Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43

    I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    I'd love to have Enrico Blasi. Really a great hockey coach.

  2. #2
    The Original Dope Detector theprofromdover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,771

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by BCMike22 View Post
    I'd love to have Enrico Blasi. Really a great hockey coach.
    Except when he didn't call a timeout when BU made it 3-2 last year. There wasn't one person in the rink (except BU fans ) who didn't feel he HAD to take a tmeout them.
    Quote Originally Posted by mookie1995 View Post
    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

    Originally Posted by Dirty
    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    rite cheer
    Posts
    10,569

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Jerry's getting old, old, old....better start looking.
    __________________________________________________ ___________
    Its perfectly clear...the Hockey Gods despise Tim Whitehead
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    He's (Whitehead) basically on State of Maine Welfare now; collecting the dough while producing nothing. He needs to man-up,and walk away.
    The Fishman 2/16/11

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by acs64 View Post
    Jerry's getting old, old, old....better start looking.
    Haha...I think he's got probably another 7-10 left in him...I hope at least!

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    HEAVEN - WHERE ALL REFS ARE UNBIASED
    Posts
    643

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by theprofromdover View Post
    Except when he didn't call a timeout when BU made it 3-2 last year. There wasn't one person in the rink (except BU fans ) who didn't feel he HAD to take a tmeout them.
    He was too busy swearing (FU*****ING isert ref name here) at the refs!

  6. #6
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,889

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    There certainly are some good young coaches out there. Blasi and Sneddon impress me. Not a fan of Sneddon's system, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    632

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    If you didn't have Jerry York you probably wouldn't be starting almost as many posts to begin your career as VermontDAD!
    Let the Rebuilding Begin

  8. #8
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose Zudnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Doofenshmirtz' Island Hideout
    Posts
    12,770

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    I wonder how much of his success has been the new Goggin center. If you look at his first six years, he was mediocre, with one good season (23-14-4). In 2004 they broke ground on the Goggin, and since 2005-2006 they haven't been worse than ten games over .500.

    I don't know the reason for the sudden jump in performance. It could be the arena itself, it could be a larger University commitment to hockey of which the new arena was just the most visible symptom, or it could be Rico.

    What is impressive about York is that he achieves so much success in an aging arena, on a campus where hockey is 3rd fiddle.
    Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

    Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com



    "I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

  9. #9
    Puck Swami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Posts
    14,433

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by Zudnic View Post
    What is impressive about York is that he achieves so much success in an aging arena, on a campus where hockey is 3rd fiddle.
    Conte Forum was built in the late 80s, correct? So it's a little over 20 years old. Is that "aging" now? I am getting old.

  10. #10
    Say, this is nice. Jon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    34,258

    Wink Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    I will gladly take Jerry York off your hands if you want Blasi.

    "I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

    2008 POTY

  11. #11
    Boston or bust...
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by Zudnic View Post
    I wonder how much of his success has been the new Goggin center. If you look at his first six years, he was mediocre, with one good season (23-14-4). In 2004 they broke ground on the Goggin, and since 2005-2006 they haven't been worse than ten games over .500.

    I don't know the reason for the sudden jump in performance. It could be the arena itself, it could be a larger University commitment to hockey of which the new arena was just the most visible symptom, or it could be Rico.

    What is impressive about York is that he achieves so much success in an aging arena, on a campus where hockey is 3rd fiddle.
    It was building over time, but in watching the progress, I've noticed that Rico has gotten demonstrably better as an X's and O's guy (timeout notwithstanding). Remember, he was 27 years old when he got the job. That said, he's still friggin young compared to the most successful guys - Berenson, York, Parker, Gwoz, Comley, etc.

    Like the program, Rico's gotten better and it's a chicken/egg kind of thing.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by umassfan49 View Post
    If you didn't have Jerry York you probably wouldn't be starting almost as many posts to begin your career as VermontDAD!
    Okay.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I will gladly take Jerry York off your hands if you want Blasi.
    Haha, I am very happy with York. Just saying that Miami's got a good one in Blasi.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    38,030

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk95 View Post
    It was building over time, but in watching the progress, I've noticed that Rico has gotten demonstrably better as an X's and O's guy (timeout notwithstanding). Remember, he was 27 years old when he got the job. That said, he's still friggin young compared to the most successful guys - Berenson, York, Parker, Gwoz, Comley, etc.

    Like the program, Rico's gotten better and it's a chicken/egg kind of thing.
    Interesting parallels

    Jerry got the Clarkson head coach job in 1972-73 when he was 27. 4 years later he has the #1 team in the nation. He can recruit and he can teach. Plus he wasn't that bad a tennis coach either!
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

    ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

    Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

    I want to live forever. So far, so good.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    far west of boston
    Posts
    133

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Conte Forum was built in the late 80s, correct? So it's a little over 20 years old. Is that "aging" now? I am getting old.
    On a tangent......

    Conte Forum was constructed as a basketball arena first...hockey second.

    In my mind, the administration made a mistake in accepting that design. In 20 years, BC basketball has pretty much sunk to mediocrity. Hockey, on the other hand, has done very well.

    At least on our end of Commonwealth Ave, there was no debate about which sport was more important at Agganis Arena. Its a hockey venue....pure and simple.
    Thank goodness for advanced technology.

  16. #16
    Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose Zudnic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Doofenshmirtz' Island Hideout
    Posts
    12,770

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Swami View Post
    Conte Forum was built in the late 80s, correct? So it's a little over 20 years old. Is that "aging" now? I am getting old.
    IIRC it opened in '88. It is definitely showing its age, and in the past few years they have done some nice work to freshen it up. Surely from a player perspective it's not up to the standards of sparkling new arenas like Agganis, Goggin, or the new Bemidji barn. It is probably comparable to arenas in the 10-20 year range like Mullins or Maruicci. I doubt BC would let it deteriorate like BGSU.
    Boston College Eagle Hockey » "We want our players to leave here with a diploma in one hand and a ring in the other." - Jerry York

    Try FantasyCollegeHockey.com



    "I said, it's all in our hands / got to learn to respect what we don't understand /we are fortunate ones, fortunate ones, I swear."

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,535

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Someday (not in the near future), BC should have its own hockey specific arena. They certainly have the money.

  18. #18
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,710

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by yuber View Post
    At least on our end of Commonwealth Ave, there was no debate about which sport was more important
    Duh.

  19. #19
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,710

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by Zudnic View Post
    It is probably comparable to arenas in the 10-20 year range like ... Mariucci.
    This is pretty much blasphemy.

  20. #20
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,889

    Re: I will say this, if we didn't have Jerry York

    Quote Originally Posted by yuber View Post
    On a tangent......

    Conte Forum was constructed as a basketball arena first...hockey second.

    In my mind, the administration made a mistake in accepting that design. In 20 years, BC basketball has pretty much sunk to mediocrity. Hockey, on the other hand, has done very well.

    At least on our end of Commonwealth Ave, there was no debate about which sport was more important at Agganis Arena. Its a hockey venue....pure and simple.
    Pfffffffffffff.

    The hoops team was in the ACC title game not too long ago and had some very good teams that Skinner screwed up with in the NCAAs in the not so distant past.

    Are they mediocre now? Maybe that's even generous. But about 4 years ago they were pretty good and a pick by one major publication to win the national title going into the tourney with Hinnant, Smith, and Dudley.

    Let's see what happens now that they got rid of Skinner. Not too long ago both programs were highly competitive and the arena served both programs quite well and the arena continues to do so as they've continually made upgrades to it (check out the new scoreboards). BU built a hockey only facility because their athletic department is a one-trick pony. That's nothing to be proud of - which can be said of most things associated with BU.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •