Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CCHA Fans, Re: Shootouts.

Originally posted by TGB View Post
    does the 30 foot by 50 foot sheet in my backyard count, even though it isn't a "pond."
    Absolutely!

When I was growing up we had a couple of different backyard set-ups. One was 40x50 feet. I guess we were playing on Olympic Ice.

i agree that the reason i outlined isn't a definitive reason for keeping it but sometimes decisions carry unintended consequences which are sometimes a benefit. i think the shootout is a good example of this.
    I'll buy that.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
      You are normally a voice of reason and logic on this forum, but I fear you are missing a central point. Americans DEMAND that ANY type of competition arrive eventually at a point that separates WINNERS from LOSERS. Whether in business, politics, athletics, or armed combat; there MUST be a winner and a loser. Anything less starts us down that 'slippery slope' leading to a "Thank You For Participating" award for everybody.

I sincerely believe that too frequent 'ties' are one major reason why this sport (which we love so much) has never been embraced in the USA on the same level as football, baseball, NASCAR or even golf. Canadians, on the other hand, are more willing to accept ties in their 'national past time' for two basic reasons:

1. Being buried up to their elbows in snow for the majority of the year, they have been sapped of their strength.
      2. The same passive attitude that keeps them under a self-imposed allegiance to the English crown. They never had the stones to have a true revolution or any great civil war...they insist on treating conquered savages with dignity (First Nation, HA! Uncle Sam knows what to do with those losers...kill them off, then name sports teams after them). Any country that falls into the pseudo-commie clap-trap of feeling a need to assure that all their people have access to a solid education and decent health care without regard to financial status...well, they can certainly deal with a few hockey games ending in ties. But it will never work here! Not in the good old US of A.

We need winners so we can worship them, at least until we tire of them, then we revel in watching them self-destruct. Tiger Woods, Mark McGwire, Kobe Bryant, Mike Vick, Mel Gibson, Donald Trump.

We need losers so we feel better about ourselves. Horatio Alger would love the Chicago Cubs, Michigan Tech and Sarah Palin. Hope springs eternal... "we'll get 'em next time!"

As the winners fall from grace, they become lovable again and we root for them to persevere through some sort of rebuilding process, financial reorganization or rehab program, then the whole process can repeat itself.

Their were no ties at Bunker Hill, Gettysburg or Normandy. There will never be a tie in the World Series, Daytona 500 or The Masters. No matter how many 'hanging chads' there might have been in Florida, Bush & Gore were never going to be roomies at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Sooner or later Pepsi or Coke will prevail.

Surely, you see the error in your logic now. Ties disrupt the natural ebb and flow of the American Dream and, therefore, need to be broken. Thank you.
      To quote Otto from A Fish Called Wanda, "We didn't lose Vietnam. It was a tie!"

Comment

Originally posted by hudspart View Post
        And to think... a lot of people would rather have lost in Vietnam than tied there.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gomer View Post
          They don't bother me. Nor do I require them. Ties to me though, after 65 minutes of hockey are a little anticlimactic.
          What is anti-climactic, is waiting for the zamboni to clear the ice, and then watching a snooze-fest of a skills competition immediately after an intense sudden death OT period!

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
            Nobody will start going to college hockey games bc there's a chance they might see a shootout, just as the NHL hasn't started getting more fans bc they've added shootouts.

Shootouts aren't the worst thing in the world, but they still suck.
            Exactly, what (sane) non-hockey fan is going to sit down to watch a 2.5 hour game because it MIGHT go to a shootout???

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              Me too. I wanted to leave, but curiousity kept me in my seat. The one shootout I saw was enough.

I think basketball games should be resolved with slam dunk contests (It's not like they play defense in the NBA anyway). That would be even more awesome than hockey shootouts. An individual skill competition that keeps Joe Redneck entertained because while he has no problem marrying his cousin, he hates ties that are like "kissing your sister".

I propose next year all CCHA games where the score remains tied after 5 minutes of overtime, the home team should pick the intermission game (tricycle race, frozen t-shirt, etc) of their choice for the teams to compete at to determine a winner. This will help bring in the casual fans who have always wanted to be a college athlete. They may get an opportunity to try the same competitions at intermission.

Ties are a part of life and are often the correct result of a game. There is not a winner in every battle, but the outcome of each battle helps to determine the winner of the war. Accept the tie and keep the integrity of the team sport.
              I sure hope Gary Bettman doesn't see this post. He would be on these ideas for the NHL in a heartbeat!
              (but we're probably safe, as only someone who likes hockey would be on a college hockey board)

Comment

Of course Otto also thinks the central message of Buddhism is "every man for himself"
                Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Just remember, Otto was a congenital idiot. He also believes:

*The Gettysburg address is where Lincoln lived.
                  *The London Underground is a political movement.
                  *The central message of Buddhism is "every man for himself"
                  Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

The shootout is a terrible gimmick that has run its course.

The ridiculous point system now in place in the CCHA points to the second class management in charge of this league.

Switch it back to bring back the integrity to the game and the league standings.

The league leadership should put it back to playing a 5 minute overtime during the regular season and leave it at that with a well earned tie if both teams cannot decide it.

Comment

Originally posted by MUhawks628 View Post
                      No, but they should give it some serious consideration
                      No, because John Daly would have the record Tiger Woods has, at least on the golf course.

Comment

I personally don't have a problem with the use of a shootout to break a tie. Remember the shootout result is only used within the CCHA. For NCAA purposes the game is still considered a tie, not a win or a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          The one shootout I saw was enough.

I think basketball games should be resolved with slam dunk contests (It's not like they play defense in the NBA anyway). That would be even more awesome than hockey shootouts. An individual skill competition that keeps Joe Redneck entertained because while he has no problem marrying his cousin, he hates ties that are like "kissing your sister".

I propose next year all CCHA games where the score remains tied after 5 minutes of overtime, the home team should pick the intermission game (tricycle race, frozen t-shirt, etc) of their choice for the teams to compete at to determine a winner. This will help bring in the casual fans who have always wanted to be a college athlete. They may get an opportunity to try the same competitions at intermission.

Ties are a part of life and are often the correct result of a game. There is not a winner in every battle, but the outcome of each battle helps to determine the winner of the war. Accept the tie and keep the integrity of the team sport.
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.
                          Still anticipating the all-CCHA Frozen Four

Comment

Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine View Post
                            I like it.

Sig'ed
                            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine

Arenas visited:
                            7 B1G
                            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                              I personally don't have a problem with the use of a shootout to break a tie. Remember the shootout result is only used within the CCHA. For NCAA purposes the game is still considered a tie, not a win or a loss.
                              That's my take on it.

Then again, I'm also glad to have the shootouts because I hated seeing so many ties in the standings. I don't mind teams that have 2, 3, 4 ties in conference play for the season... it's going to happen. But when teams get 7 ties in a year? That's all they're doing is just playing for the free point. One quarter of their season was pi**ed away earning ties.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                                Actually in the CCHA the game is still considered a tie too. The shootout is only for the extra point in the standings, not to break the tie.

That said the shootout is nothing more then a gimmick.
                                Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X