM Chicago, originally. It's really kind of a sports bar hybrid. Kind of in between.

Interesting tidbit about Goodnights. Farrah Abraham of Teen Mom fame on MTV works there as a waitress:

http://www.mtv.com/shows/teen_mom/se...nalityId=13167

Better pics:

http://starcasm.net/archives/30024
                          Last edited by Red Cows; 02-10-2011, 12:27 AM.

Comment

We always go to The Foundation. It's at 14th and Harney. I heard about the place then saw that they sponsor the 3 stars. So I figured we should check it out. The have tons of craft beer, something like 20 or so on tap. It's a cool atmosphere and reasonably priced. The food is awesome, best bar food downtown for sure. It's also good to get away from the kinds of crowds that hang around places like Billy frog's.

Comment

Sheesh, I never heard of it. Thanks for the heads up. We'll check it out. I'm guessing it's new, maybe?

Craft beers work for me! I don't drink lawn mowing beer.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X