Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI at UAH 12/30/10 & 12/31/10

Originally posted by burgie12 View Post
    I'm headed out the door in a half-hour and hope to come back to North Carolina on Saturday with two more marks in the win column!

GO RPI!

ETA: If anyone (UAH or RPI) wants to say "Hi," I'll be wearing a red hooded sweatshirt that says "RPI." I respond to Steve or burgie.
    Be Safe !!!
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

From the UAH post-game press release:

The Engineer's goal came later in the period after a very scary moment for all in attendance as RPI freshman Brock Higgs was injured when a teammate's skate sliced his neck open. Higgs was rushed to Huntsville Hospital where he was stabilized.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGuy View Post
        Our SID texted me after that. Brock was stable and alert around 10:30, and they were headed to surgery. The blade missed his carotid artery. His family had made the trip to Huntsville, and our interim AD is there with him. Scary moment, and I'm really hoping he makes a quick, full recovery.

Oh, and burgie12: either g@saveuahhockey.com or gfmorris@gfmorris.net with that resume.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Also: sorry for not hitting up this thread before now. Also, yes, there are a lot of engineers around here: at one point, Huntsville had the highest per capita concentration of Ph.D.'s in the nation. NASA Marshall Space Flight Center, US Army's Redstone Arsenal, and Cummings Research Park drive a lot of that.

Personally, I'm 2002 UAH BSE MAE, back when the department wasn't the biggest major on campus [that happened a couple years later]. I worked in manned spaceflight for a decade and managed a lot of hardware that flies on the International Space Station. Fun place to see your work.

Good RPI presence tonight, especially those that responded to a mild taunt I made towards York with "scoreboard!" Appropriate.

Tight game. Felt like RPI was skating half-speed early and not capitalizing on UAH turnovers. Our guys got their hitting game going early and kept it physical all game. Many RPI shots went wide.

Fluky bounces, knocked the glass out twice, bad ice [it's been cold but warmed up today], had a check take out the scoreboard ... just another night at the VBC. [I'm so ready to have an on-campus rink. Not happening in the next five years.]

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            Oh, and burgie12: either g@saveuahhockey.com or gfmorris@gfmorris.net with that resume.
            Thanks, Geof. Does anyone else know of a company looking for a graduating Chemical Engineer?
            Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Further news: surgery is complete and Brock is resting comfortably in a private room at Huntsville Hospital. For those wondering, it's about seven blocks from the VBC to HH.

GFM
              Geof F. Morris
              UAH BSE MAE 2002
              UAHHockey.com

Comment

Record article on Thursday's game with details about Brock Higgs' injury http://www.troyrecord.com/articles/2...mode=fullstory.

Renssealer? Well, I can't blame Ed Weaver for that one.
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-31-2010, 01:42 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

So it was a redirect. I just saw Bailen toss it on net as he was about to be checked into the boards.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Unfortuante injury to Brock-I hope his recovery is quick and uneventful. he adds a lot to this team. I guess a skate caught him in one of the very few vulnerable areas that are ot covered by pads or face mask. Thankfully it was not either carotid that got cut or the result could have been catastrophic. Great job by the RPI team staff and players and Brock himself to get him stabilized or this could have turned out very badly. Not sure if there is ever any way to prevent this sort of thing. Have seen the same type of injury on TV before (Clint Malarchuk comes to mind) and it is just plain scary. The win was nice but is secondary to the health of our boys-get back quickly Brock!!
                    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

The only way to prevent it is for every player to wear throat guards. That seems unlikely, as they keep in body heat and can restrict how fast you swivel your head around, or so players have told me. If someone can develop one for skaters that do the job and be comfortable, I'm sure the NCAA would require it.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
                        Unfortuante injury to Brock-I hope his recovery is quick and uneventful. he adds a lot to this team. I guess a skate caught him in one of the very few vulnerable areas that are ot covered by pads or face mask. Thankfully it was not either carotid that got cut or the result could have been catastrophic. Great job by the RPI team staff and players and Brock himself to get him stabilized or this could have turned out very badly. Not sure if there is ever any way to prevent this sort of thing. Have seen the same type of injury on TV before (Clint Malarchuk comes to mind) and it is just plain scary. The win was nice but is secondary to the health of our boys-get back quickly Brock!!
                        It is good to hear that he is stabalized and resting in the hospital. Last night on the scores thread you mentioned that the players were well protected. The first thing that I thought was, the neck is not protected. I just didn't want to speculate on such a serious injury.
                        Brock, get well quick.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

The only way to prevent it is for every player to wear throat guards. That seems unlikely, as they keep in body heat and can restrict how fast you swivel your head around, or so players have told me. If someone can develop one for skaters that do the job and be comfortable, I'm sure the NCAA would require it.
                          Not to get medieval on you, but the knights wore a garment that came over their heads and flowed around their necks. I am not suggesting chainmail, but with modern technology and the latest fabrics, I am sure that something that goes over the head in a similar fashion could help protect that area.
                          Just a thought
                          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                          Benjamin Franklin
                          Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            Not to get medieval on you, but the knights wore a garment that came over their heads and flowed around their necks. I am not suggesting chainmail, but with modern technology and the latest fabrics, I am sure that something that goes over the head in a similar fashion could help protect that area.
                            Just a thought
                            Goalies have throat guards that are closed with a velcro strap on the back of the neck. I'm not sure if the NCAA requires those for goalies, but I haven't seen a UAH guy that didn't wear one.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Goalies have throat guards that are closed with a velcro strap on the back of the neck. I'm not sure if the NCAA requires those for goalies, but I haven't seen a UAH guy that didn't wear one.

GFM
                              Part of the procedure for referees in game protocol, according to the NCAA handbook (page HR-96), is to check each starting goaltender's throat strap. However, according to Rule 3 Section 3-d (page HR-35), throat guards for goaltenders are only a recommendation.
                              Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 12-31-2010, 08:22 AM.

Comment

GFM
                                Goalie throat guards are to protect the throat from shots. It does not protect the side or back of the neck. Skaters would need something else.
                                Benjamin Franklin
                                Gary Player

Comment

Working...
                                X