ND Irish @ UND Fighting Sioux - Battle of the Human Mascots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ND Irish @ UND Fighting Sioux - Battle of the Human Mascots

If the Sioux play like they did 5 out of 6 periods last weekend, I think we will be just fine against the Irish this weekend. Jeff Jackson has a good squad as usual though, so it should be a great series.

Even though all of the students are gone, the Ralph is expecting sell outs both nights. The Herald reported this morning that the Sioux are drawing bigger crowds than three NHL teams (Atlanta, NY Islanders, and Pheonix), which is just awesome. I hope that someone tells Bettman that. You can find the story HERE.

I'm looking forward to a great series - GO SIOUX!
    GO SIOUX
    GO LAKERS

NCAA Champions:
    1959 1963 1980 1982 1987 1988 1992 1994 1997 2000

Comment

Good win by Sioux last night ! They played really well! The player of the game for me was trupp he has all over the ice last night and he is always moving the puck. Now let's finish the tonight!
      Fighting Sioux Hockey

Waiting the arrival of the ZANE!!!!!

Superman Wears Evan Trupp pj's to bed!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jdr1 View Post
        Good win by Sioux last night ! They played really well! The player of the game for me was trupp he has all over the ice last night and he is always moving the puck. Now let's finish the tonight!
        Agreed. The Sioux played well, and caught Notre Dame off guard in the first. It could have been much worse than 2-0 after 1 (and probably should have given the no-goal call on Frattin...not sure what they saw there). Notre Dame finally got settled in the 2nd and from there it was a much better game. I think tonight will mirror the 2nd and 3rd periods of last night, and we'll see a much closer game.

In nets I was pleased with Dell's play. He made some big stops, and didn't let in any weak goals. He's our #1 goalie right now, and is making it difficult for Hakstol to put Eidsness in.

Hopefully the Sioux can get the sweep tonight.
        North Dakota
        National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Man, did anyone else get the feeling this game could have been 5 or 6 to nothing before Notre Dame bothered to run a couple of decent shifts together and score? North Dakota out-hustled them from the first face-off to the final buzzer. It's always nice to see teams with a lot of talent still go out and flat out outwork their opponent, like the Sioux did. For most of this year that's what I saw in Notre Dame. Not yesterday. I have to think Notre Dame comes out with a better effort tonight. Hell, a lousy effort would still be more of an effort than what they came out with last night. Congrats to North Dakota on the win.

Comment

I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised; but wow, Riley Sheahan is a beast. Looked like he put in a lot of double shifts and still managed to blow by some of the Sioux's fastest players. I thought Ridderwall had a pretty good game as well. I was a little disgusted with the third period effort from the Sioux, and somewhat expect a Notre Dame blowout tonight. Although it's proven to be tough if you go down early against the Sioux.

Comment

Well, I guess I won't be mad with a win and a tie. In all seriousness though, it should've been a sweep. Props to ND for fighting back to get a tie.

Comment

A great effort from both teams tonight. Notre Dame really stepped it up. Question for the Notre Dame fans - how does their play tonight compare to their other games so far?

Comment

Originally posted by blather View Post
                  A great effort from both teams tonight. Notre Dame really stepped it up. Question for the Notre Dame fans - how does their play tonight compare to their other games so far?
                  Eesh. Still got out worked. Coasted to pucks too much. Took too many penalties. Yesterday was NOT the team I've watched for the past 2 months. Tonight was closer to the team I'm used to, but still odd. Calle Ridderwall never, never, never makes bad plays or whiffs on pucks. And he did plenty of both this weekend. Riley Sheahan had a bad game yesterday, but started to return to form tonight (he's great shorthanded). Normally they have great puck control, can cycle the puck til the other team is blue in the face and are deadly on the PK. Didn't see enough of that this weekend (although they did add another shortie to the list). I hope to return to form next weekend.
                  "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by dolan View Post
                    Well, I guess I won't be mad with a win and a tie. In all seriousness though, it should've been a sweep. Props to ND for fighting back to get a tie.
                    Yeah, the bounces definitely did not go North Dakota's way this evening. It was basically what I expected though. After the first period last night, Notre Dame played well, and it was basically an even series. I think the Sioux had a little bit more of the edge in play tonight, but Notre Dame's goalie put up a heck of an effort.
                    North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                      I hope to return to form next weekend.
                      We hope you dominate the rest of your season...at least until the NCAA Tournament.
                      North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by blather View Post
                        We turn the puck over way too much for most good teams, something that you saw a lot of this weekend. The difference was that North Dakota actually made the Irish pay for it, especially Friday night. I think North Dakota's hustle all weekend negated a lot of the talent you would have normally seen. Our effort Friday night was nothing like the previous 13 games this season. Tonight was a little better in that regard, although I think the Sioux still won more battles for loose pucks and were generally the quicker team. IMO only Boston College made Notre Dame look like the slower team this year, until this weekend. Congrats to North Dakota on winning the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                          Normally they have great puck control, can cycle the puck til the other team is blue in the face and are deadly on the PK. Didn't see enough of that this weekend (although they did add another shortie to the list).
                          The play of UND might have had something to do with that.
                          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Nice weekend of hockey. Would have loved to see a home sweep, but a win/tie is the next closest best thing.
                            What a crazy last few minutes of regulation and then another crazy last minute of OT.
                            I was surprised that ND's tying goal counted...I thought it would have been disallowed for goalie interference.

And then in OT...Frattin's shot clanks the crossbar directly, and then Dell with a huge breakaway save. Both teams with an incredible chance to win with just seconds remaining.

Trupp was 0 for 2 on clean breakaways this weekend. If he would have scored on his tonight, that could have been the nail in the coffin.
                            Kristo is so snakebitten...he had so many good chances, but nothing.

Good luck the rest of the way, ND.
                            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Homer: But Marge! I was a political prisoner!
                              Marge: How were you a political prisoner?
                              Homer: I kicked a giant mouse in the butt! Do I have to draw you a picture?
                              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Nice to See that the Sioux never trailed in this series and earned 3 points.

But did anyone see how Brett Hextall got his upper body injury?
                                "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Working...
                                X