Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 1001

Thread: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    1,105

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Other than Heisenbergs` list Do we have any real evidence that JL is committed to RPI and vice versa? I seriously doubt he is coming.

  2. #102
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    9,006

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jstadts View Post
    ... I seriously doubt he is coming.
    Welcome to the club! Meetings are anonymous and held every Tuesday night... His absence is mysterious. What we do know is that for reasons which remain unknown to us he: has decided to play yet another season in Cornwall, has decided not to jump up to the BCHL or USHL and he hasn't publicly stated "I'm not going there". All of which leaves open the door for whichever speculation you wish to entertain...
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  3. #103
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    201,910

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jstadts View Post
    Other than Heisenbergs` list Do we have any real evidence that JL is committed to RPI and vice versa? I seriously doubt he is coming.
    No recent evidence. The last statement in the Standard Freeholder was the brillaint "he is going to RPI in 2011 or he isn't". (That wasn't an exact quote.)

  4. #104
    I Still bleed RPI Red
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Adirondacks/NJ Shore
    Posts
    42,859

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
    Welcome to the club! Meetings are anonymous and held every Tuesday night... His absence is mysterious. What we do know is that for reasons which remain unknown to us he: has decided to play yet another season in Cornwall, has decided not to jump up to the BCHL or USHL and he hasn't publicly stated "I'm not going there". All of which leaves open the door for whichever speculation you wish to entertain...
    There are a plethora of places that he hasn't state publicly that he is not going. His delay in coming to RPI speaks volumes about how much he values an education in Troy.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

  5. #105
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    201,910

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DrDemento View Post
    There are a plethora of places that he hasn't state publicly that he is not going. His delay in coming to RPI speaks volumes about how much he values an education in Troy.
    Do we really know who was responsible for his two delays in arriving in Troy? At one point we heard that it was lack of maturity. There have been things that we have seen in print that probably are large stretches of the truth (like Pirri's extended wedding must have been).

    I do agree that if he truly valued the education we would have seen him at least this year in Troy.

  6. #106
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    9,006

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I do agree that if he truly valued the education we would have seen him at least this year in Troy.
    Agree and would add that if he was interested in elevating his game to the next level in preparation for D1, he'd have spent this year (and last) in the U or the B.
    Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 08-31-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In My Own Little Cherry & White World
    Posts
    687

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Do we really know who was responsible for his two delays in arriving in Troy? At one point we heard that it was lack of maturity. There have been things that we have seen in print that probably are large stretches of the truth (like Pirri's extended wedding must have been).

    I do agree that if he truly valued the education we would have seen him at least this year in Troy.
    This whole affair makes no sense at all.I have no idea what could be on his mind,his parents mind,or for that fact the dreaded so called family advisor's mind.As far as I'm concerned it has become a non issue...if he shows up great...if he doesn't show up thats OK to.He's a quality player but not a make or break player(IMO)Its not even worth putting his stats up on this thread...they are meaningless not only because he may never show up,but the league choose to play in this year is like RB getting in a Math contest w/5th.graders.I Love or team w/the guys we have and I'm excited about the incoming class there are some real studs there and I'm ready to go to battle w/what we got...Tally Ho !
    What was the Guy who discovered milk doing to the cow ????????...Or for that matter how bout the fist Guy to drink it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  8. #108
    RPI '11 Go Red!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,177

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    Its not even worth putting his stats up on this thread...they are meaningless not only because he may never show up,
    The fact of the matter is that he is still a committed recruit until any official word is given one way or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    but the league choose to play in this year is like RB getting in a Math contest w/5th.graders.
    True, but irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    I Love or team w/the guys we have and I'm excited about the incoming class there are some real studs there and I'm ready to go to battle w/what we got...Tally Ho !
    Absolute truth. I can't wait until I can buy my season tickets in two weeks.
    Go Red!!

    National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

    Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

  9. #109
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    201,910

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    This whole affair makes no sense at all.I have no idea what could be on his mind,his parents mind,or for that fact the dreaded so called family advisor's mind.As far as I'm concerned it has become a non issue...if he shows up great...if he doesn't show up thats OK to.He's a quality player but not a make or break player(IMO)Its not even worth putting his stats up on this thread...they are meaningless not only because he may never show up,but the league choose to play in this year is like RB getting in a Math contest w/5th.graders.
    Some of those fifth graders are smart, although not the ones who work at McDonald's and get confused when I give them 36 cents in addition to a ten dollar bill when the cost is $6.36. "This (pointing to the ten) is enough money. Why are you giving me the change?"

  10. #110
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    201,910

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by burgie12 View Post
    The fact of the matter is that he is still a committed recruit until any official word is given one way or the other.
    or CH removes him from his list.

  11. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    but the league choose to play in this year is like RB getting in a Math contest w/5th.graders.
    Someone doesn't watch FOX game shows, I see. Granted I don't think Ralph has been on it...

  12. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Some of those fifth graders are smart, although not the ones who work at McDonald's and get confused when I give them 36 cents in addition to a ten dollar bill when the cost is $6.36. "This (pointing to the ten) is enough money. Why are you giving me the change?"
    What I absolutely love is the ones that then have to change the total inserted just because I give them the change late. However what you described did happen to me once, though I gave them a nickel because I wanted 2 quarters back. They didn't quite grasp this.

  13. #113
    Not a player, I just crush a lot
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    In a canoe paddlin', makin' fun of your yacht
    Posts
    25,282

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    I've got something to say here. I'm going to say it, not directing it at anyone, and then I'm going to try and get out of the way and let it be discussed if anyone wants to discuss it.

    Somewhere, there's a line when it comes to enthusiasm. The question has to be asked sometimes - if I was a young man, what level would I be comfortable having people talk about elements of my life?

    In this day and age, recruits are going to seek out every little bit of information wherever they can find it about the recruiting process, including and especially the internet, and if you think they're not reading this forum, you're wrong.

    As we've come to expect, the Internet has a way of distorting things a discussion among very few people can make it seem like a topic that everyone is discussing. Discussing a minor topic repeatedly begins to look like a bizarre obsession.

    People shouldn't be led to believe that a fan base doesn't care. If I were a young player, I wouldn't have much interest in a school whose fans didn't care about the players at all. Following the recruits and their progress seems fairly natural and absolutely acceptable (and, if I may say, we're fortunate to have Ralph keeping close tabs on the stats for us). But there's a line somewhere that, when crossed, is going to lead to the exact same reaction - these fans care TOO much, and about things that are personal to a lot of people.

    Speculation is going to happen. I get that. But endless speculation about very minor and possibly very personal things is not only detrimental to the conversation, it's potentially detrimental to the program if a recruit or a potential recruit sees it and becomes concerned.

    All I'm saying is this... think before you speculate. What do we REALLY need to know? What do we really need to spend time guessing at that hasn't been confirmed? If a player's academic situation isn't something that's already been confirmed as being an issue - for instance, a player is known to have been rejected by admissions, or has to sit out a semester because of poor grades - is that something that we really should be nosing around with?

    At the end of the day, a recruit will either choose to come to RPI or he will not. We have various ways of learning about the latter if it occurs. Specifically with JL, I have heard various conflicting rumors about his academics. I've heard he's a very bright student. What if he is? Do you think faceless names on the Internet asking about his SAT score repeatedly as though it's some problem is going to be something that will make him excited about RPI?

    It's not just this, it's anything that could be construed as being a part of a recruit or a player's personal life, things that you wouldn't want others murmuring about behind your back.

    So all I'm asking is this - think about what you're speculating on before you speculate. Ask yourself whether it's really important or not. Jacob Laliberte will either come to RPI next year, or he won't, and if he doesn't, whatever reason he doesn't is on him and him alone, unless we learn that Seth turned his back or something, which is another thing we don't know.

    That's it.
    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

  14. #114
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    245

    Thumbs up Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    I've got something to say here. I'm going to say it, not directing it at anyone, and then I'm going to try and get out of the way and let it be discussed if anyone wants to discuss it.

    Somewhere, there's a line when it comes to enthusiasm. The question has to be asked sometimes - if I was a young man, what level would I be comfortable having people talk about elements of my life?

    In this day and age, recruits are going to seek out every little bit of information wherever they can find it about the recruiting process, including and especially the internet, and if you think they're not reading this forum, you're wrong.

    As we've come to expect, the Internet has a way of distorting things a discussion among very few people can make it seem like a topic that everyone is discussing. Discussing a minor topic repeatedly begins to look like a bizarre obsession.

    People shouldn't be led to believe that a fan base doesn't care. If I were a young player, I wouldn't have much interest in a school whose fans didn't care about the players at all. Following the recruits and their progress seems fairly natural and absolutely acceptable (and, if I may say, we're fortunate to have Ralph keeping close tabs on the stats for us). But there's a line somewhere that, when crossed, is going to lead to the exact same reaction - these fans care TOO much, and about things that are personal to a lot of people.

    Speculation is going to happen. I get that. But endless speculation about very minor and possibly very personal things is not only detrimental to the conversation, it's potentially detrimental to the program if a recruit or a potential recruit sees it and becomes concerned.

    All I'm saying is this... think before you speculate. What do we REALLY need to know? What do we really need to spend time guessing at that hasn't been confirmed? If a player's academic situation isn't something that's already been confirmed as being an issue - for instance, a player is known to have been rejected by admissions, or has to sit out a semester because of poor grades - is that something that we really should be nosing around with?

    At the end of the day, a recruit will either choose to come to RPI or he will not. We have various ways of learning about the latter if it occurs. Specifically with JL, I have heard various conflicting rumors about his academics. I've heard he's a very bright student. What if he is? Do you think faceless names on the Internet asking about his SAT score repeatedly as though it's some problem is going to be something that will make him excited about RPI?

    It's not just this, it's anything that could be construed as being a part of a recruit or a player's personal life, things that you wouldn't want others murmuring about behind your back.

    So all I'm asking is this - think about what you're speculating on before you speculate. Ask yourself whether it's really important or not. Jacob Laliberte will either come to RPI next year, or he won't, and if he doesn't, whatever reason he doesn't is on him and him alone, unless we learn that Seth turned his back or something, which is another thing we don't know.

    That's it.
    I agee 100% with this post-but I know RC you weren't looking for validation.

  15. #115
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    201,910

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    In this day and age, recruits are going to seek out every little bit of information wherever they can find it about the recruiting process, including and especially the internet, and if you think they're not reading this forum, you're wrong.
    I have always assumed that the recruits read this at least sometimes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    People shouldn't be led to believe that a fan base doesn't care. If I were a young player, I wouldn't have much interest in a school whose fans didn't care about the players at all. Following the recruits and their progress seems fairly natural and absolutely acceptable (and, if I may say, we're fortunate to have Ralph keeping close tabs on the stats for us). But there's a line somewhere that, when crossed, is going to lead to the exact same reaction - these fans care TOO much, and about things that are personal to a lot of people.
    I agree, and I admit that I have crossed the line on more than one occasion. It's really embarrassing when I realize that the players in question are less than 1/3 my age.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    Speculation is going to happen. I get that. But endless speculation about very minor and possibly very personal things is not only detrimental to the conversation, it's potentially detrimental to the program if a recruit or a potential recruit sees it and becomes concerned.
    I would hope that SA or one of his assistants would email me if there was a problem with something that I post. I have never gotten such an email. I do know that the staff is at least aware to an extent about what goes on here because of a very short conversation that I once had with Montgomery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud View Post
    All I'm saying is this... think before you speculate. What do we REALLY need to know? What do we really need to spend time guessing at that hasn't been confirmed? If a player's academic situation isn't something that's already been confirmed as being an issue - for instance, a player is known to have been rejected by admissions, or has to sit out a semester because of poor grades - is that something that we really should be nosing around with?

    At the end of the day, a recruit will either choose to come to RPI or he will not. We have various ways of learning about the latter if it occurs. Specifically with JL, I have heard various conflicting rumors about his academics. I've heard he's a very bright student. What if he is? Do you think faceless names on the Internet asking about his SAT score repeatedly as though it's some problem is going to be something that will make him excited about RPI?

    It's not just this, it's anything that could be construed as being a part of a recruit or a player's personal life, things that you wouldn't want others murmuring about behind your back.
    The personal stuff all started from was on line and available to all. As you said, some of the academic information has been contradictory. That has been stated repeatedly. Indeed one should think before one posts. Most of the time I do -- sometimes I don't.

  16. #116
    PUCKMAN RULES!!!
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    middletown, ny
    Posts
    14,203

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    RC, everything that you said is correct. I believe that all of us have crossed the line at one time or another. Especially in JL's case as it has been going on for so long.
    I don't think that anyone realizes the effect that it might have on the recruit when we are discussing his/her life (public or private).
    I hope that every recruit that glances at this board understands that we are on their side and hope that they will help bring glory to RPI.
    We want to see them in Cherry and White and we want them to succeed in their entire college experience.
    That includes Jacob Laliberte.
    Many of us would love to see him in Troy ASAP.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

  17. #117
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    9,006

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
    RC, everything that you said is correct. I believe that all of us have crossed the line at one time or another. Especially in JL's case as it has been going on for so long.
    I don't think that anyone realizes the effect that it might have on the recruit when we are discussing his/her life (public or private).
    I hope that every recruit that glances at this board understands that we are on their side and hope that they will help bring glory to RPI.
    We want to see them in Cherry and White and we want them to succeed in their entire college experience.
    That includes Jacob Laliberte.
    Many of us would love to see him in Troy ASAP.
    Excellent summation EHF...
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

  18. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    48,064

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    RC, you are definitely 100% correct about this. I know I'm also guilty for egging on a "soap opera" as it were; in all reality, "celebrities" shouldn't be this fawned over. If he shows up, great! If he doesn't, that's alright, there's still other fish in the pond.

    BTW, I just noticed there was no thread title. Wonder why...

  19. #119
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    201,910

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    BTW, I just noticed there was no thread title. Wonder why...
    It was suggested that we should not have a corny title for the recruit thread. I forgot who suggested it. I guess that it wasn't you.

  20. #120
    I miss Tie Domi
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Between the Pipes
    Posts
    9,006

    Re: RPI 2011 Recruit Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    ...The last statement in the Standard Freeholder was the brillaint "he is going to RPI in 2011 or he isn't". (That wasn't an exact quote.)
    Sadly for the S-F reporter, I think it is exact RB...
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •