X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nov. 10, 1975 - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    http://www.mischkemadness.com/audiof...fitzgerald.mp3

One of the greatest radio bits of all time.
    Is that last caller real, or is it just another part of the joke?
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Real most likely.

Mischke used to be on late night so he would get some odd calls.

He's one of the greatest radio personalities that have ever lived.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Real most likely.

Mischke used to be on late night so he would get some odd calls.

He's one of the greatest radio personalities that have ever lived.
        Oh. Well that was awkward then.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

For the record, the lead up to the interview is absolutely fantastic if you listened to Mischke for a while. He had a great relationship with his listeners and grew many lasting friendships with his regular callers.

I really encourage people to listen to more of the shows on that page. He's very hit or miss but his hits I'll remember for the rest of my life
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

40 years...
            I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

The search tapes still make the hairs on my neck stand up

Comment

Been thinking about the 40th anniversary a lot recently and today being that day it's an quite an important anniversary. I wasn't close to be alive for when it happened but it fascinates me to no end.

Have been discussing its historical significance. In the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes Region it's definitely number two for maritime tragedies/famous shipwrecks. I'd argue number 2 most famous in North America, but that could be a stretch. Perhaps others have some thoughts on this.
                tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                  Been thinking about the 40th anniversary a lot recently and today being that day it's an quite an important anniversary. I wasn't close to be alive for when it happened but it fascinates me to no end.

Have been discussing its historical significance. In the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes Region it's definitely number two for maritime tragedies/famous shipwrecks. I'd argue number 2 most famous in North America, but that could be a stretch. Perhaps others have some thoughts on this.
                  The Andrea Doria has a strong case for #2 on the East Coast, for sure, if not the entire US.

Comment

In the Upper Midwest/Great Lakes Region it's definitely number two for maritime tragedies/famous shipwrecks.
                    What's #1?

Comment

FWIW, as someone who grew up in the south, I'd never even heard of it, and I could have probably listed at least 20 other shipwrecks. I can't say for sure, but this board may very well be the first place I heard of the Edmund Fitzgerald.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I can get the regionalism point... I honestly can't say that I can recall a single wreck in the Pacific off the top of my head... Just like I'm sure there are people from Seattle who have never heard of the Fitz...

Every maritime region has their own stories that have shaped the culture... Most of them don't get a special on The History Channel however...
                        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                          What's #1?
                          The Titanic.
                          tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            The Andrea Doria has a strong case for #2 on the East Coast, for sure, if not the entire US.
                            51 people? That's it? I thought it was like a thousand. How many people do you lose on a normal cruise? 30? 40?
                            Originally posted by dicaslover
                            Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                            Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

The Titanic.
                              Ah, got it. Based on the wording I was thinking you meant it was #2 in terms of wrecks that have occured in the region, as opposed to #2 overall in the minds of people in the region.

Comment

Stating the obvious here, but Gordon Lightfoot had a lot to do with the Edmund Fitzgerald achieving country-wide fame. Without the song, most people, even in the GL region, would have no memory of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X