NCHA 2009-2010 Second Half Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCHA 2009-2010 Second Half Thread

They have come flying out since the break. I hope Freeman has dialed them up for a stretch run, which it appears he has.
    Voice of UWRF Athletics 2007-
    Voice of River Falls High School Athletics 2007-
    Green Bay Bullfrogs Baseball-2010
    Eau Claire Express Baseball-2011

Comment

I was pretty shocked by the 5-0 River Falls win over CSS Friday night. It's one thing to win a close one, but 5-0 over one of the better teams in the country was impressive/surprising.

Next weekends Point/RF series is a big one for both teams. If Point wants any shot at a home playoff series, they need to get points there. On the flip side, a good weekend for Falls puts them right in the thick of it and they could make a good run at the conference championship.

But this is the NCHA and as usual, nothing is clear after this weekend, and nothing will be clear after next weekend.
      Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
      2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
      2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
      2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
      "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

The only advanatge of wining the league is of course the prestige of saying you won the NCHA and you get a bye first round of playoffs but in reality there is no real clear advantage is there? EVERYONE makes the playoffs! It seems that in this league with all the teams being able to beat any other team on a given weekend the actual season is just warm up for the playoffs. Other leagues actauly have weak teams at the bottom and with the that scenario being in the top 3 or 4 teams would give you a clear advantage because your mini series would be against a teams most likely you could beat in at least the 1st and maybe 2nd round.

What is your propective?

Comment

Originally posted by Collegeman View Post
          The only advanatge of wining the league is of course the prestige of saying you won the NCHA and you get a bye first round of playoffs but in reality there is no real clear advantage is there? EVERYONE makes the playoffs! It seems that in this league with all the teams being able to beat any other team on a given weekend the actual season is just warm up for the playoffs. Other leagues actauly have weak teams at the bottom and with the that scenario being in the top 3 or 4 teams would give you a clear advantage because your mini series would be against a teams most likely you could beat in at least the 1st and maybe 2nd round.

What is your propective?
          I think this year there is slightly more of an advantage. Previously, it just meant you get the worst-performing team in the league. But this year, it means you avoid the two-plus-mini series. You get to rest up and prepare, while whatever team you are playing is playing at least 2 games. #7 plays the #2 team. Imagine that #7 splits the series with #2, then wins it in a long (OT-riddled) minigame. Now, you have the best-performing team in the conference with a full roster of very fresh legs, hosting the worst-performing team in the conference who are extremely fatigued after playing 3 important playoff games. Who has the CLEAR advantage here?

I know, it's hypothetical, but no matter WHO the #1 team plays, they are coming with fresh legs to face off against a team who has played at least 2 hard-fought (as all NCHA games are) playoff games.

In summary: The departure of Lake Forest results in the Regular Season Champion actually having some advantage in the playoffs.
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            I think this year there is slightly more of an advantage. Previously, it just meant you get the worst-performing team in the league. But this year, it means you avoid the two-plus-mini series. You get to rest up and prepare, while whatever team you are playing is playing at least 2 games. #7 plays the #2 team. Imagine that #7 splits the series with #2, then wins it in a long (OT-riddled) minigame. Now, you have the best-performing team in the conference with a full roster of very fresh legs, hosting the worst-performing team in the conference who are extremely fatigued after playing 3 important playoff games. Who has the CLEAR advantage here?

I know, it's hypothetical, but no matter WHO the #1 team plays, they are coming with fresh legs to face off against a team who has played at least 2 hard-fought (as all NCHA games are) playoff games.

In summary: The departure of Lake Forest results in the Regular Season Champion actually having some advantage in the playoffs.
            Interesting. I seem to recall CSS taking out Superior in a similar fashion to your hypothetical situation (OT minigame) a few years back, although I think they were 5th seed, and then they took out River Falls. Had River Falls rested, who knows?

However, I think the bye into the Semis all but locks up a Pool C to the NCAAs for the #1 seed. As has been the case the last few years, the NCHA regular season champion makes the big dance no matter what happens, if they make the second round. If three or four teams come out with very successful seasons, it's almost guaranteed. We saw last year a third-place CSS squad get an invite after dropping a close semifinal to Stout. They were the third NCHA team in.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueDevilRadio View Post
              NCHA Standing's as of 1/17/10

1. St. Norbert (13-3-1) 16 PTS
              2. UW-Stout (8-7-3) 15 PTS
              3. St. Scholastica (11-3-3) 13 PTS
              4. UW-River Falls (10-5-2) 10 PTS
              5. UW-Eau Claire (6-8-3) 7 PTS
              6. UW-Stevens Point (8-8-1) 6 PTS
              7. UW-Superior (8-7-2) 5 PTS
              Well, you are partially correct!

NCHA Standings are:

GP W-L-T Pts.
              1. SNC 10 8-2-0 16
              2. Stout 12 6-3-3 15
              3. St. Sch. 10 5-2-3 13
              4. River Falls 10 4-4-2 10
              5. Eau Clr. 10 2-5-3 7
              6. Point 10 3-7-0 6
              7. UW Soup 10 2-7-1 5

I think that you mixed up overall records with NCHA records. Additionally, please note that Stout has played two additional games to date.
              SNC: 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

TBB's last sentence is of major importance. Stout has really turned things around after a poor start, but they aren't in as good of shape as the standings suggest without taking their 2 extra games into account.
                Still No Championships - R.I.P. 3/23/2008

"It's a great day to be great!" Greg Jennings 2/6/11

"I don't step on toes, LittleJohn, I step on necks!" - C. Norris

I've got the fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.

2008 D3 Poster of the Year
                2007 D3 Tournament of Posters Champion
                2005-2006 D3 Rookie Poster of the Year
                Boycotting that steaming pantload Relevant Radio since 10/25/06!

Comment

Originally posted by MW4Bucky&SNC View Post
                  TBB's last sentence is of major importance. Stout has really turned things around after a poor start, but they aren't in as good of shape as the standings suggest without taking their 2 extra games into account.
                  True but I think this weekend shows how unpredictable the NCHA is. Any team can win on any given night and come tournament time the conference tournament will be very fun to watch. It will be very interesting to see who wins and gets the autobid
                  Last edited by Fritz62; 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Stevens Point at River Falls 7:05 Live on pureradio887.com at 6:47.

Comment

Originally posted by FALCONSANNOUNCER View Post
                      Stevens Point at River Falls 7:05 Live on pureradio887.com at 6:47.
                      Also watch: http://www.pennatlantic.com/main.php...5&schoolId=306

Comment

Falcons 1 Pointers 0 19:00 to play in first

Comment

Falcons 1 Pointers 1 17:17 to go in 1st

Comment

EC 1 CSS 0 12:00 mins to go in 1st

Comment

Falcons 2 Pointers 1 3:00 left in first
                              EC 1 CSS 0

Comment

There's a score update thread you might want to post these in

Comment

Working...
                                X