Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech Offseason II: We Won as Much Hardware as Ovechkin!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech Offseason II: We Won as Much Hardware as Ovechkin!!

the calumet radar station.
    Correct me if I'm wrong huskyfan, but when I was a AF ROTC cadet we visited it and it was active. It was part of the Pine Tree line, which was erected in the late 50's I think, as part of a radar warning network. this line was superseded by the DEW line a few years later and then they were all dismantled.

Fighters, usually F-101's or 102's, or possibly F-106's, often took off from KI Sawyer or Duluth, or Kinchloe, and run north for intercept exercises. The radar controllers might have been on site or might not have. I would bet they were, at least for a time.
    This was not one of the top assignments someone might hope to get you understand.
    I'd be extremely surprised if this was a priority target, but you have to understand the combatants had/have thousands of warheads. Thousands. so everywhere that was anything to do with the military was a target.I bet even dirty's house was a target.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
      So, you're saying it's not something that should be attempted in a Focus, but perhaps a GMC Sierra?
      If it's a 4x4 Sierra, sure. I'd also recommend a big can of bug spray and a bag lunch - it'll be a long day without either.

Good to hear about the assistant coach. I'll overlook the Spartan ties if he helps get us on the winning path again.

Comment

The word out of the paint store is that Ben Johnson has not committed to Tech yet as his family is going through a rather tough time.
        Last edited by Flashy Man; 06-05-2010, 07:20 PM.
        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by pbr View Post
          http://www.msuspartans.com/sports/m-...n_damon01.html

If this is indeed true, it's good to see someone who comes from a very successful program. Someone who is used to winning, tends to take losing much more personal than someone who comes from a unsuccessful background. Let's hope he can instill a winning attitude in the program.
          He was a volunteer coach at MSU for the last two years.

Have you watched MSU the last two years
          Just so we never forget.

Originally posted by MeanEgirl to hockeybando
          *****... *** do you think you're doing?! Getting on USCHO and making racial comments about The Darkness?! I'm not going to stand for this! He's my friend ... so the next time I see you, I'm whooping your ***!
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva

(insert joke about an NMU girl and insertion here)

Comment

Originally posted by The Darkness View Post
            He was a volunteer coach at MSU for the last two years.

Have you watched MSU the last two years
            Yeah, once.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
              the calumet radar station.
              Correct me if I'm wrong huskyfan, but when I was a AF ROTC cadet we visited it and it was active. It was part of the Pine Tree line, which was erected in the late 50's I think, as part of a radar warning network. this line was superseded by the DEW line a few years later and then they were all dismantled.

Fighters, usually F-101's or 102's, or possibly F-106's, often took off from KI Sawyer or Duluth, or Kinchloe, and run north for intercept exercises. The radar controllers might have been on site or might not have. I would bet they were, at least for a time.
              This was not one of the top assignments someone might hope to get you understand.
              I'd be extremely surprised if this was a priority target, but you have to understand the combatants had/have thousands of warheads. Thousands. so everywhere that was anything to do with the military was a target.I bet even dirty's house was a target.
              The base was active until September 1988.

Comment

HE is the best we can do?!

*****http://images.dmusic.com/v7/emoticons/puke.gif******

I still say BRING BACK BATTY!!
                Former President of Mitch's Misfits, 2005-2008

"The fans are what makes college hockey so great." - Casey Borer

Comment

Shyiak seemed to like him when he signed him at UAA.

Russell was looking for a good communicator and energy guy.

It sounds like they found that in a relatively young coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                    Shyiak seemed to like him when he signed him at UAA.

Russell was looking for a good communicator and energy guy.

It sounds like they found that in a relatively young coach.
                    I agree, I think they were looking for a young, inexpensive guy who will work his tail off (which is what Chris Tok was). Since Whitten was only an unpaid assistant at his alma mater, after holding salaried assistant jobs elsewhere, it seems he's willing to work primarily for experience. We needed someone who is committed to helping us win in the next few years, though not necessarily committed to sticking around for a decade-long haul (since second assistants rarely do).

Finally, he may be a Brighton/SE Michigan native, but I'm not expecting to get much of a boost in recruiting from downstate. The CCHA schools still have the inside track on a lot of those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by pbr View Post
                      It's also nice to see someone with ties to southeast Michigan / Ontario. That area is a hotbed for talent and MTU has either had little success in landing these guys to come here or have neglected it in favor of western Canada. Nothing against western Canada, but the Huskies haven't been winning much with the boys coming in from there.
                      By the way, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion when more than half of our players are now Americans. 12 of the returning 21 players, in fact, plus 5 of the 9 incoming freshmen. It doesn't matter where we're getting our players, the trouble is getting the talented ones and keeping them healthy.

Also, it's tough to get decent talent out of Ontario now, with the way they diddled around with their various bantam, midget, and junior leagues' rules and requirements about a decade ago, so that a majority of the good prospects are railroaded into the OHL.

Comment

No word out of the paint store today. But, I did see Jake Hauswirth driving a shiny new automobile on my way home.
                        Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                        What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Whitten has a lot more experience than you guys have given him credit for, and I think he is a great hire for the hockey program. I would bet that Tech offered him significantly more than what was listed in the job posting...job postings always show low-ball salaries.

He started his coaching career as a volunteer assistant coach at MSU. He then left MSU to take a full time paying job as a real assistant coach for Wayne State, where he worked for 2 years before WSU ended their men's hockey program. He then worked as an assistant coach for Alaska Anchorage for two years, and left when he got an offer to come back to the great state of Michigan for the position of "director of hockey operations" at MSU. My guess is that after two years of that position at MSU, he probably decided he wanted to do more coaching and a bit less PR stuff...hence the move to the Husky program.

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                            Whitten has a lot more experience than you guys have given him credit for, and I think he is a great hire for the hockey program. I would bet that Tech offered him significantly more than what was listed in the job posting...job postings always show low-ball salaries.

He started his coaching career as a volunteer assistant coach at MSU. He then left MSU to take a full time paying job as a real assistant coach for Wayne State, where he worked for 2 years before WSU ended their men's hockey program. He then worked as an assistant coach for Alaska Anchorage for two years, and left when he got an offer to come back to the great state of Michigan for the position of "director of hockey operations" at MSU. My guess is that after two years of that position at MSU, he probably decided he wanted to do more coaching and a bit less PR stuff...hence the move to the Husky program.
                            I agree, He seems fine to me and I look forward to seeing the results of his work.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post

The job posting had no $$$ figure
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

The official announcement from Tech website:

Whitten Named Assistant Hockey Coach

HOUGHTON, Mich. - Michigan Tech athletic director Suzanne Sanregret announced today (June 6) that Damon Whitten has been hired as an assistant hockey coach. Whitten replaces Chris Tok, who left to take a head coaching position with the Austin (Minn.) Bruins of the North American Hockey League.

“I am excited to join Jamie and Pat at Michigan Tech,” said Whitten. “I am familiar with Michigan Tech from both my playing and coaching days Michigan State. I look forward to using my hard work and determination to help the Huskies return to its strong hockey tradition.”

For the past two years, Whitten served as the director of hockey operations at Michigan State where he was in charge of the team’s travel, video and budget.

Prior to that, he served a two-year stint as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Alaska Anchorage. From 2004-06, Whitten was an assistant coach at Wayne State.

“I am very excited to be able to add Damon to our staff,” said head coach Jamie Russell. “Damon has great recruiting experience having worked in the WCHA where he was instrumental in landing players that signed NHL contracts early from our league in Paul Crowder and Jay Beagle. Damon also recruited Tommy Grant who scored 15 goals as a sophomore and Kevin Clark who ranked second in the WCHA last season with 18 goals.

“Damon has a proven track record and has the personality to win recruiting battles. He has learned from tremendous mentors in Ron Mason, Rick Comley, Bill Wilkinson and Dave Shyiak. I remember Damon as a player from my days in the CCHA, and he had the work ethic that propelled him from a walk-on to a team captain of the class with the highest winning percentage in Michigan State hockey history. Damon will join Patrick and I to elevate Michigan Tech hockey up the WCHA ladder. We couldn’t be more pleased with the quality of recruiter, coach and person we have added in Damon.”

Whitten was a four-year hockey letterwinner for the Spartans from 1997-2001. He recorded 35 goals and 40 assists for 75 points in 166 career games. The Brighton, Mich., native was a two-time nominee for the NCAA Hockey Humanitarian Award and was awarded the Blue Line President’s Award as the top senior scholar-athlete at Michigan State.

The holder of a bachelor’s degree in communication and master’s in sports administration from MSU, Whitten earned the Amo Bessone Award (athletic, scholastic and community service) and was a three-time Academic All-Big Ten Team selection.

Following his collegiate career, Whitten spent two seasons playing professionally in the East Coast Hockey League. He won a Kelly Cup title with the Greenville Grrrowl in 2001-02.

Whitten begins his appointment at Michigan Tech on June 15.

Comment

Working...
                                X