computer issues: part infinity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: computer issues: part infinity

Get a Motorola surfboard. I think it's something like a 6121.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Get a Motorola surfboard. I think it's something like a 6121.
      Yep, that'd be it. Definitely pays for itself, although you may want something different if you choose to go gigabit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16825122015

Looks like if you want to hook up more than one computer, you'll want to get another switch or router. Should find some good deals in the switches area.

Comment

Because I'm a nerd, I'm trying to apply the college hockey pairwise rankings to other sports using Excel. Initially I was going to do it for all of college football, but after realizing that's a lot of work, I'm starting with just the Big Ten as a test for formulas and whatnot. My set up is probably not ideal, but this is what I've come up with so far. I understand it probably doesn't work due to the limited number of games, but I'm curious and like to play around with Excel from time to time.

Indiana W/L Maryland W/L
        Indiana Indiana W
        Maryland L Maryland
        Michigan L Michigan W
        Michigan St L Michigan St L
        Ohio St L Ohio St L
        Penn St L Penn St W
        Rutgers L Rutgers W
        Illinois Illinois
        Iowa L Iowa W
        Minnesota Minnesota
        Nebraska Nebraska
        Northwestern Norhtwestern
        Purdue W Purdue
        Wisconsin Wisconsin L
        It's worked for me so far with head to head, but I'm running into a problem with common opponent. Since football (95% of the time) only plays each team once per year, I don't really see the need to set up a winning percentage equation, instead just giving a point per win of each common opponent to represent the 1.000 winning percentage against each opponent. (i.e. above, Indiana has 0, Maryland has 4 for their four 1.000 percentages against common opponents with Indiana).

If possible, I would like to be able to set up an If Statement that basically says "If A1 thru A13 and B1 thru B13 share a row with a W or L, count 1 per W."

So far, I've come up empty in my lame attempts and beginning to think that even if such an equation is possible, it would be impossible to simply drag it to recreate for other teams, and would have to retype it for every team. Though that's probably faster than manually counting, especially if I want to try to expand this into other conferences.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I have a PWR spreadsheet I did for college hockey a few years back. It's my masterpiece spreadsheet. Took a couple of rainy weekends to complete but it works.

Some of the equations are batsheet crazy. It has something like 17 MB of formulas for the few KB of data. It also takes 15-30 seconds to recalculate depending on the computer and data changes.

Here's one of the formulas for TUC back when they had that:
          =IFERROR(IF(D$60-D10+D$121-D71+D$182-D132>9,IF(INDEX($C$1:$BJ$60,MATCH("SUM",$C$1:$C$60,0),MATCH($C194,$C$1:$BJ$1,0))-INDEX($C$1:$BJ$60,MATCH(D$185,$C$1:$C$60,0),MATCH( $C194,$C$1:$BJ$1,0))+INDEX($C$62:$BJ$121,MATCH("SUM",$C$62:$C$121,0),MATCH($C194,$C$62:$BJ$62,0))-INDEX($C$62:$BJ$121,MATCH(D$185,$C$62:$C$121,0),MA TCH($C194,$C$62:$BJ$62,0))+INDEX($C$123:$BJ$182,MA TCH("SUM",$C$123:$C$182,0),MATCH($C194,$C$123:$BJ$123,0))-INDEX($C$123:$BJ$182,MATCH(D$185,$C$123:$C$182,0), MATCH($C194,$C$123:$BJ$123,0))>9,IFERROR((SUM(D$2: D$59)+0.5*SUM(D$124: D$181)-HLOOKUP(D$185,'PWR Comp'!$A$184:$BH$243,MATCH($C194,'PWR Comp'!$A$184:$A$243,0),FALSE)-0.5*HLOOKUP(D$185,RPI!$A$413:$BH$473,MATCH($C194,R PI!$A$413:$A$473,0),FALSE))/(SUM(D$2: D$59)+SUM(D$63: D$120)+SUM(D$124: D$181)-HLOOKUP(D$185,'PWR Comp'!$A$184:$BH$243,MATCH($C194,'PWR Comp'!$A$184:$A$243,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(D$185,RPI!$A$413:$BH$473,MATCH($C194,RPI!$ A$413:$A$473,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(D$185,RPI!$A$348:$BH$408,MATCH($C194,RPI!$ A$348:$A$408,0),FALSE)),""),0),0),"")

Common opponents tab was 15,000 rows long
          Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-15-2015, 03:51 PM.
          Code:
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Also note that RPI is more complex than just winning percentages. When calculating it, each opponent has to be removed when you figure out overall winning percentages. Unless they've changed that. So when you're trying to figure out Team A's opponents' winning percentage, you have to remove all games that Teams B-Z played against Team A.

For example:
            =IF(B180="","",IFERROR((HLOOKUP(B124,$A$283:$BH$343,MATCH("SUM",$A$283:$A$343,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B124,$A$283:$BH$343,MATCH(B$479,$A$283:$A$ 343,0),FALSE)+0.5*(HLOOKUP(B124,$A$413:$BH$473,MAT CH("SUM",$A$413:$A$473,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B124,$A$413:$BH$473,MATCH(B$479,$A$413:$A$ 473,0),FALSE)))/(HLOOKUP(B124,$A$283:$BH$343,MATCH("SUM",$A$283:$A$343,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B124,$A$283:$BH$343,MATCH(B$479,$A$283:$A$ 343,0),FALSE)+HLOOKUP(B124,$A$348:$BH$408,MATCH("SUM",$A$348:$A$408,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B124,$A$348:$BH$408,MATCH(B$479,$A$348:$A$ 408,0),FALSE)+HLOOKUP(B124,$A$413:$BH$473,MATCH("SUM",$A$413:$A$473,0),FALSE)-HLOOKUP(B124,$A$413:$BH$473,MATCH(B$479,$A$413:$A$ 473,0),FALSE)),""))
            Code:

Comment

Want a copy?

I also have a KRACH calculator that was similarly difficult to put together. It's even more of a resource hog since it's an iterative calculation.
              Last edited by dxmnkd316; 05-15-2015, 04:02 PM.
              Code:

Comment

God, excel sucks...
                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

I was just stealing RPI from another guy for football. But, I don't know if I have the commitment in me to expand further than the Big Ten if it's going to be that huge. Hockey has more games but football has more than double the teams. At least this way if I can't get a formula I can still manually count common opponent, despite that being a chore.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Yeah, with 59 teams you'd have nearly double the rows in that TUC spreadsheet. But since TUC isn't a category with the new system, I need to rebuild the entire spreadsheet.

This is really something that is better suited for a database. Excel has made huge strides in the relational database field, but this pushes Excel to its limits.
                    Code:

Comment

Oh, and since there is somewhat significant crossover, do you want to include D1-AA teams?
                      Code:

Comment

At least at D-III the calculation of OWP and OOWP is the average of your opponents' win pcts, not the summation of their records.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That was another issue I was running into. Does hockey count games against D2 and D3 schools as regular season? I know the basketball committee looks at games against D1 only for the tournament. Preferably I would like to have it FBS only, because while I love the App State and NDSU stories, I hate when FBS plays FCS.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            Yeah, with 59 teams you'd have nearly double the rows in that TUC spreadsheet. But since TUC isn't a category with the new system, I need to rebuild the entire spreadsheet.

This is really something that is better suited for a database. Excel has made huge strides in the relational database field, but this pushes Excel to its limits.
                            Yeah, I'm thinking that if this was done using SQL Server or the like it would be an order of magnitude faster and require an order of magnitude less code.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              At least at D-III the calculation of OWP and OOWP is the average of your opponents' win pcts, not the summation of their records.
                              Which I still contend is a stupid way of doing it.
                              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                                That was another issue I was running into. Does hockey count games against D2 and D3 schools as regular season? I know the basketball committee looks at games against D1 only for the tournament. Preferably I would like to have it FBS only, because while I love the App State and NDSU stories, I hate when FBS plays FCS.
                                No. Only D1 to D1.

I'm currently adapting my sheet to see if it can even handle the 128 teams for D1-A.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X