Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

  1. #1
    Time For 9 du78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    N. Merrick, NY
    Posts
    26,445

    Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Tough labor negiotiator and former head of the MLBPA Donald Fehr is reportedly to become the new head of the NHLPA. The current CBA expires after the 2011/12 season. There is an option to extend it one year by the players. With the potential hiring of Fehr there could be some major battles over a new CBA.

    NY Daily News Story

    The current CBA changed college hockey by setting salary caps for rookies, team salaray minimums and caps, and reduced the time a player needed to play to reach free agency. Teams are able to sign young players, even the budding superstars, to relatively low salaries for the initial parts of their careers. With the free agency age having been lowered, teams are signing young players to get them in their system and get as many years out of them as possible at the low initial salaries. If a player doesn't pan out, there is no big dollar loss to the team as there was under the previous CBA that had no salary caps. Donald Fehr kept the salary cap out of baseball and it would not surprise me that his potential hiring by the NHLPA would have the goal of drastically changing the current CBA. It will be interesting to see how all of this shakes out and what effect it will have on college hockey in the future.

    Here is a quote from the NY Daily News article by former player Jason Woolley and now agent about the current CBA.

    As Jason Woolley, then a defenseman for the Detroit Red Wings and now an agent, told the Daily News on Thursday, "We got our asses handed to us."
    Last edited by du78; 08-27-2010 at 11:09 AM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


    Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

  2. #2
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    I see no reason for a new cba to help out college hockey. the teams really like signing all these young players for cheap, and the union members really don't care about guys that are not even union members yet. The battle will be over the salary cap, and the union will let the teams have this area they way they want it, it isn't worth fighting for.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  3. #3
    I've been everywhere.
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Central Gopher Land
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    I see no reason for a new cba to help out college hockey. the teams really like signing all these young players for cheap, and the union members really don't care about guys that are not even union members yet. The battle will be over the salary cap, and the union will let the teams have this area they way they want it, it isn't worth fighting for.
    I'm not saying you are wrong, because I'm really not sure, but the flip side of the argument is that these young cheap guys are taking the place of the older union member players, players that would like to be protected a little more. Now that the owners have it, I don't believe the salary cap is going anywhere, unless the players are willing to stick together and take the NHL through another long(er) hiatus, which is something that haven't showed they are able or willing (work cohesively) to do as of late.

    I will say that for the product on the ice, it's probably better that we get some of those young guys, but when you are an executive and can have a young guy for 1 million or less and old guy for 3 million, even if the old guy is willing to take the 1 million, that executive is likely taking the young guy in a heartbeat. Don't think the veterans haven't noticed and are willing to fight for that a little bit. There are a number of older guys on the outs this year, that I'm sure would like to see that changed.
    Dance like no one's watching, sing like no one's listening, live each day as if it's your last...

    Dirty - I'd be more suited to be the hockey coach at NDSU.

  4. #4
    SIEVE chant & BUD SONG originators
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    "The City of the Perpetually Offended"
    Posts
    3,188

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Hello work stoppage in 2012.......
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

    "License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

  5. #5
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,282

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong, because I'm really not sure, but the flip side of the argument is that these young cheap guys are taking the place of the older union member players, players that would like to be protected a little more.
    Bingo. For every underclassman that has left college early this offseason, there's one or two veteran players who are still without a job. Guess which one costs less?
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  6. #6
    Registered User Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    7,409

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Larch View Post
    I'm not saying you are wrong, because I'm really not sure, but the flip side of the argument is that these young cheap guys are taking the place of the older union member players, players that would like to be protected a little more. Now that the owners have it, I don't believe the salary cap is going anywhere, unless the players are willing to stick together and take the NHL through another long(er) hiatus, which is something that haven't showed they are able or willing (work cohesively) to do as of late.

    I will say that for the product on the ice, it's probably better that we get some of those young guys, but when you are an executive and can have a young guy for 1 million or less and old guy for 3 million, even if the old guy is willing to take the 1 million, that executive is likely taking the young guy in a heartbeat. Don't think the veterans haven't noticed and are willing to fight for that a little bit. There are a number of older guys on the outs this year, that I'm sure would like to see that changed.
    You have a very valid point. I was thinking of the very good players, who can sign a long term contract, but a journeyman player, getting a little long in the tooth, must hate being replaced that cheaply. There might be hope after all.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX


    The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by MN Pond Hockey View Post
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

    this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

  7. #7
    Time For 9 du78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    N. Merrick, NY
    Posts
    26,445

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    You have a very valid point. I was thinking of the very good players, who can sign a long term contract, but a journeyman player, getting a little long in the tooth, must hate being replaced that cheaply. There might be hope after all.
    I think we are now seeing a lot more veteran NHL and career AHL players heading for Europe as they get older as the young uns are taking their jobs. I don't think the NHLPA is trying to hire Fehr to keep things staus quo although they may extend the current CBA for a year to get all their ducks in a row for a battle.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


    Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    19,769

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Did Fehr oversee the MLB strike?
    GO DU !!!

  9. #9
    Time For 9 du78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    N. Merrick, NY
    Posts
    26,445

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    Quote Originally Posted by vizoroo View Post
    Did Fehr oversee the MLB strike?
    Yes he did.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

    MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD


    Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

  10. #10
    Registered User HarleyMC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,897

    Re: Donald Fehr Replacing Paul Kelly as Head of NHLPA to Negotiate New CBA

    IMO it's very likely Fehr will take the job when the offer is presented next month. Fehr has apparently been acting as an unpaid advisor to the PA for the past year, and is very familiar with the union issues that need to be addressed. Squaring off with Bettman for long term veteran contracts, benefits and salary caps within the context of renegotiating the CBA is a welcome battle from a college hockey fan perspective. I'd like to see Wayne Gretsky as the face of the PA with Fehr dictating the script. That's a nightmare scenario for Bettman and NHL owners.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •