Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Smile HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Good Luck to Louis Leblanc. I'm sure he deliberated long and hard and in the end did what he believes is best for him. Everyone at Harvard wishes him the best.

It's time to regroup and look ahead. For the first time in many years the hockey expectations in Cambridge are low to zilch. Another futile season would surprise no one. Donato in many ways is under siege. Mens hockey has been floundering in an era when Crimson sports in general have enjoyed unparalled success. Harvard athletics commands more attention and respect today than in almost a century.

So this is not the time to throw in the towel at Bright. I like to think we have seen the bottom and, though it may take some time to recover, we are on the threshold of a new beginning. We have a nucleus of good hockey players who, as underdogs and under no pressure, can do their thing and hopefully surprise some people. Let's keep the faith.

GO CRIMSON!

Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

Not to worry things will work out well! It opens a spot for another well deserving player to make things happen.

Smile Re: HARVARD CRIMSON 2010-2011 - A New Beginning

In looking over over our ten lacrosse recruits for the class of 2014 it's interesting to note that four of them played high school or prep school hockey and two of them captained their hockey teams.

While our varsity may be a bit short of recruits this fall our club team is gearing up for another winning season.

GO CRIMSON!

Not a lot to cheer about lately for Harvard - Leblanc's premature exit, some recruiting losses, etc

On a higher note, I had a son on Tuesday. Jack Ryan Rowbotham. Harvard hockey's youngest current fan!

Holding court

Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Not a lot to cheer about lately for Harvard - Leblanc's premature exit, some recruiting losses, etc

On a higher note, I had a son on Tuesday. Jack Ryan Rowbotham. Harvard hockey's youngest current fan!
    Hey congratulations bothman. Great choice on the names too. We were considering Jack. First child?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Beat'em, bust'em, that's our custom REDRocket's Avatar

Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by moe24 View Post
    Thread over... REDRocket wins!!!

Congrats, bothman. Time to start shopping for skates...

Congrats!

Good thinking, scheduling the birth for the offseason. Hope Jack doesn't interfere with more important things come late October...
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Noticed Harvard is playing NU this year...is that new? Always remember them playing BC and BU, but not NU. Is Harvard not playing BC this year?

Also, seems like a big year for Donato IMO.

[QUOTE

On a higher note, I had a son on Tuesday. Jack Ryan Rowbotham. Harvard hockey's youngest current fan![/QUOTE]

Congratulations and best wishes to you and the family. I think it would be appropriate if Jack were to make an early non-binding commitment to Harvard for the Class of '32. Have Ted Donato and Admissions send the necessary papers.

GO CRIMSON!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Noticed Harvard is playing NU this year...is that new? Always remember them playing BC and BU, but not NU. Is Harvard not playing BC this year?

Also, seems like a big year for Donato IMO.
    Harvard is limited to 29 regular season games. These include 22 ECAC games, two Beanpot Games and two Holiday tournament games (or equivilant intersectional games). That leaves only three discretionary games. For many years two of these were against BC and BU leaving only one other game.

It seems that now Donato wants to diversify the schedule by omitting BC and/or BU. The reasoning perhaps is that we will always play one or both of them anyway in the Beanpot. I think this explains why Northeastern and Merrimack are on this year's schedule. Next year it will probably be two other teams.

Regarding Donato I would agree that this is a critical year.

GO CRIMSON!
    Last edited by ALONZO; 08-05-2010 at 08:05 PM.

Congrats to you and your family, Bothman. Get the Bauers sharpened and the sticks taped!

Quote Originally Posted by ALONZO View Post
    In looking over over our ten lacrosse recruits for the class of 2014 it's interesting to note that four of them played high school or prep school hockey and two of them captained their hockey teams.

While our varsity may be a bit short of recruits this fall our club team is gearing up for another winning season.

GO CRIMSON!
    Maybe Teddy can convince some of laxmen to keep their skates close by and consider trying out for men's hockey. Lord knows we are going to need some depth and skill.

Regarding LeBlanc, I'm not surprised by his decision. Disappointed yes, but surprised, no. His loss doesn't doom the program by any stretch. It just opens the door for another deserving player to step in and commit to four years of Crimson hockey.

This has been a tough stretch for all of us. The last Frozen Four we participated in was 1994. It hurts just to write that. Something has to give or else we are going to be competing with Brown for the worst Ivy men's hockey program. Maybe we are already there.

Quote Originally Posted by ALONZO View Post
    It seems that now Donato wants to diversify the schedule by omitting BC and/or BU. The reasoning perhaps is that we will always play one or both of them anyway in the Beanpot. I think this explains why Northeastern and Merrimack are on this year's schedule. Next year it will probably be two other teams.
    I think playing some different NC teams would help the Harvard program.

there's a good buck in that racket.

well done! congratulations.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

First off, congratulations!

Second of all, agree with this being a huge year for donato and the program. Even with the loss of Leblanc, I still believe that skill is not the problem, rather, it is the ability of everyone to get it all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    Maybe Teddy can convince some of laxmen to keep their skates close by and consider trying out for men's hockey. Lord knows we are going to need some depth and skill.

Regarding LeBlanc, I'm not surprised by his decision. Disappointed yes, but surprised, no. His loss doesn't doom the program by any stretch. It just opens the door for another deserving player to step in and commit to four years of Crimson hockey.

This has been a tough stretch for all of us. The last Frozen Four we participated in was 1994. It hurts just to write that. Something has to give or else we are going to be competing with Brown for the worst Ivy men's hockey program. Maybe we are already there.
    At this point I'd have to say Brown is ahead of us. They took out RPI in the preliminary round and Yale in the ECAC quarterfinals last season and went on to Albany where they lost to Cornell. Quite a turnaround for a longtime moribund program. Based on 2009-10 results it looks like we'll be battling with Dartmouth and Princeton to avoid the Ivy cellar.

Still, each season is a new season and it's dangerous to make any predictions. I share Sam 12's view that despite the loss of Leblanc the raw talent is there at Bright. We simply have to put it together and in my book that's a function of the coaching.

GO CRIMSON!

Harvard Hockey Broadcaster '09-'12

First, congrats Bothman.

Second, here's a Montreal Gazette article with Coach Donato's take on Louis leaving school.

"I was taken by surprise," Crimson coach Ted Donato, a former NHL player and Harvard graduate, told me when I reached him by phone on Thursday.

"I had numerous conversations with Louis and I thought we had come to an agreement that it was in his best interests to come back to school for a year.

"I think he was obviously under a lot of pressure and I think that led to his decision to stay up in Montreal and play major junior."
    "I'm not one of those guys who likes to stand on a soapbox and get into what's better, major junior or NCAA," Donato added. "I think they're both good and each individual has to figure out what's best for him.

"There is a certain debate that's out there whether major junior is better because the kids play more games or college hockey is better because kids get an education, they grow up socially, (and with fewer games) they're able to work on getting their bodies ready for a professional career.

"If you look at the average age of players in college hockey, (Leblanc) would have been playing against kids from 19 to 25 years old, and now he's going to be playing against kids from 16 to 20 years old. I think Louis was aware of what I thought was in his best interests, but once he's come to that decision I support him and wish him the best."
    But Donato does have some concern about the pressure Leblanc will face in Montreal.

"I think if there were characteristics that would allow someone to be successful under such a spotlight, I think Louis has some of them," Donato said. "He's got great character, he's a great kid, he's got a tremendous work ethic. But the fact of the matter is, for different kids it takes different time frames.

"We've often talked about having the ability to not only to make the NHL, but to be an impact guy once he gets there and to stay there for a number of years.

"I think it was a case where he felt his development would move along quicker playing outside of the NCAA. I don't agree with him, but I respect his decision."
    Former Harvard Hockey broadcaster on 95.3 FM and WHRB.org.
    Go Crimson!

In reading the excepts that alslammerz provided, I was struck by the paragraph talking about players' ages in college hockey. If our kids are coming in as 18 and 19 year-olds and are going up against 21, 22 and 23 year-olds, how are we expected to compete? The experience level just isn't there.

Leblanc is going to a pressure cooker in Montreal. Make no mistake about it, he will be looked upon much the same way as Guy Lafleur was regarded in La Belle Province. The Flower simply wasn't going to don any other uniform other than Le Bleu, Blanc et Rouge. I hope LeBlanc knows what he is getting into. Say what you will about Donato as a college coach but Teddy has played at every level including the NHL and I'm sure he imparted some choice words to LeBlanc as to what he will be facing when he laces 'em up in September.

Veteran

the age does not seem to bother bc

Thread Information