Charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging

"Charging . . . shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner." - NHL Rulebook

"Charging is the action of a player, who as a result of distance traveled, checks an opponent violently in any manner from the front or side." NCAA Rulebook section 6.a

The "more than two steps" and "jump" are (NCAA only) guidelines, not the definition of charging. A player who has been coasting for some distance but is still traveling at a considerable speed and violently collides with an opposing player should be penalized for charging. Every hockey player, no matter how skilled, will sooner or later look down to relocate a puck around his feet. The intent of the charging penalty is to protect such players. Unfortunately, mistakes are made in both judgment and action - by all of us.

Re: Charging

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
    Unfortunately, mistakes are made in both judgment and action - by all of us.
    Speak for yourself. I don't make mistakes.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

For the sake of comedy, does this have an origin or are you just posting the NCAA & NHL rulebooks and then giving your interpretation of them as a public service? I mean, there is a point to all of this, right?
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I mean, there is a point to all of this, right?
        I would assume it's related to the fans saying Brad Malone's hit on Jesse Martin was clean. It wasn't.
        Me: ...but why would anyone want to vacation here? There are better mountains in NH and VT, beaches in Cape Cod and RI, and colonial landmarks in Mass and CT.

Boss: You've got it all wrong. It's Vacationland because nobody would ever want to live here for more than a week.

Go MAINE! My sometimes home

Comment

You know what happens when you assume. You make an *** out of you and a guy named Osorojo.
          Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
          when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
          Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
            You know what happens when you assume. You make an *** out of you and a guy named Osorojo.
            What's wrong with the second half of that?

But seriously, I wonder if Bear Red knows how to contribute to an already existing thread rather than create a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
              What's wrong with the second half of that?

But seriously, I wonder if Bear Red knows how to contribute to an already existing thread rather than create a new one.
              Malone's hit was a charge and osorojo is:

Osorojo:

1. A person or animal that suffers from severe mental retardation. 2. Someone who should be culled from society so that their genetics are prevented from being passed on to future generations, for the good of humanity.
              i.e. John is a complete osorojo, after listening to what he just said it is obvious that he is too stupid to allow to procreate.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=osorojo
              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

There's been a lot of feeble speculation about what constitutes "charging," including the false contention that the offending player must be seen to take more than two steps. I would gladly have posted the NHL/NCAA rules for "charging" if I had found a thread dealing with the specific contents of hockey rulebooks rather than personal beliefs or personal animosities. Please provide me with the title of such a thread - I mean rulebook contents, not personal denigration.

Comment

Originally posted by Osorojo View Post
                  There's been a lot of feeble speculation about what constitutes "charging," including the false contention that the offending player must be seen to take more than two steps. I would gladly have posted the NHL/NCAA rules for "charging" if I had found a thread dealing with the specific contents of hockey rulebooks rather than personal beliefs or personal animosities. Please provide me with the title of such a thread - I mean rulebook contents, not personal denigration.
                  Where has there been feeble speculation? Somewhere on this forum on a different thread? If so, I would think that particular thread, where the conversation regarding charging is taking place, is the best place to put said information. Yes, there are thread topics and some people like to see them as dogma, but we do tend to go on a tangent for a couple of posts to explain something that was brought up while discussing the topic.

Comment

On my team, the guy is hard-nosed and puts his body on the line for the team. On your team, he is an out of control goon out to hurt people.
                    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                    2010 Frozen Four participant
                    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I'm confused by this rule. How can a violent hit be the result of distance traveled? The distance traveled has absolutely zero direct effect on the violence of a collision -- only relative velocity and relative mass matter. To the extent distance has an indirect effect, it would allow more acceleration time (increasing velocity) or increase friction (decreasing velocity), but I don't see either one being able to be described as the direct cause of the hit.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                        On my team, the guy is hard-nosed and puts his body on the line for the team. On your team, he is an out of control goon out to hurt people.
                        This.

komey1 takes the lead.
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Um excuse me, ahem excuse me! Common sense is not allowed in osorojo's threads.
                          "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
                          Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Like Aaron Marvin?
                            St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

Originally posted by Dude Love View Post
                              Like Aaron Marvin?
                              Ugh, that's gonna start the whole thing over again! I don't want to read 5 pages of Erin Marvin bashing, please take it down, puhhhhleeeeeeease!

Comment

Working...
                              X