Reason for Manhattanville's Slump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for Manhattanville's Slump?

After a strong start to the season at 5-0 and vaulting up into the USCHO top 5 while receiving some #1 votes, the Manhattanville Valiants have lost their last four games to Curry, Williams, Elmira, and Hobart. Granted, none of those teams are cupcakes this year but still. Manhattanville as I was told many times for questioning their legitimacy as #1 this season returned almost everyone and only lost FOUR games last season.

Well they've lost four games already this season and still have plenty of tough games remaining on the schedule and it's only Decemeber.

My reasoning for their slump....I think the hockey team may be hanging out with these girls and the Ruberto brothers a bit too much recently.

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q-2m3RxCBP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q-2m3RxCBP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: Reason for Manhattanville's Slump?

I JUST got rid of that song running around in my head last week, and now it's back.

Thanks a lot....
    Go 'Wick!

Comment

That's my future Grad School you're talking about. Watch it.
      Oswego State Great Lakers: 2007 National Champions
      08-09 WTOP 10 Sports Director
      2/20/2009: First Ever Laker Hockey Webcast

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

******* width="425" height="344">****** name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q-2m3RxCBP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&">****** name="allowFullScreen" value="true">****** name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">****** src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q-2m3RxCBP0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
        That’s enough to get expelled at EC. I remember someone got expelled because they were in a picture from years prior with drug paraphernalia in their dorm room.

Comment

Maybe they got depressed after someone stole their wallets.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
            That’s enough to get expelled at EC. I remember someone got expelled because they were in a picture from years prior with drug paraphernalia in their dorm room.
            At Siena a few years ago, someone got expelled because a little sex tape filmed in high school was located by an angry roommate and spread around campus...

Just sayin, it needn't have happened in college.
            Plattsburgh CARDINALS
            SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
            ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
            NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
            NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
            NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
            NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
              At Siena a few years ago, someone got expelled because a little sex tape filmed in high school was located by an angry roommate and spread around campus...

I find it hard to believe any college has any legal standing to be able to do this. I smell a lawsuit coming. (Was it perhaps the one who spread the tape around who was the one who got expelled?)

Getting back to Preze's initial question with a serious answer, three of those initial five Manhattanville wins were against Lebanon Valley. Maybe the bottom line is, Manhattanville is just not that good this year. That's why I picked their game against Geneseo as one of my nominations for game of the week in my column. Both teams have a lot of questions to answer.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Getting back to Preze's initial question with a serious answer, three of those initial five Manhattanville wins were against Lebanon Valley. Maybe the bottom line is, Manhattanville is just not that good this year. That's why I picked their game against Geneseo as one of my nominations for game of the week in my column. Both teams have a lot of questions to answer.
                Geneseo definitely has an early stranglehold on the "team with the most what-ifs?" award for 09-10. As Schultz said after the Oswego game they essentially have had 4 games against the #1 team in the country(I assume he was giving Neumann the default #1 since they were the defending champs and no poll released yet). In all four games Geneseo was tied heading into the third period. During last year's campaign they were 5-0-0 in games were they were tied heading into the 3rd period. They lost all 4 games this season. They also lost an OT game to Morrissville were they had all the momentum heading into the extra frame. They were 3-0-1 in OT games last year. If they ended up going 3 - 1 - 1 in those games (say they tied with Mo'ville and lost 1 of the 2 Neumann games) they would be sitting at 7-3-1 with road wins over Plattsburgh, Oswego, and Neumann. I realize the odds of pulling off those 3 wins are slim, but it can't be much slimmer than a team that was 5-0-0 in tied after 2 period games and 3-0-1 in OT games going 0-5-0 in games of that nature this year.

It has been a roller coaster ride so far this season as an Ice Knight fan. The season started off with 3 close losses (the aforementioned Neumann/Plattsburgh losses). Next, they had two nice wins to right the ship against Potsdam/Hobart and it seemed like things were going to take off from there. Next up, a heartbreaking loss against Mo'ville in OT and an embarrassment against Fredonia. The team was so injured after that Fredonia game I thought (depending on the severity of the injuries) we may not win another game the rest of the season. The team dug deep and found a way to win the next two games and I started thinking "we can salvage this season yet." Two more losses this past weekend and I'm back on the edge of the cliff.

As far as Manhattanville, I'll get to see them this weekend to make up my own mind via the "eyeball test." For those who don't have that luxury, I'd say that if you liked them heading into the year 7 days of bad hockey shouldn't dissuade you from liking them now because A) It wasn't that bad they were playing some pretty good teams in all 4 games B) There is just way too much season left. On the other end, if you didn't think they were that good heading into the season they probably haven't done anything to make you change your mind.
                Last edited by SB in the 'Seo; 12-10-2009, 06:08 PM.
                Geneseo Ice Knights Color Commentator 2008 - 2009

Listen to GSU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  I find it hard to believe any college has any legal standing to be able to do this. I smell a lawsuit coming. (Was it perhaps the one who spread the tape around who was the one who got expelled?)
                  She was less expelled, and more "politely asked to leave"

And on the original question, we all knew at the start fo the year that almost all of the traditional powerhouses, AND those with recent success, had serious questions this year. Some (Oswego, Plattsburgh, Norwich, Adrian, the top 4 in the nation) have done really well addressing those questions. Others (Mahattanville, Hobart, Middlebury, Stout, Superior) have not done so well.

I don't think this is a sign of things to come: the traditionally strong teams, especially M'ville, Hobart, and Superior, are traditionally strong for a reason. Their reputation attracts good recruits, despite recent slumps. They're having an off year, bottom line.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS
                  SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
                  ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
                  NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
                  NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
                  NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
                  NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

She was less expelled, and more "politely asked to leave"

And on the original question, we all knew at the start fo the year that almost all of the traditional powerhouses, AND those with recent success, had serious questions this year. Some (Oswego, Plattsburgh, Norwich, Adrian, the top 4 in the nation) have done really well addressing those questions. Others (Mahattanville, Hobart, Middlebury, Stout, Superior) have not done so well.

I don't think this is a sign of things to come: the traditionally strong teams, especially M'ville, Hobart, and Superior, are traditionally strong for a reason. Their reputation attracts good recruits, despite recent slumps. They're having an off year, bottom line.
                    Hobart is not exactly a traditionally strong team. Manhattanville has been good since their program started (for the most part), but they don't have a deep history to fall back on either.

Comment

Originally posted by one_to7 View Post
                      Hobart is not exactly a traditionally strong team. Manhattanville has been good since their program started (for the most part), but they don't have a deep history to fall back on either.
                      They've both been decent/good programs for about the same time frame.

Hobart's been to more FF's too
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Not doubting you heard this, but it sounds like an urban legend to me. Other than the remote possibility that Siena asks its potential students if they ever knowingly appeared in a sex tape prior to admission as a condition of admission; at which a "Furnishing False Information" clause could be enforced. Additionally, actions in which someone could be deemed a "Disruptive Student" could lead to expulsion, but being the victim if a malicious roommate would not make one a "Disruptive Student", unless they retaliated in such a manner that they became a "Disruptive Student". A significant case for explusion of the roommate could easily be made.

This case at Plattsburgh, however is not an urban legend (more here).

Nor is this hockey related case.

Siena's expulsion policy:
                        Right to Take Disciplinary Action

The College reserves the right to suspend, dismiss or expel any student when, in the opinion of the College as determined by the Vice President for Student Affairs, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students, Associate Dean of Students or designee, his or her behavior threatens or endangers the health, safety, or well-being of the College community or of any person and/or violates the Code of Conduct, and/or violates other College policies, rules, regulations, terms, conditions, or guidelines. In addition, the College reserves the right to impose penalties which include, but are not limited to: fines, cancellation of the housing license, suspension, and expulsion.
                        Last edited by norm1909; 12-11-2009, 07:51 AM.
                        Larry Normandin
                        SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                        WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Let's face it, the real reason M'ville is losing is that I started picking them to win.
                          Real Life is drawing without an eraser.

Comment

1 reason Mville Slump= GOALTENDING.

They actually outshot and dominated each opponent in that string of 4 losses @ home. In 3/4 games they doubled opponents shot total. Mville goalies didnt complete a game. They are talented and dangerous,hopefully they get this goalie thing figured out!

Comment

Their goals against weren't that bad, if anything I'd say it's scoring that's costing them.

Comment

Working...
                              X