Thread: College Hockey Travel Guide

College Hockey Travel Guide

IIRC, the CHTG was born from the USCHO forum several years ago. What happened (obviously it's still there, but does anyone use it? I know I've submitted updates in the past - in fact, i just submitted a complete overhaul for BSU's move to the BREC) to it? Did it get much traffic? Anyone use it much?

Re: College Hockey Travel Guide

Quote Originally Posted by moose97 View Post
    IIRC, the CHTG was born from the USCHO forum several years ago. What happened (obviously it's still there, but does anyone use it? I know I've submitted updates in the past - in fact, i just submitted a complete overhaul for BSU's move to the BREC) to it? Did it get much traffic? Anyone use it much?
    Didn;t know it existed.
    GO DU !!!

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

I've used it a few times before, but I don't think it's being updated anymore.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Watch out for the bull!

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It's not up to date on Minnesota State.
    My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Cleanup on Aisle 12, please

Quote Originally Posted by MavsFan View Post
    It's not up to date AT ALL.

FYP.

(Sorry...)
    Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post
    To you I say 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06. Eat it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCSU Euro View Post
    You sir, are the greatest person from Wisconsin in recorded history.

Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    They claim to have made an update in January, but it's been five years and RIT still isn't on the list.

Powers &8^]

Here we go

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    They claim to have made an update in January, but it's been five years and RIT still isn't on the list.

Powers &8^]
    Has anyone submitted anything for RIT? They usually need that.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Since we have the thread here and some of the principles will show up (Eric, Zudnic, etc.)... maybe its time to jump the Wiki bandwagon?
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Let's go Tech!

Army isn't on the list either and they've been around a lot longer than RIT.

Patron Saint of Defunct Teams

Just went to put an update in, and it said my validation code was wrong, yet it doesn't give you a box for any validation code.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose Zudnic's Avatar

I own the CHTG for the most part. I approve all the submissions personally. Apologies in advance, this post is going to be cranky.

To address what people said:
    1. RIT isn't on the list because no one has come forward to write their page. There are a few venues that aren't covered like the aforementioned Army. This is nothing personal against RIT. There is no "submit a school" page since it is rare enough that someone goes up to D-I that it wasn't worth my time to write it.

2. The site is crowdsourced. I can only update what people tell me about. I don't know that Clarkson ticket prices increased or that the local bar in K'Zoo went out of business. Someone has to submit that kind of stuff. So if it's out of date, blame the local fanbase.

3. I want to Wikify it. There are two major problems with that: one, the site as it is today is completely handbuilt and moving the data is going to be a massive pain. Two, I haven't found a free Wiki software that has an approval workflow built in. (Eric and I both want to approve all changes before they go in). Not to mention that I barely see my kids as it is, and this is no longer a priority in my life.

4. The last question on the update submission page is a validation code (captcha). I just checked that it's working, so I don't know why it's not working for CornwallAce. You can submit it to me directly at www.zudnic.net/contact

To those who are whiny, please remember that this is something I do in my spare time, that I wrote in 2003, and that things have changed since then - I am now in grad school and have a family. I don't have time to be approving changes immediately as they come in. We've thought about killing it altogether, too.

Anyone who wants to volunteer to help, we can use it. Or, just submit some changes for your local school if the info is out of date.
    Last edited by Zudnic; 07-05-2010 at 12:14 AM.
    Boston College Eagle Hockey "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Shut up hockey puck

Thanks for putting it together Zud....I think we can all understand the situation you're in. I knew someone on here had put it together, but couldn't remember who. I have checked in the past for hotels, so if people want to update it for their school, that'd be great.

Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet

Quote Originally Posted by Zudnic View Post
    1. RIT isn't on the list because no one has come forward to write their page. There are a few venues that aren't covered like the aforementioned Army. This is nothing personal against RIT. There is no "submit a school" page since it is rare enough that someone goes up to D-I that it wasn't worth my time to write it.
    I'm guessing no one submitted information because it's not clear how to do that for a team that doesn't exist in the database. I think we all assumed that a blank page would be set up for new teams, if only to have something for users to edit.

Powers &8^]

Quote Originally Posted by Zudnic View Post
    I own the CHTG for the most part. I approve all the submissions personally. Apologies in advance, this post is going to be cranky.
    I didn't take it as cranky at all. Hopefully, by my putting this here, more people are aware of the CHTG's existance. I was always a fan of what its intended purpose was, so hopefully it can be brought up to what it was intended to be. Let me know if you need some help - I can try to be of assistance...

Here we go

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    I'm guessing no one submitted information because it's not clear how to do that for a team that doesn't exist in the database. I think we all assumed that a blank page would be set up for new teams, if only to have something for users to edit.

Powers &8^]
    Correct - I could not figure out how to submit RIT into the database.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

If you would like to start an RIT page, please feel free to e-mail me the info you would like posted via www.zudnic.net/contact (same link that's on the front page of the CHTG).
    Boston College Eagle Hockey "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

"I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

Ahh, the CHTG. I remember when I used to have to cut and paste the info submitted by email into the pages and upload them and whatnot to my old UNH school web account... that wasn't the most efficient way (I knew/know VERY basic web stuff) and I wasn't the most efficient about updating back then. I was psyched to get in touch with Eric and Bob and have them take it over! I'm glad there's still some interest in it

I received a few updates and will apply them when I find a spare hour.. probably sometime this summer

not particularly bad

Thanks!

I travel to a lot of games and have used the CHTG many times. So thanks for all the work you've put into it in the past, and to the fans who have supplied information.

I also find that politely entering a team thread and asking the fans for suggestions is helpful for my travels.
    Quote Originally Posted by West Texas Wolverine View Post
    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
    Arenas visited:
    7 B1G
    9 WCHA (all except Huntsville)
    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)

Thread Information