Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Best/Worst Ice

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    844

    Best/Worst Ice

    Whose home rink consistently has the best ice conditions? Who has the worst?

  2. #2
    Veteran huskyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Copper Falls
    Posts
    23,091

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    MacInnes at Michigan Tech in Houghton. good ice.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    72

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    i hear ford field has good ice hahahahahahhaha
    NATIONAL CHAMPIONS- 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010
    HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONSHIPS- 9
    BEANPOT TITLES- We'll let BU fans keep track

  4. #4
    Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    #300daysofsunshine
    Posts
    18,280

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by huskyfan View Post
    MacInnes at Michigan Tech in Houghton. good ice.
    It has its moments. I've seen crews out there trying to smooth out the ice near the boards several times. And we have that one goal that keeps popping completely out of the ice, support and all.

    I seem to remember a lot of emergency ice work at Sullivan. Might just be me.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

  5. #5
    On, Wisconsin!!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    668

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    The rodents definetly are one of the frontrunners for worst ice.
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

  6. #6
    Registered User joegrav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    4,490

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Agganis probably has the best in Hockey East and I'd say Merrimack has historically had the worst, although it was allegedly better this year.
    BC Interruption: SB Nation's Boston College Eagles Community
    -
    Boston College Class of 2010

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    47,988

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    I don't know if I can answer this as asked given the number of different rinks I have visited is limited, however the ice at Tate Rink (USMA West Point) is definitely quite soft.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Edina, MN, USA
    Posts
    19,862

    Question Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBucky36 View Post
    The rodents definetly are one of the frontrunners for worst ice.
    Unless you are talking about the one game that was played at Target, you're nuts. Mariucci is a little soft, especially late in the season, but far from the worst.

  9. #9
    The social ramble ain't restful
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Winchester, MA
    Posts
    1,872

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    I've hard that Colgate has fast ice.
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

  10. #10
    I like hockey.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,758

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by BCWH Superfan joe View Post
    Agganis probably has the best in Hockey East and I'd say Merrimack has historically had the worst, although it was allegedly better this year.
    This was my first thought as well. UNH also has very good ice. UMass is probably the second-worst.
    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

  11. #11
    Puck Swami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    14,433

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Typically, the best ice is found in cold buildings that don't host a lot of other kinds of non-ice events on the ice surface (e.g. conventions, basktball courts, etc.).

    Over the years, I've heard different players rave about the ice quality at Harvard, Colgate, North Dakota, Vermont, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech.

  12. #12
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,804

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Typically, the best ice is found in cold buildings that don't host a lot of other kinds of non-ice events on the ice surface (e.g. conventions, basktball courts, etc.).

    Over the years, I've heard different players rave about the ice quality at Harvard, Colgate, North Dakota, Vermont, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech.
    Watson Rink at Harvard had the hardest ice I've ever skated on. McHugh's wasn't far behind
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

    Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

  13. #13
    soldier of fortune
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    350 miles southwest of a dirty copper mine
    Posts
    15,746

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Typically, the best ice is found in cold buildings that don't host a lot of other kinds of non-ice events on the ice surface (e.g. conventions, basktball courts, etc.).

    Over the years, I've heard different players rave about the ice quality at Harvard, Colgate, North Dakota, Vermont, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech.
    Strange that Northern Michigan is up there then, since the Berry is also used for basketball. I wonder if Lakeview Arena (Northern's former rink) wasn't the subject of praise, rather than the Berry Events Center?
    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

    Originally posted by The Darkness:
    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.


    Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.


    Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

  14. #14
    On, Wisconsin!!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    668

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by goldy_331 View Post
    Unless you are talking about the one game that was played at Target, you're nuts. Mariucci is a little soft, especially late in the season, but far from the worst.
    Apparently they just make the ice bad when they play the Badgers then...
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,110

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBucky36 View Post
    Apparently they just make the ice bad when they play the Badgers then...
    That just doesn't make sense. I've never skated on the new Mariucci's ice, but intuitively it just doesn't make sense.
    Gopher Hockey is a priority for the athletic department, and considering all the rinks in the state you would have to think the people who operate it know what they are doing.
    I'm not going to try to claim it is one of the best sheets in the country, but it seems totally outlandish to try to claim it as one of the worst.

    Especially coming from a fan whose team plays at a dual-purpose facility primarily built for basketball.
    Last edited by Stauber1; 04-15-2010 at 06:07 PM.

  16. #16
    On, Wisconsin!!!!
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    668

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    That just doesn't make sense. I've never skated on the new Mariucci's ice, but intuitively it just doesn't make sense.
    Gopher Hockey is a priority for the athletic department, and considering all the rinks in the state you would have to think the people who operate it know what they are doing.
    I'm not going to try to claim it is one of the best sheets in the country, but it seems totally outlandish to try to claim it as one of the worst.

    Especially coming from a fan whose team plays at a dual-purpose facility primarily built for basketball.
    Come talk to me after youve skated there.
    The fact that the Kohl Center is a basketball and hockey arena has nothing to do with the quality of the ice. Nice try though...
    A Badger living in Buckeye country.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadCityRich View Post
    He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
    Quote Originally Posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
    Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
    "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Edina, MN, USA
    Posts
    19,862

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    That just doesn't make sense. I've never skated on the new Mariucci's ice, but intuitively it just doesn't make sense.
    I have. It is not great. The building was built by the low design-build bidder and the air side system and ice side systems were both cheaper than should have been. But it is far from awful. Except for a couple incidents about 4 years ago, you don't see them having to make ice repairs. It's a little soft and there is quite a bit of snow as a result, but I've skated on far worse and seen far worse in other WCHA rinks.
    Last edited by goldy_331; 04-15-2010 at 09:37 PM.

  18. #18
    He fixes the cable?
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    23,236

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by GoBucky36 View Post
    Come talk to me after youve skated there.
    The fact that the Kohl Center is a basketball and hockey arena has nothing to do with the quality of the ice. Nice try though...
    I have skated there. Far from the worst. Not great, but not bad.

    And yes, it does.
    the state of hockey is good

  19. #19
    Waiting for the Snow to fly...
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    South Chicago Burbs... For now anyways...
    Posts
    6,016

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    You have to remember, the Berry also hosts World Cup level speed skating events, so the equipment to maintain excellent ice is there... Despite hockey ice and racing ice being two different animals, the infrastructure has to be the same...

    The only thing about the B.E.C. that is dislike is the air temp... It tends to be warmer than most rinks I have been around...
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

    Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

    Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

    Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    844

    Re: Best/Worst Ice

    Quote Originally Posted by Stauber1 View Post
    That just doesn't make sense. I've never skated on the new Mariucci's ice, but intuitively it just doesn't make sense.
    Gopher Hockey is a priority for the athletic department, and considering all the rinks in the state you would have to think the people who operate it know what they are doing.
    I'm not going to try to claim it is one of the best sheets in the country, but it seems totally outlandish to try to claim it as one of the worst.

    Especially coming from a fan whose team plays at a dual-purpose facility primarily built for basketball.
    I could name a former Division I coach who arranged for the compressors to take a rest when an especially fast opponent came to play. Such gamesmanship isn't necessarily limited to one coach or one rink.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •