The NCHA standings look like this:

St. Norbert - 14
    St. Scholastica - 12
    Stout - 11
    River Falls - 7
    Stevens Point - 6
    Superior - 5
    Eau Claire - 5

Stout and Stevens Point only have eight games left, the other five teams have taken their bye already and have 10 left. How does the race for the first-round Peters Cup bye shape up? Do my Knights have enough to win an 11th NCHA title or will CSS overtake them? Looks like a two-horse race to me at this point between the Catholics.

Re: NCHA 2009-2010 Second Half Thread

I agree, I also think it's between SNC and CSS. SNC is definetaly in the drivers seat, but there are certainly a lot of games to be played, and as it has been shown, every game is a battle in the NCHA.

It'll be interesting to see how Stout and Superior do in the second half, because they seem to be on the slide.

Hopefully Point can get a home playoff series, that's the goal now. They've seemed to turn the corner.
    Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
    2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
    2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
    2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
    "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Comment

Originally posted by Wormser-PointRC View Post
      I agree, I also think it's between SNC and CSS. SNC is definetaly in the drivers seat, but there are certainly a lot of games to be played, and as it has been shown, every game is a battle in the NCHA.
      On thing that I think may be getting lost in the shuffle of Oswego/Adrian and Plattsburgh/Elmira is the play of St. Scholastica.

Was at the Hamline and game on Friday and the Saints looked flat out sensational. Even Bridges commented that he thought it was about as close to perfect of a game as could be played. Very impressive. Having already earned the road split at the CCC, don't count out Scholastica. I, somehow remarkably, have seen them seven times this year and think they, thus far, are better than they were last year.
      “You drive by some of these rinks in the winter and there isn't anybody out there. It's kind of sad, actually...Here it’s go to the rink, pay for your ice time and practice for an hour where we could just walk to the rink and skate for four hours if we wanted to...It was just a lot of fun. I wish I could go back and be eight years old for a couple days" -Neal Broten

2010-11 DIII Commitments
      19gp, (23-24-47), +27

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew Webb View Post
        On thing that I think may be getting lost in the shuffle of Oswego/Adrian and Plattsburgh/Elmira is the play of St. Scholastica.

Was at the Hamline and game on Friday and the Saints looked flat out sensational. Even Bridges commented that he thought it was about as close to perfect of a game as could be played. Very impressive. Having already earned the road split at the CCC, don't count out Scholastica. I, somehow remarkably, have seen them seven times this year and think they, thus far, are better than they were last year.
        I remember thinking while watching the CSS/UWS games online...holy cow. CSS dominated those games. They looked to be very very good.
        UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
        NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
        Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

It appears that if Scholastica beats RF this weekend it would pretty much eliminate falcons since Falcons got beat both games before the break by Stout. River Falls is in a must win situation to stay in a place where they can control there destiny.

How does playoffs work, how many teams go to them and does the 1st place team get a bye or does 1st play 4th etc?

Comment

Originally posted by Collegeman View Post
            It appears that if Scholastica beats RF this weekend it would pretty much eliminate falcons since Falcons got beat both games before the break by Stout. River Falls is in a must win situation to stay in a place where they can control there destiny.

How does playoffs work, how many teams go to them and does the 1st place team get a bye or does 1st play 4th etc?
            CHAMPIONSHIP
            All seven (7) teams will qualify for playoffs, with teams seeded #1 through #7
            Top seed receives a bye and hosts lowest remaining seed in Semifinals
            Quarterfinals will be two games + mini game series format on Feb 19-20, 2010at high seeds
            Semifinals will be single-elimination and hosted by high seeds Feb 27, 2010
            Championship will be single-elimination and hosted by high seed Mar 6, 2010
            Winner of Championship receives automatic bid to NCAA Tournament
            From NCHA website
            UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
            NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
            Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

CSS, I believe, has surprised everyone this year with seemingly no indication that they lost 10 seniors, including 2 All-Americans and two other very good offensive forwards to graduation. I know I've been amazed by their mostly stellar play and I know Coach Wick didn't know what to expect this year either.

That said, I was going to say I'm worried about their play as the season progresses, as they have a number of freshmen getting a lot of ice time. Then I looked at the stats, where I noticed only about 5 freshmen are regulars. Their sound defeat of Hamline coming off of break does a lot to dispel my fears of them fading down the stretch like in the 2005 season.

Impact freshmen are Tyler Miller and Brett Corcoran, and what was at the beginning of the season a shaky goaltending duo has evolved into a solid rotation.

The biggest difference I've noticed is Jordan Chong. He is much faster than he was last year, and he's always had a knack for scoring on breakouts. Since Thanksgiving, he's been on a role and has scored a goal or more in every game since, which is up to 7 games now, and has 12 points in that span, too. I think this UWRF series will give a good indication as to how they'll fare in the rest of the season--if they do as well as they did last weekend, they'll be in good shape.

Comment

CSS not as sharp as you all thought 5-0 loss to Falcons. Although I believe this was more shaky goaltending then the Falcons dominating as CSS did have 42 shots on goal. Tonight will decide whether its goaltending or the Falcons just flat out-played CSS.
                Voice of UWRF Athletics 2007-
                Voice of River Falls High School Athletics 2007-
                Green Bay Bullfrogs Baseball-2010
                Eau Claire Express Baseball-2011

Comment

Originally posted by FALCONSANNOUNCER View Post
                  CSS not as sharp as you all thought 5-0 loss to Falcons. Although I believe this was more shaky goaltending then the Falcons dominating as CSS did have 42 shots on goal. Tonight will decide whether its goaltending or the Falcons just flat out-played CSS.
                  I have a feeling you're gonna find out for sure...

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                    I have a feeling you're gonna find out for sure...
                    Ditto. Saints played much worse than normal.

Comment

2 goals were tic tac toe back door plays that goaltender could do nothing about, and one was a breakaway goal. More of css turnovers and mistakes then shaky goaltending. you have to score to win. uwrf just made the most out of there oppurtunitys. Tonight i do agree could be a differenst story everything last night went uwrf way so css should be jacked up tonight.

Also uwrf has not lost on the road this year yet, very strange. There much better on the road so far. Uwrf has talent and if they hustle and stay out of the box they can play and beat anyone. When they take tons of penaltys is where they get in trouble.
                      Last edited by bladesofsteel; 01-16-2010, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Here's a question for you guys who have seen RF a few times: are they always as dangerous as they were this weekend? Whenever they had a chance to shoot, they had a chance to score. Some great one timers and snipes.

On another note, about the game tonight: CSS played MUCH better than last night, more like what I've seen of them in other games. They should have won, giving up leads of 3-0, 4-2, and 5-3 to let UWRF hang around. However, UWRF skated well and had a scoring prowess I don't remember seeing for a while. CSS controlled a lot of play, and in my opinion were the better team on the ice, but the Falcons earned their tie by moving their feet. The Saints tired a little by the end, as they did begin on at a very fast tempo. Bottom line is, the Saints should be pretty tired after practice this week and figure out how to preserve a lead.

Comment

You know I don`t really have a favorite in this league but I have to admit I like watching River Falls when they are broadcast because they are a wild card team, they just don`t give up, they are fiesty and a bunch of young guys.

They just come out of nowhere and win. Even when you think they are out of it you watch because they might make a few streak goals. Not sure if their penalty problem is their youth or undisiplined penalties but they kill themselves with them.

They got beat bad by Stout but they came back and made it close in the 2nd game before the break. They battled Norbert for two games and now they come back on the Saints when they had to win this weekend to stay in the race. You could tell in the 1st period they were slow and then moved their feet. Falcons seem to roll all 4 lines but at the end of this game theh went with just 4 D and into OT.
                          Last edited by Collegeman; 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM.

Comment

yes rf has the ability and talent to put it in the net when they stay out of the box and move there feet as they showed late tonight. tonight with 30 seconds river falls was down 5-3 and calleja passed it to czuba to make it 5-4 then calleja turns around and scores right away to tie it with about 15 seconds left. what a crazy game and uwrf never quit. callejas been on fire with 14 pts in his last 7 games and he and czuba been feeding off each other very well.

uwrf has more depth then people think, .tonight i think every line scored. They are a good team when they stay out of the box. at home they have been in trouble with to many penaltys against stout and norbs which was almost all there loses. dangerous team if they dont beat themselves

Comment

NCHA Standing's as of 1/17/10

1. St. Norbert (13-3-1) 16 PTS
                              2. UW-Stout (8-7-3) 15 PTS
                              3. St. Scholastica (11-3-3) 13 PTS
                              4. UW-River Falls (10-5-2) 10 PTS
                              5. UW-Eau Claire (6-8-3) 7 PTS
                              6. UW-Stevens Point (8-8-1) 6 PTS
                              7. UW-Superior (8-7-2) 5 PTS
                              WATCH Stout Blue Devil Hockey Live!

Stout Student Section: Devils' Advocates

NCHA Peters Cup Playoff Champions: 08-09
                              NCHA Regular Season Championships: 06-08 (Shared)
                              WIAC Championships: 10-11
                              NCHA Runner-Up: 07-08
                              NCAA National Tourney Appearances: 07-08, 08-09

Webmaster & Tech Guru - www.stouthockey.com - DIII Hockey's most popular fan site.

Comment

Working...
                              X