Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

  1. #1
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    I'm 99.8 percent sure there are no ballots this week...
    But...

    Just for fun...this is what I came up with.

    1.St. Norbert
    2.Williams
    3.Oswego
    4.Bowdoin
    5.Manhattanville
    6.Gustavus Adolphus
    7.Norwich
    8.Geneseo
    9.Hamline
    10.Adrian
    11.MSOE
    12.Castleton
    13.Utica
    14.St. Thomas
    15.Plattsburgh

    Manhattanville is in fifth place in the ECAC West and should be around 5th in the country....
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Rochester, NY USA
    Posts
    5,986

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I'm 99.8 percent sure there are no ballots this week...
    In which case you would be 99.8% incorrect.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

  3. #3
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
    In which case you would be 99.8% incorrect.
    Thanks Russell
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,968

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    The D1 poll is up now. I would expect the D3 poll should be following shortly.


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  5. #5
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    The D1 poll is up now. I would expect the D3 poll should be following shortly.
    Yup. The deadline was 2 p.m. I'd expect to see something within the next 30 minutes.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  6. #6
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    12 minutes later...here we are:

    Code:
    USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll
    Minneapolis, Minn./January 3, 2011
    
       Team       (First Place)         Record   Pts  Last Week
     1 St. Norbert         (12)         11-2-0   291     2
     2 Oswego              ( 5)         13-2-0   272     1
     3 Williams            ( 3)          7-0-1   271     3
     4 Bowdoin                           6-1-0   224     5
     5 Gustavus Adolphus                 9-3-1   189     6
     6 Manhattanville                   10-3-1   183    10
     7 Norwich                           6-3-1   175     4
     8 Geneseo                           8-3-2   149     8
     9 Adrian                            9-3-0   118     7
    10 Hamline                           7-3-1   101    12
    11 Milwaukee School of Engineering   9-2-0    95     9
    12 Castleton                         8-2-0    72    14
    13 Utica                             9-4-0    70    12
    14 Neumann                           7-4-2    50    11
    15 Hobart                            7-3-1    36    NR
    
    Others Receiving Votes: Plattsburgh 32, St. Thomas 23, 
    Wisconsin-Superior 15, Wisconsin-Stout 12, 
    Wisconsin-Eau Claire 10, Plymouth State 4, Amherst 3, 
    Curry 2, Massachusetts-Dartmouth 2, Hamilton 1
    
    The USCHO.com Poll is compiled weekly and consists of 20 voters, including 18 coaches of Division III programs and two men's hockey writers. USCHO.com provides in-depth coverage of college hockey.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, New York
    Posts
    609

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    PLATTY DOESN'T CRACK THE TOP 15 AGAIN?! Gesh.
    Plattsburgh State Cardinals
    1992 & 2001 NCAA Division III Ice Hockey Champions
    21 SUNYAC Championships

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,968

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    12 minutes later...here we are:

    Code:
    USCHO.com Division III Men's Poll
    Minneapolis, Minn./January 3, 2011
    
       Team       (First Place)         Record   Pts  Last Week
     1 St. Norbert         (12)         11-2-0   291     2
     2 Oswego              ( 5)         13-2-0   272     1
     3 Williams            ( 3)          7-0-1   271     3
     4 Bowdoin                           6-1-0   224     5
     5 Gustavus Adolphus                 9-3-1   189     6
     6 Manhattanville                   10-3-1   183    10
     7 Norwich                           6-3-1   175     4
     8 Geneseo                           8-3-2   149     8
     9 Adrian                            9-3-0   118     7
    10 Hamline                           7-3-1   101    12
    11 Milwaukee School of Engineering   9-2-0    95     9
    12 Castleton                         8-2-0    72    14
    13 Utica                             9-4-0    70    12
    14 Neumann                           7-4-2    50    11
    15 Hobart                            7-3-1    36    NR
    
    Others Receiving Votes: Plattsburgh 32, St. Thomas 23, 
    Wisconsin-Superior 15, Wisconsin-Stout 12, 
    Wisconsin-Eau Claire 10, Plymouth State 4, Amherst 3, 
    Curry 2, Massachusetts-Dartmouth 2, Hamilton 1
    
    The USCHO.com Poll is compiled weekly and consists of 20 voters, including 18 coaches of Division III programs and two men's hockey writers. USCHO.com provides in-depth coverage of college hockey.
    I really am confused now. Plattsburgh has won six in a row and just beat Neuman (ranked #11 at the time). They also beat Norwich (ranked #1 at the time). Of their 4 losses, 1 is to #2 Oswego in a close game and to #8 Genesseo (1st game of the reg season). This leaves the other two losses to unranked Buff State and Morrisville, both conference opponents who are notorious for pulling out wins when it is not expected. If anyone can explain this, please do.


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  9. #9
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    I really am confused now. Plattsburgh has won six in a row and just beat Neuman (ranked #11 at the time). They also beat Norwich (ranked #1 at the time). Of their 4 losses, 1 is to #2 Oswego in a close game and to #8 Genesseo (1st game of the reg season). This leaves the other two losses to unranked Buff State and Morrisville, both conference opponents who are notorious for pulling out wins when it is not expected. If anyone can explain this, please do.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardsFan91 View Post
    PLATTY DOESN'T CRACK THE TOP 15 AGAIN?! Gesh.
    I'm as perplexed as you guys are. Apparently the pollsters just haven't forgiven Platty's poor start for whatever reason. It's quite shocking honestly because when you have a name like Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Norwich, St. Norbert you often are given a lot of leeway one way or the other in polls like this, Hence how Middlebury was still receiving votes at 2-4.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  10. #10
    Larry Normandin norm1909's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Morrisonville, NY
    Posts
    8,737

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    I'm as perplexed as you guys are. Apparently the pollsters just haven't forgiven Platty's poor start for whatever reason. It's quite shocking honestly because when you have a name like Plattsburgh, Middlebury, Norwich, St. Norbert you often are given a lot of leeway one way or the other in polls like this, Hence how Middlebury was still receiving votes at 2-4.
    Agreed, but it does go against the norm for this poll.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

    Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

    God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

    Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

    Twitter w/ Bob Emery

    WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

    Pen pals

    D3HOCKEY.com

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    128

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    At the end of the day the polls are fun for us to debate and see where our team is at but they are relatively meaningless. Plattsburgh may still be out of the poll but nobody wants to face them in the playoffs, just like nobody wants to face a Hobart team at #15 or Utica at #13.

    There are a lot of very good teams (nobody has emerged as truly great just yet, IMHO) and the relative parity makes for an exciting next couple months of DIII hockey.

    Happy New Year, Boys!

  12. #12
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyjunkie10 View Post
    At the end of the day the polls are fun for us to debate and see where our team is at but they are relatively meaningless. Plattsburgh may still be out of the poll but nobody wants to face them in the playoffs, just like nobody wants to face a Hobart team at #15 or Utica at #13.

    There are a lot of very good teams (nobody has emerged as truly great just yet, IMHO) and the relative parity makes for an exciting next couple months of DIII hockey.

    Happy New Year, Boys!
    Agreed. I can't remember a year where we have had so many teams pick up losses so quickly and now start to stockpile them.

    The #1 team in the nation has two losses and almost every other ranked team has around 2-4. That's incredible.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, New York
    Posts
    609
    IF (and that's a big IF) Plattsburgh defeats Norwich tomorrow night for the second time and handles Elmira Saturday...you would think they could crack the top 15.

    P.S- I think Plattsburgh's winning streak is at seven, not six.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, New York
    Posts
    609

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Jaslow, did you have Plattsburgh in the top 15? If not, what is your reasoning?

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    128

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by CardsFan91 View Post
    Jaslow, did you have Plattsburgh in the top 15? If not, what is your reasoning?
    hahaha you can't put him on the spot like that!

  16. #16
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    I really am confused now. Plattsburgh has won six in a row and just beat Neuman (ranked #11 at the time). They also beat Norwich (ranked #1 at the time). Of their 4 losses, 1 is to #2 Oswego in a close game and to #8 Genesseo (1st game of the reg season). This leaves the other two losses to unranked Buff State and Morrisville, both conference opponents who are notorious for pulling out wins when it is not expected. If anyone can explain this, please do.
    Quote Originally Posted by CardsFan91 View Post
    IF (and that's a big IF) Plattsburgh defeats Norwich tomorrow night for the second time and handles Elmira Saturday...you would think they could crack the top 15.

    P.S- I think Plattsburgh's winning streak is at seven, not six.
    That's an awfully tough sweep, but at least both games are at home.

    I'd put Plattsburgh in the top 10 if they swept the next two games.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Plattsburgh, NY
    Posts
    2,968

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by CardsFan91 View Post
    IF (and that's a big IF) Plattsburgh defeats Norwich tomorrow night for the second time and handles Elmira Saturday...you would think they could crack the top 15.

    P.S- I think Plattsburgh's winning streak is at seven, not six.
    You are correct, it started with St Johns in the Prime Link!


    "FEAR THE BIRD!"

  18. #18
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,796

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    Agreed. I can't remember a year where we have had so many teams pick up losses so quickly and now start to stockpile them.

    The #1 team in the nation has two losses and almost every other ranked team has around 2-4. That's incredible.
    If you look at my computer rankings (shameless plug) you can see that the top teams are very close together, while the teams on the bottom are pretty stretched in the negative direction. It's the classical negative skew. 68 ratings points separate positions 1 and 10, while 131 points separate positions 68 and 77. Lots of good teams, but none are great. There are also a few truly awful teams.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    140

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Can someone please tell me why all the love for Gustavus? What have they done to deserve a #6 ranking?

  20. #20
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,550

    Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

    Quote Originally Posted by puckrfactor View Post
    Can someone please tell me why all the love for Gustavus? What have they done to deserve a #6 ranking?
    Because they were in the finals two years ago and had another darn good season last year. They started out ranked pretty high despite losing Lopes and Martinson, which I didn't understand and they have been fortunate that when they have lost, the teams around them have also lost so they have stayed right about where they started the year.

    It's just the way the polls work. You reap the benefits from what you did last year until you grossly prove otherwise. Look at what Norwich has done so far this year. Who have they beat? No one and they have lost to every good team they have played. If they didn't win the national championship last year, they'd be a borderline top 15 team right now.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •