Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is a little outrageous! Pairwise Benefits for ECAC vs. Hockey East, WCHA, CCHA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a little outrageous! Pairwise Benefits for ECAC vs. Hockey East, WCHA, CCHA

Get ready to blast me if you want to, ECAC’ers, but rather than take bitter offense, just give me your thoughts:

I have to piggy back what Jim Connelly wrote on the Hockey East blog this week.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy to see Yale’s success and I’m in no way implying that they can’t skate with the other leagues. I’m also glad to see the competition and bar-raising going on in the conference as a whole.

But at this point, if the season ended tomorrow, having 4 ECAC teams in the 16 would be detrimental to the level of competition our sport aspires for. Sure, HEA, WCHA and CCHA seem to take turns putting 4, 5, even as many as 6 teams in the tourney – but if your conference gets ‘more than their share’ of bids, they better, as a whole, put out a level of play backing that up. Those 3 conferences, by and large, do.

By every Frozen Four of recent memory, it’s been easy to forget the ECAC was even involved with their lackluster offerings of competition despite what those participants looked like in the regular season. This year has been a better regular season for the conference as a whole, but I’d like to rest assured that they are actually contributing to the best field of competition we could hope for.

------
    Since expanding the field to 16 teams in 2003, this league has hardly been competitive.
    Receiving 16 bids during those 8 years, they have combined for a whopping 6 wins. 4 of those 6 were by Cornell.

That stat means the ECAC has averaged 0.38 wins for every bid they’ve received in the tournament since 2003. Here’s the rest of the leagues for comparison

Hockey East: 1.38 wins per bid
    WCHA: 1.20 wins per bid
    CCHA: 0.92 wins per bid
    ECAC: 0.38 wins per bid

In other words, for every 20 bids Hockey East is getting, they're winning over 27 games, while ECAC teams are winning 7 or 8 given the same 20 bids.

The league has offered dismal post-season competition, and at this point, would make up ¼ of the field. This, while teams like Miami, Boston University and Maine aren’t even given a shot to compete.

Yale’s a shoo-in for me – but, honestly, if you had any combo of the following matchups:

RPI, Union and Dartmouth vs. Miami, Boston University and Maine

I’m not sure you can convince me the ECAC wins 2 out of those 3 games.
    Last edited by Howitz-ah; 01-26-2011, 11:44 PM.
    Being led to the promiseland by TIMMAY!!!

Re: This is a little outrageous! Pairwise Benefits for ECAC vs. Hockey East, WCHA, CC

*****http://www.smiley-faces.org/smiley-faces/smiley-face-popcorn.gif******
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Re: This is a little outrageous! Pairwise Benefits for ECAC vs. Hockey East, WCHA, CC

The ECAC will get whatever the Pairwise says they deserve. And if the Pairwise says 4 ECAC teams are in then I think it will be detrimental to the level of competition our sport aspires for to allow an "UNDESERVING ACCORDING TO THE PAIRWISE" HE, WCHA or CCHA team in .
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by Howitz-ah View Post
        Get ready to blast me if you want to, ECAC’ers, but rather than take bitter offense, just give me your thoughts:

I have to piggy back what Jim Connelly wrote on the Hockey East blog this week.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very happy to see Yale’s success and I’m in no way implying that they can’t skate with the other leagues. I’m also glad to see the competition and bar-raising going on in the conference as a whole.

But at this point, if the season ended tomorrow, having 4 ECAC teams in the 16 would be detrimental to the level of competition our sport aspires for. Sure, HEA, WCHA and CCHA seem to take turns putting 4, 5, even as many as 6 teams in the tourney – but if your conference gets ‘more than their share’ of bids, they better, as a whole, put out a level of play backing that up. Those 3 conferences, by and large, do.

By every Frozen Four of recent memory, it’s been easy to forget the ECAC was even involved with their lackluster offerings of competition despite what those participants looked like in the regular season. This year has been a better regular season for the conference as a whole, but I’d like to rest assured that they are actually contributing to the best field of competition we could hope for.

------
        Since expanding the field to 16 teams in 2003, this league has hardly been competitive.
        Receiving 16 bids during those 8 years, they have combined for a whopping 6 wins. 4 of those 6 were by Cornell.

That stat means the ECAC has averaged 0.38 wins for every bid they’ve received in the tournament since 2003. Here’s the rest of the leagues for comparison

Hockey East: 1.38 wins per bid
        WCHA: 1.20 wins per bid
        CCHA: 0.92 wins per bid
        ECAC: 0.38 wins per bid

The league has offered dismal post-season competition, and at this point, would make up ¼ of the field. This, while teams like Miami, Boston University and Maine aren’t even given a shot to compete.

Yale’s a shoo-in for me – but, honestly, if you had any combo of the following matchups:

RPI, Union and Dartmouth vs. Miami, Boston University and Maine

I’m not sure you can convince me the ECAC wins 2 out of those 3 games.
        Hockey East fan here, but I think the league is down as a whole. BC is obviously very good, as they have been consistently for 13 years now. Unfortunately, Maine and BU have made their own beds by incompetent performances. The Terriers lost to RPI and Brown in consecutive games by scores of 4-1 and 6-1, respectively. Maine should not have gone 0-1-2 against Connecticut and Michigan State. I know last year means nothing in terms of Pairwise, but Union beat Maine 4-1 and 6-3 last year. Also, Dartmouth and St. Lawrence have beaten Hockey East's top team in the standings, UNH. The ECAC has performed better this year than in the past. I'm not saying it will mean more success in the NCAAs, but it is what it is.

In the end, I believe everything will work itself out. I have a feeling only 2 or 3 ECAC teams.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
          The ECAC will get whatever the Pairwise says they deserve. And if the Pairwise says 4 ECAC teams are in then I think it will be detrimental to the level of competition our sport aspires for to allow an "UNDESERVING ACCORDING TO THE PAIRWISE" HE, WCHA or CCHA team in .
          Even though the equations were adjusted mid-season, bolstering ECAC teams and hurting teams of other conferences?

Maine dropped from #10 to #18 when they made that change.

Comment

The formula is what it is. I think it will be detrimental to the level of competition our sport aspires for to allow an "UNDESERVING ACCORDING TO THE PAIRWISE" HE, WCHA or CCHA team in and I stand by this.
            Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
            And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
            WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
            If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Even though the equations were adjusted mid-season, bolstering ECAC teams and hurting teams of other conferences?

Maine dropped from #10 to #18 when they made that change.
              I do not believe they were adjusted mid-season. The two college hockey sites just did not know about the new policies/rules, unless I am missing something. Again, win more games. All three Hockey East teams on the bubble have lost games they should not have, as I said above. UNH and BU both have lost twice to ECAC teams. The ECAC had their best overall record against WCHA teams in league history.

I guarantee you if Maine went 2-0-1 against Connecticut and MSU instead of 0-1-2 and not blown a third period lead to UNH at home, they would not be sitting on the outside looking in.

Comment

Originally posted by irishfan85 View Post
                Hockey East fan here, but I think the league is down as a whole. BC is obviously very good, as they have been consistently for 13 years now. Unfortunately, Maine and BU have made their own beds by incompetent performances. The Terriers lost to RPI and Brown in consecutive games by scores of 4-1 and 6-1, respectively. Maine should not have gone 0-1-2 against Connecticut and Michigan State. I know last year means nothing in terms of Pairwise, but Union beat Maine 4-1 and 6-3 last year. Also, Dartmouth and St. Lawrence have beaten Hockey East's top team in the standings, UNH. The ECAC has performed better this year than in the past. I'm not saying it will mean more success in the NCAAs, but it is what it is.

In the end, I believe everything will work itself out. I have a feeling only 2 or 3 ECAC teams.
                Very good points. But just to touch up:

The Union thing: I don't consider sweeping David Wilson in the season opening weekend an accomplishment.
                The UNH thing: in all fairness, Dartmouth beat them in Manchester. UNH would likely lose to a jr high school team at the Verizon center. St Lawrence's 'tender stole one from them, but I'd love to see them do it twice.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  The formula is what it is. I think it will be detrimental to the level of competition our sport aspires for to allow an "UNDESERVING ACCORDING TO THE PAIRWISE" HE, WCHA or CCHA team in and I stand by this.
                  So you think the ECAC wins 2 out of 3?
                  -Miami vs. RPI
                  -BU vs. Union
                  -Maine vs. Dartmouth

Comment

The Union thing: I don't consider sweeping David Wilson in the season opening weekend an accomplishment.
                    The UNH thing: in all fairness, Dartmouth beat them in Manchester. UNH would likely lose to a jr high school team at the Verizon center. St Lawrence's 'tender stole one from them, but I'd love to see them do it twice.
                    So we go with "fake wins"? By some accounts, MN stole one from UND a couple weeks ago. So that shouldn't count in the PWR?

I had thoughts that you were a troll or a moron, but now I think you're both.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

All sorts of excuses. Lame. Hockey East and WCHA have been the top two conferences in college hockey for quite some time now. Hockey East is having an off year. Get over it and as I said, the teams should have won more games and they would not be in this predicament.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        So we go with "fake wins"? By some accounts, MN stole one from UND a couple weeks ago. So that shouldn't count in the PWR?

I had thoughts that you were a troll or a moron, but now I think you're both.
                        Nope, wins are wins, but would they happen in March?

Comment

No. Dartmouth couldn't beat a rug in March cause the EZAC isn't good at hockey.
                          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

I dunno. Ask RIT. Or BSU. Or even Holy Cross.

It doesn't matter what happens in the post-season, if you want to question the PWR. It is what happens in the regular season. Hey, I don't think the EZAC is really good, but this argument is ludicrous, and I'm being polite.

Comment

Actually, now that I've had half a second to think about it, a "would they win in March?" SHOULD be a factor in the PWR! It's a brilliant idea!

Smoky Room Occupant #1: Hm, Brown is on the bubble, but really, would they win in March?
                              SRO#2: Naw, they play in a terrible conference; they're a flash in the pan. Leave them there.
                              SRO#1: What about Yale?
                              SRO#3: Well.....they did beat UND that one year.....eh, they get some bonus points for that. They can retain their high ranking.

Comment

Working...
                              X