Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nov. 10, 1975 - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
    Having numerous ties to the U.P. and the Great Lakes area, I was taught a lot about this incident. The "Big Fitz" was almost the Titanic of the Great Lakes. The flagship...my dad told me about the absolute shock that swept over the community when the news came.

It's amazing to look at the weather patterns in November on Superior...especially when that storm hit...almost completely unbelievable.

R.I.P. to the 29 brave men who perished on the night.
    Growing up in Minnesota...it was one of the most influencial cultural events of my childhood. To this day, it still haunt the north shore.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

I live in Upstate New York right near the St. Lawrence River and I see the big lakers come by and I love it. I may not have been alive for the actual wreck, but it's still a big deal up here because the Captain had ties to Ogdensburg, NY, which isn't that far from where I live.
      Twitter: DanMountSports
      2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
        Growing up in Minnesota...it was one of the most influencial cultural events of my childhood. To this day, it still haunts the north shore.
        I imagine this feeling is widely shared in all of the Great Lakes states, and of course Ontario. I actually grew up in MN too, including a full summer in Duluth. I loved watching the ore boats in Canal Park. We could also see them from our house, though that was a good ways up the hill. My wife grew up walking distance from the Lake Erie shore in OH, and has similar childhood memories of the boats. Separately we each experienced The Wreck as a huge event. After we met, we each appreciated that the other understood the significance. Later on, we had the privilege of hearing Gordon Lightfoot perform the song, sitting just four rows from the stage. That brought back intense memories. The videos posted here did too. Sincere thanks to Proud2baLaker and bigmrg74.

Comment

This reminds me that I saw the Arthur M. Anderson once or twice in my youth (the 90s), and being a shipwreck buff that was a big deal for me at the time. I just looked it up, and amazingly she is still in service. I can't really begin to imagine which would be worse - going down with the Fitzgerald, or being in the wheelhouse onboard the Anderson, watching the Fitz suddenly disappear from the radar screen, and trying to tell yourself that it must be a glitch or a mistake, but quietly knowing that no one could possibly survive a sinking in that storm. Horrible either way.

Comment

Bringing the thread back in remembrance for all who have been lost on the Lakes.

Comment

Always amazing memories.

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
              Growing up in Minnesota...it was one of the most influencial cultural events of my childhood. To this day, it still haunt the north shore.
              Really was, but God I hate "that song".

I was in Duluth in November, 1985 and taking the bus back to campus from downtown as a big storm hit and remember huge waves almost washing over of the road - the I35 project was in progress and the bus ran along Michigan Ave, IIRC. Some captain anchored too close (so he was over sand instead of rocks) to shore and woke up with his ship aground about 100 yards off of Park Point. Scary strong weather on the big lake.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
              And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
              Twenty red lights in his honor
              Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by dubbie31 View Post
                Having numerous ties to the U.P. and the Great Lakes area, I was taught a lot about this incident. The "Big Fitz" was almost the Titanic of the Great Lakes. The flagship...my dad told me about the absolute shock that swept over the community when the news came.

It's amazing to look at the weather patterns in November on Superior...especially when that storm hit...almost completely unbelievable.

R.I.P. to the 29 brave men who perished on the night.
                Below is a quick animation of the waves during that storm. Crazy to see the sudden burst of huge waves (9+ meters, ~ 30 feet) covering a huge area of the lake and unless you stopped you had no choice but to go through them to get to Whitefish Bay. And then to see that almost the entire lake had waves of at least 10 feet or so. That storm had to be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                  God I hate "that song".
                  Honest? I wonder what would happen if you went into any bar in Michigan today and said that. I've never heard of such a thing.
                  Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                  USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    Honest? I wonder what would happen if you went into any bar in Michigan today and said that. I've never heard of such a thing.
                    Completely. Hate it.
                    I probably wouldn't do that.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

during Hurricane Sandy, news people were talking with awe of 20 foot waves on Lake Michigan. that disnt seem like much. so I looked it up. "theoretically" no wave on the Great Lakes can exceed 26 feet. I imagine many who have sailed the Lakes would disagree. (my dad being one) have heard the Fitz was plowing through 40 footers.

Im blessed to be able to watch the freighters as they come around Keweenaw Point and head for DuLuth or Twin Harbors. Its amazing to see them take a wave
                      that goes over the bow and rolls the whole length of the ship. you can watch the boat pitching not only forwards amd backwards but side to side.
                      Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                      "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                      Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                      Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                        "theoretically" no wave on the Great Lakes can exceed 26 feet.
                        The 1905, 1913, and 1975 storms all easily bust that myth.

We'll never know exactly what happened, but I've heard that when she disappeared, the Fitzgerald had just slammed into a part of the storm that was super intense. The Anderson, sailing several miles behind, lost sight of the Fitzgerald's lights as they both entered that localized intensity. Shortly thereafter, the last radio contact occurred, at which time Capt. McSorley said the infamous, "We are holding our own". When the Anderson emerged some minutes later, the Fitz was gone.

There are a lot of theories of course, but with the boat already taking on water and having reportedly developed "a bad list" according to the crew, a rogue wave could've easily capsized her without warning, which would explain why they never had a chance to issue a mayday. The Anderson logged consistent 25 footers, with occasional 35 footers, so I've always felt that an unexpected 35-40 ft. wave hitting the already-tilting boat was the most plausible theory for the sudden sinking.

Comment

Having grown up in Michigan all my life it is incredible to see what these lakes can do. If you haven't ever seen them you figure they're just a lake and can't be all that bad, people down here in NC definitely think that, but they are inland oceans and can be every bit as nasty. My heart definitely goes out to all those lost on the lakes over the centuries and their families.
                          2005-2006: 7-25-6
                          2006-2007: 18-17-5
                          2007-2008: 14-20-5
                          2008-2009: 6-25-7
                          2009-2010: 5-30-1

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                            You would get your bloody *** kicked you bloody hoser!!!
                            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bose301s View Post

Having grown up in Michigan all my life it is incredible to see what these lakes can do. If you haven't ever seen them you figure they're just a lake and can't be all that bad, people down here in NC definitely think that, but they are inland oceans and can be every bit as nasty. My heart definitely goes out to all those lost on the lakes over the centuries and their families.
                              Exactly. When you can't see the other side of the lake because of the curvature of the earth you don't wanna that lake to mess with ya.
                              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I forgot. Every year I remember the Fitz, but I forgot this year. Good thing this thread was here to remind me.

Comment

Working...
                                X