Nov. 10, 1975 - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nov. 10, 1975 - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

There is a large ship moored in Duluth (I should know the name) that we've toured and we've watched countless others pass through the lift bridge and yet even then you get a sense of, "the unthinkable" daring Mother Nature. One wonders if those on board saw it coming and if so what they must have been feeling/thinking or if it was truly a one of a kind moment that took but a moment to take her down.

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post
      Having grown up in Michigan all my life it is incredible to see what these lakes can do. If you haven't ever seen them you figure they're just a lake and can't be all that bad, people down here in NC definitely think that, but they are inland oceans and can be every bit as nasty. My heart definitely goes out to all those lost on the lakes over the centuries and their families.
      You can't downplay the type of winter that comes from the Atlantic.

But the Lakes couple these massive bodies of water with the brutal cold coming down from a Canadian land mass that is second only to Siberia in its winter intensity.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

we have shown lots of people ther first view of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. the thing that surprises most people is the thing about not being able to see the other side.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
          we have shown lots of people ther first view of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. the thing that surprises most people is the thing about not being able to see the other side.
          I came to the conclusion as a kid crossing on the Milwaukee Clipper that if you can't see the other side, it's not a lake. And I don't care what you call it! I mean, we have beaches in Chicago, but it's not the same as being out in the middle and not being able to see any land, anywhere.
          2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

technically, I suppose, they should be called inland seas. I've always like the name Sweetwater seas.
            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              There is a large ship moored in Duluth (I should know the name) that we've toured and we've watched countless others pass through the lift bridge and yet even then you get a sense of, "the unthinkable" daring Mother Nature. One wonders if those on board saw it coming and if so what they must have been feeling/thinking or if it was truly a one of a kind moment that took but a moment to take her down.
              William H. Irvin?
              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
              Originally posted by Quizmire
              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Bump:

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot

Fitzgerald Search Tapes

Comment

Having a bunch of friends, along with myself, who work and play on the Great Lakes as recreational fisherman, this is something that I keep on my mind... It's amazing the power that these lakes have... Always respect that...
                  It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Ive been on these boards for a while and dont post much, and just came across this. What memories this brings back and amazing to see that people still follow and how this event impacted them.

By way of background, my mother's uncle was Captain McSorley. I never had an opportunity to meet him, but was in a cousin's 20 foot craft and drove by the Fitzgerald once during a summer vacation to Toledo (we were up on Lake Michigan). I'll also never forget "Aunt Nellie", the captain's wife....just world class and the nicest person you ever met., and definitely had her own way (always referred to as "Crazy Nellie" because she was so unemcumbered).

Absolute tragedy. Thank you all for continuing to follow and seeing what it meant to all of you.

Comment

My history teacher in eighth grade really got me into the Edmund Fitzgerald. Such a moving song.
                      Twitter: DanMountSports
                      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

@NWSMarquette has been tweeting the day's events in "real" time. Really neat, but also pretty eerie.

https://twitter.com/nwsmarquette
                        I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

http://www.mischkemadness.com/audiof...fitzgerald.mp3

One of the greatest radio bits of all time.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Once you fast forward past the seven and a half minutes of dead air and monotonous discussion and repetition of the bit setup, it's actually funny.

Good God could that have used a shorter setup.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I always think of Stan Roger's song "White Squall" when I think of the storms on the Great Lakes. When he did the song on stage, he'd preface it with some stats about boats that were never found, and the lakes had something like ten times the losses of the Bermuda Triangle. Scary stuff, but a beautiful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ4ddAgykfk
                              "This world is your world. Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                Once you fast forward past the seven and a half minutes of dead air and monotonous discussion and repetition of the bit setup, it's actually funny.

Good God could that have used a shorter setup.
                                Oh ****. Sorry. I forgot to mention that.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X