Another Computer Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Computer Question

So, my current computer (Sony Vaio) is on it's last breath. I think I'll need to get a new one soon, I kind of want a MacBook. Will my Microsoft Office files be able to run on a Mac OS? And my music files? I have iTunes so all my music is converted over to that format, but I'd need to copy all of it anyways. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Re: Another Computer Question

Originally posted by collegehcky2 View Post
    So, my current computer (Sony Vaio) is on it's last breath. I think I'll need to get a new one soon, I kind of want a MacBook. Will my Microsoft Office files be able to run on a Mac OS? And my music files? I have iTunes so all my music is converted over to that format, but I'd need to copy all of it anyways. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?
    Yes and Yes, provided you get Office for your new laptop. Really no different than trying to open a PDF on an apple vs. a pc anymore.

Comment

Ok I thought I would resurrect a thread instead of starting my own...I'm trying to do some excel vba macro stuff and I've hit a major bump. What was trying to do is create some if statements to determine which macro to run...There is possible relevant data in 2 cells BC7 and BC8

BC7 can look like the following:
      e0 #1WL pitcher-4 relief(1)/N@
      e0 #1WR pitcher-4 relief(1)/6@
      e10 #3WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@
      e12 #1WR pitcher-3 starter(7)@
      e17 #5WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@
      e17 #5WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@
      e7 #6NL pitcher-1 starter(7)@
      e10 #3WL pitcher-2 starter(6)@

I want to run a specific macro if the cell contains starter and a different one if it contains relief

BC8 can look like the following:

bunting-A relief(3)/N@
      bunting-B relief(3)/0@
      bunting-C relief(3)/N@
      bunting-C relief(2)/6@
      bunting-A
      bunting-B
      bunting-C

I want to run a specific macro if the cell contains relief or nothing special if it doesn't.

I thought I could do
      Range("BC7").Select
      If Activecell = "*starter*" then
      Application.Run "StratCardAnalysis.xls!StarterBC7"
      End If
      Range("BC7").Select
      If Activecell = "*relief*" then
      Application.Run "StratCardAnalysis.xls!ReliefBC7"
      End If
      Range("BC8").Select
      If Activecell = "*relief*" then
      Application.Run "StratCardAnalysis.xls!ReliefBC8"
      End If

But the = "*whatever*" isn't working...help?
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I don't know VB or .NET so this may or may not work. Approaching it as someone who used to do a lot of coding in other languages.

You don't need to ask: is "bunting-C relief(3)/N@" EQUAL TO "*relief*" (which is what you do with your statement: If Activecell = "*relief*" then ... )

Instead you need to ask: "relief" PRESENT WITHIN "is bunting-C relief(3)/N@"

A quick Google search shows that there is a fn called "InStr()" which should accomplish this for you.
        http://www.aivosto.com/vbtips/instr.html

InStr([start,] string1, string2 [, compare])

So:
        if InStr(ActiveCell, "relief") == NULL

etc.

Here it is.. the day I am finally coding on the USCHO boards. Only took eleven years
        Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

sigpic

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Comment

resurrecting an old thread.

Windows 10, new horses**t computer, lower right of the screen contains multiple popups that go the 'New Notifications'. is this an app that i can turn off somehow???? it's highly annoying. any help would be appeciated.
          Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Settings, system, notifications & actions.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              Settings, system, notifications & actions.
              Seems to have worked. Thanks a lot.
              Fighting Sioux Forever

Comment

Originally posted by MadTownSioux View Post
                Seems to have worked. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Nice phishing attack today.

Got an email acknowledging an Apple purchase I hadn't made. So first I send it (like an idiot) to my wife and daughter asking them if they ordered something (it looks like the kind of thing my daughter would get as a present for her boyfriend). I was at least smart enough to not click anything in it. Get home, dig up my account info (I never use that account), log into my account through Apple itself (ignoring the links in the email) and verify nothing has been purchased against it.

It would have been easy and natural to follow the link in the email to "Apple" and log in, thus giving them them my info.

Thank you work training. It didn't help that the official Apple login page is itself not prefaced by "https://", another thing I look for, but instead by some secureid string generated by the login which, yeah, very clever but f-ck you Apple.

Be careful out there. The Dumpbotskis are getting smarter. The email, needless to say, exactly matched official Apple correspondence.
                  Last edited by Kepler; 12-11-2019, 10:46 PM.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So this isn't exactly a computer question but maybe someone here can help me figure something out. I can't seem to get my ipads to recognize the microphone on a TRRS cable. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
                    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Nice phishing attack today.

Got an email acknowledging an Apple purchase I hadn't made. So first I send it (like an idiot) to my wife and daughter asking them if they ordered something (it looks like the kind of thing my daughter would get as a present for her boyfriend). I was at least smart enough to not click anything in it. Get home, dig up my account info (I never use that account), log into my account through Apple itself (ignoring the links in the email) and verify nothing has been purchased against it.

It would have been easy and natural to follow the link in the email to "Apple" and log in, thus giving them them my info.

Thank you work training. It didn't help that the official Apple login page is itself not prefaced by "https://", another thing I look for, but instead by some secureid string generated by the login which, yeah, very clever but f-ck you Apple.

Be careful out there. The Dumpbotskis are getting smarter. The email, needless to say, exactly matched official Apple correspondence.
                      2-factor for everything.
                      Never ever trust an email.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Microsoft 365 Business Outlook users:

Outlook has to be restarted every day in order to get it to link with email provider.

This didn't use to happen, but started about 6 months ago. I have followed every possible fix that Microsoft has suggested on their troubleshooting sights.

I use GoDaddy for my email server.

Anyone run into a similar issue?
                        Clarkson Men's/Women’s Hockey
                        ECAC RS: Men: 66, 77, 81, 82, 91, 95, 97, 99, 01, 08 Women: 14, 15, 17, 18
                        ECAC Tourney: Men: 66, 91, 93, 99, 07,19 Women: 17, 18, 19
                        NCAA Tourn Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 81, 82, 84, 90, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 07, 08, 18, 19 Women: 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
                        NCAA Frozen 4 Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 91 Women: 14, 16, 17, 18, 19
                        NCAA TITLES: Men: Women: 2014 2017 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Earl_Leatherland View Post
                          Microsoft 365 Business Outlook users:

Outlook has to be restarted every day in order to get it to link with email provider.

This didn't use to happen, but started about 6 months ago. I have followed every possible fix that Microsoft has suggested on their troubleshooting sights.

I use GoDaddy for my email server.

Anyone run into a similar issue?
                          How do you have it setup? Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc.?

Does it crash, just not connect, not load...?

Have you tried appending "_old" your outlook profiles and creating a new one through the system mail application?
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

How do you have it setup? Exchange, POP, IMAP, etc.? IMAP

Does it crash, just not connect, not load...? Gets caught in a loop during the "Outlook Send/Receive Progress". Pop up window says "1 of 2 Tasks have completed successfully". The second task, where it is "Synchronizing subscribed folders for emailaddress@emailadress.com" and "Checking for new mail in subscribed folders on emailaddress@emailadress.com" just never gets completed.

Have you tried appending "_old" your outlook profiles and creating a new one through the system mail application? Yes
                            Clarkson Men's/Women’s Hockey
                            ECAC RS: Men: 66, 77, 81, 82, 91, 95, 97, 99, 01, 08 Women: 14, 15, 17, 18
                            ECAC Tourney: Men: 66, 91, 93, 99, 07,19 Women: 17, 18, 19
                            NCAA Tourn Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 81, 82, 84, 90, 91, 92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 07, 08, 18, 19 Women: 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
                            NCAA Frozen 4 Appearance: Men: 57, 58, 62, 63, 66, 70, 91 Women: 14, 16, 17, 18, 19
                            NCAA TITLES: Men: Women: 2014 2017 2018

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              2-factor for everything
                              Word.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X