Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preseason Poll: 2010-2011

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
    I don't really see why people are down on CC and expecting them to take a step back from last season. I think losing Testwuide will hurt, but other than that I don't see any other losses having an impact. They return 5 that played regularly on defense, and the current sophmore class played very well as freshman last season and should be improved. They also bring in a solid freshman class and I expect Jaden Schwartz will be in the hunt for WCHA ROY. I expect them to improve on last season and be in the top half.
    probably because they've underachieved for a while now and it is a matter of not wanting to get burned yet again expecting them to do better than they will.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      probably because they've underachieved for a while now and it is a matter of not wanting to get burned yet again expecting them to do better than they will.
      I think the argument could be made that they overachieved last season, so don't think that really holds up. They definitely exceeded preseason expectations during the first half of the season, and probably met them during the second half. The problem was the first half building up expectations for the second half.

Comment

I think the argument could be made that they overachieved last season, so don't think that really holds up. They definitely exceeded preseason expectations during the first half of the season, and probably met them during the second half. The problem was the first half building up expectations for the second half.
        i've asked this before... but what are people expectations going into a given year?

i always think and expect BU to contend for a national title. the facilities and history, along with what we put into the program makes a season like last year, or the one before our last national title a a huge letdown. if we ever get to the point where we sit around and say/type, "i really hope we win a beanpot and get home ice in HEA and make the ncaa's" and get satisfied with that - i'd quit following them. i can't even imagine what a fan group like "#26 union" goes through every year.
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I think losing Testwuide will hurt, but other than that I don't see any other losses having an impact.
          So losing Sweatt... no impact there?
          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

i've asked this before... but what are people expectations going into a given year?

i always think and expect BU to contend for a national title. the facilities and history, along with what we put into the program makes a season like last year, or the one before our last national title a a huge letdown. if we ever get to the point where we sit around and say/type, "i really hope we win a beanpot and get home ice in HEA and make the ncaa's" and get satisfied with that - i'd quit following them. i can't even imagine what a fan group like "#26 union" goes through every year.
            I feel the same way about Bentley. But, this could be our year.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
              Ain't that cute. St. Cloud has found a program THEY can make fun of. Goes to show that a bad as someone's team is, there's always someone worse.
              Don't forget...we've also been making fun of NMU for about 4 months.

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
              Pay the man, Shirley
              Except I might poop my pants in shock if Minnesota finishes 6th or higher.
              St. Cloud, Minnesota: You could do worse...

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by turkeys.

The 2009 Poser of the Year

Comment

So losing Sweatt... no impact there?
                I think losing Sweatt and bringing in Schwartz is a net positive. Sweatt was a great skater, but he was not a scorer. He generated himself a lot of opportunities, but wasn't able to finish nearly enough of them. So I feel like his production is replaceable, where what Testwuide brought to the team will be harder to replace.

Comment

I think losing Sweatt and bringing in Schwartz is a net positive.
                  Long-term, MAYBE, Schwartz ends up better than Sweatt. But Sweatt led CC in scoring last year, and had over 100 points in his CC career. And scoring 46 goals in a WCHA career is not someone who can't score; yeah, he might not have found the net as often as some CC greats, but we're expecting too much if we're saying losing someone like Bill Sweatt doesn't hurt a program. And while Jaden may be highly touted, he's proven nothing at this level, and greater recruits than him have ended up doing nothing. I'm not saying he will fall flat, or even likely will, I'm saying you can't count any freshman as a "guarantee" when they jump levels.

I will say that I don't think he has 33 points as a freshman (Sweatt's last year), and he won't hit 109 career points at CC.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

I will say that I don't think he has 33 points as a freshman (Sweatt's last year), and he won't hit 109 career points at CC.
                    You might be right. He might only be at CC for two years. That all depends on how he develops and what the Blues want for him. My take on CC this year is that they will be about the same as last year. While last years senior class didn't have a lot of top end talent, they had that experience of being through the wars etc. This years team will have a lot of underclassmen and that is tough to deal with. Especially in the WCHA. I think they will play and compete hard but they will probably finish somewhere around 5-8 in the league. I think CC has a good chance to be a factor in 2011-2012.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                      SJ Hovey is right - DU's defense will likely be the best element of this year's team. They have a pretty experienced group back there with Lee, Donovan, Nutini, Ryder, Phillips and Wrenn returning, with one of the USHL's top D-men in Makowski coming in to compete for playing time. Donovan will be the breakout star of the group and should replace Weircioch's offensive role. Lee is one of the better shutdown guys in the WCHA returning. Ryder is a strong hitter, Nutini is consistent, and Wrenn and Philips both show big promise with strong skill packages. I am not worried about Denver's D.

Offensive scoring depth was THE issue last year, even with some very good offensive players (Rhakshani, Ruegsegger, Colbonrne, etc.). This year, the offense will likely be worse than last year as they try ot fill huge holes, especially in the first half of the season, with DU facing a murderous schedule. Bennett and Zucker as incoming freshmen are going to be asked to contribute right away, and will need to do so for Denver just to be a 3.0 GPG offense. Maiani, K. Osrow, D. Shore and Martin will need to be much better this year.

Galdalf is right that Denver is unproven in the nets. We have no idea how Murray and Brittain will perform at this level, other than to reference that for the last 10 years or so, DU's goaltending is usually upper echelon.

All in all, I see this team as a third place WCHA team at the top of their game and a WCHA seventh place team if they can't score above 2.75 GPG, or anywhere in between 3 and 7. They likely will be an NCAA bubble team.
                      My thoughts exactly on DU's Defense, I expect the top 7 will be strong. The only concern is if they have many injuries. Cook and Brehm are the only other D-men on the roster.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

General expectations I have for RIT....
                        Play Hard. All goals will be met by doing this one thing.
                        2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                        2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                        2010 Frozen Four participant
                        2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

I don't really see why people are down on CC and expecting them to take a step back from last season. I think losing Testwuide will hurt, but other than that I don't see any other losses having an impact. They return 5 that played regularly on defense, and the current sophmore class played very well as freshman last season and should be improved. They also bring in a solid freshman class and I expect Jaden Schwartz will be in the hunt for WCHA ROY. I expect them to improve on last season and be in the top half.
                          They certainly need to be a top defensive team. I think goaltending wise Joe Howe has to play extremely well this year. He stepped in last year nicely and showed he could really play at times. I'd certainly take him over guys like Gudmundson and Eidsness any day.
                          Let the Rebuilding Begin

Comment

1. Boston College
                            2. North Dakota
                            3. St. Cloud
                            4. Miami
                            5. Maine
                            6. Michigan
                            7. New Hampshire
                            8. Denver
                            9. Yale
                            10. Duluth
                            I would agree with this top 10. Order is meaningless but if it does come out something like this. We will see Miami vs SCSU and Miami vs New Hampshier in the first two weeks of the season... heckuva way to get your season underway....

I think that everyone is selling DU, and I'll go on record as buying. They've got a really talented incoming class, they've got a lot of forwards that weren't Rueggs, Rahk or Big Joe but that could step up in their absence, and I think a couple on the blueline could really shine. That, and I believe Murray will be one of the surprises of the season.
                            Im with you on Denver. They will be there In the pre-season based on name recognition and reputation. Whether that is the right thing to do or not is to be debated. But just like Michigan does Denver reloads not rebuilds. You can bet that the freshmen coming in will be extremely talented. Probably a given they will struggling out of the gate being so young but come the second half will probably make a run. Until it happens I wouldn't count them out before the year starts based on past history.
                            Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

Originally posted by redhawkman10 View Post
                              I would agree with this top 10. Order is meaningless but if it does come out something like this. We will see Miami vs SCSU and Miami vs New Hampshier in the first two weeks of the season... heckuva way to get your season underway....
                              I wouldn't be so high on UNH. Top 16 maybe, but not top 10. They lost two of their best scorers in Butler and LeBlanc plus their No. 1 and only relevant goalie. In addition, their freshman class isn't expected to be anything special (at least compared to what they usually bring in). BU, BC and UVM all look to have considerably better incoming classes in HE.
                              Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

if we ever get to the point where we sit around and say/type, "i really hope we win a beanpot and get home ice in HEA and make the ncaa's" and get satisfied with that - i'd quit following them. i can't even imagine what a fan group like "#26 union" goes through every year.
                                Ah, a fair-weather fan! Didn't know there many of you who posted on these boards.

Some of you people have no idea how good you have it.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X