Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 100

Thread: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

  1. #1
    Wildcat in Bulldog-land nmupiccdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    12,304

    The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    The Wildcats head eastward to the Soo to take on the Lakers.
    NMU is coming off of a low-scoring split with MSU, and Soo Tech just saw a sweep of BGSU.

    Let the hate flow.
    Always a Wildcat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    US ARMY/Arizona
    Posts
    3,395

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    This will be an interesting series. The Cats need to focus on Lake St. and get healthier by this weekend. Time to get over this hump, take names and make a run...................

    LETS GO CATS!!!!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Soo
    Posts
    665

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Should be a good matchup, the Wildcats will be facing a Lakers squad that has more depth and better goaltending than the squads of the past few years. Any points NMU takes home from the Soo they will have surely worked hard for.

  4. #4
    Wildcat in Bulldog-land nmupiccdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    12,304

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    Should be a good matchup, the Wildcats will be facing a Lakers squad that has more depth and better goaltending than the squads of the past few years. Any points NMU takes home from the Soo they will have surely worked hard for.
    I will agree with this. I saw Lake State when they played at Tech for the Superior Showcase, and they did look tougher than in the past. This is going to be another match up like this past weekend--tough and low scoring.
    Always a Wildcat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

  5. #5
    Crazy Kowalski
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    7,286

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    The two teams I've seen the most this year face off. Also, possibly my only chance to see the Wildcats play in-person.

    BMW was hurt on Friday and did not play Saturday. I've heard he should be good to go, but a goalie that isn't at 100% is not good. Inglis doesn't scare me in goal as a Wildcat fan.

    Lake State has gone through a 6-game winless streak, including being embarrassed at home by Michigan. Scoring can be a problem, but when it comes, it comes from many sources.

    Based on watching NMU's last series, I'd give the Wildcats the edge this weekend, though a split is likely.

    I encourage all Wildcat fans to make the trip. The arena needs something to help fill it. Plus they have good big cookies.

  6. #6
    potternmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ida, MI
    Posts
    855

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Kujo/NMU Hockey View Post
    This will be an interesting series. The Cats need to focus on Lake St. and get healthier by this weekend. Time to get over this hump, take names and make a run...................

    LETS GO CATS!!!!
    What's the current injury situation look like?

  7. #7
    Sieve Boy!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by potternmu View Post
    What's the current injury situation look like?
    Smith is out
    Butcher played last week with a cast for a broken finger
    Olver sat out Friday/Played Saturday with an "Undisclosed Injury." I tried doing some digging, but sources wouldn't speak, no matter how much I tried.
    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

    Born a Black Bear
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

    A NMU Wildcat for Life
    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

    NMU Hockey
    2006-2007: 15-24-2
    2007-2008: 20-20-4
    2008-2009: 18-16-5


    1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

  8. #8
    potternmu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Ida, MI
    Posts
    855

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Smith is out
    Butcher played last week with a cast for a broken finger
    Olver sat out Friday/Played Saturday with an "Undisclosed Injury." I tried doing some digging, but sources wouldn't speak, no matter how much I tried.
    Thanks

  9. #9
    What's Next? hockeybando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walmart
    Posts
    9,350

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Hooray! I get to see the games this weekend!


    MinnesotaNorthStar: bando > all of you
    streaker:There isn't a team in this league she doesn't mention, (well, okay, she probably doesn't know there is a team in Marquette) if it does something worth mentioning.
    TwitchBoy: what the heck, GO CATS GO CATS GOCATSGO!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,860

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by nmu_27 View Post
    The two teams I've seen the most this year face off. Also, possibly my only chance to see the Wildcats play in-person.

    BMW was hurt on Friday and did not play Saturday. I've heard he should be good to go, but a goalie that isn't at 100% is not good. Inglis doesn't scare me in goal as a Wildcat fan.

    Lake State has gone through a 6-game winless streak, including being embarrassed at home by Michigan. Scoring can be a problem, but when it comes, it comes from many sources.

    Based on watching NMU's last series, I'd give the Wildcats the edge this weekend, though a split is likely.

    I encourage all Wildcat fans to make the trip. The arena needs something to help fill it. Plus they have good big cookies.
    This sums it up pretty well. Northern is the more talented team of the two. It will take a full 60 minute effort for the Lakers to pull out a win this weekend.

    Wilson was playing the best he has played all year before he was hurt on Friday night as he had only given up 3 goals in his last 3 games.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Soo
    Posts
    665

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by nmu_27 View Post
    The two teams I've seen the most this year face off. Also, possibly my only chance to see the Wildcats play in-person.

    BMW was hurt on Friday and did not play Saturday. I've heard he should be good to go, but a goalie that isn't at 100% is not good. Inglis doesn't scare me in goal as a Wildcat fan.

    Lake State has gone through a 6-game winless streak, including being embarrassed at home by Michigan. Scoring can be a problem, but when it comes, it comes from many sources.

    Based on watching NMU's last series, I'd give the Wildcats the edge this weekend, though a split is likely.

    I encourage all Wildcat fans to make the trip. The arena needs something to help fill it. Plus they have good big cookies.
    ...lest we forget Northern went through a stretch where they lost 5 of 6 including one to Michigan Tech and being embarassed at home by Bemidji

  12. #12
    Sieve Boy!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Posts
    5,104

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    ...lest we forget Northern went through a stretch where they lost 5 of 6 including one to Michigan Tech and being embarassed at home by Bemidji
    Oh yes, embarrassed by possibly the best team in College Hockey. Its not like we lost to Michigan at home, who is battling Western/Bowling Green for last in the CCHA.
    Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

    Born a Black Bear
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

    A NMU Wildcat for Life
    1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

    NMU Hockey
    2006-2007: 15-24-2
    2007-2008: 20-20-4
    2008-2009: 18-16-5


    1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

  13. #13
    Crazy Kowalski
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Sault Ste. Marie, MI
    Posts
    7,286

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    ...lest we forget Northern went through a stretch where they lost 5 of 6 including one to Michigan Tech and being embarassed at home by Bemidji
    Probably a bit one-sided, I admit.

    Both teams have gone through some rough patches and have come back to play good hockey.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Soo
    Posts
    665

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by NMU8405 View Post
    Oh yes, embarrassed by possibly the best team in College Hockey. Its not like we lost to Michigan at home, who is battling Western/Bowling Green for last in the CCHA.
    Haha apparently i touched a nerve...1. I wasn't necessarily making fun of NMU, just pointing out that the post was a little one sided which even the author has graciously acknowledged ( thanks nmu 27, your a top notch poster in my book). 2. Bemidji State is FAR from the best team in college hockey...they beat Miami by one goal but that is their only win against a ranked opponent, their schedule is way too weak to be in that conversation. 3. Michigan is "battling for last" right now because they've played 2 less games than everyone else in the league except Ferris. It is mathematically possible for them to jump up to 6th place after this weekend alone. Also, Michigan still has more talent than just about any other team in the CCHA with the exception of Miami and maybe ND, they are too good to not turn it around....they just had a rough start to their season; you of all people should know how that goes.

  15. #15
    Wildcat in Bulldog-land nmupiccdiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Duluth, MN
    Posts
    12,304

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    Haha apparently i touched a nerve...1. I wasn't necessarily making fun of NMU, just pointing out that the post was a little one sided which even the author has graciously acknowledged ( thanks nmu 27, your a top notch poster in my book). 2. Bemidji State is FAR from the best team in college hockey...they beat Miami by one goal but that is their only win against a ranked opponent, their schedule is way too weak to be in that conversation. 3. Michigan is "battling for last" right now because they've played 2 less games than everyone else in the league except Ferris. It is mathematically possible for them to jump up to 6th place after this weekend alone. Also, Michigan still has more talent than just about any other team in the CCHA with the exception of Miami and maybe ND, they are too good to not turn it around....they just had a rough start to their season; you of all people should know how that goes.
    Not to be argumentative here, but this says otherwise. True, their conference schedule isn't the strongest, but they're hanging in there against more competitive programs.

    And, yes, Michigan will probably turn it around, but right now it's just far too enjoyable watching them falter. Far too enjoyable.
    Always a Wildcat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Soo
    Posts
    665

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by nmupiccdiva View Post
    Not to be argumentative here, but this says otherwise. True, their conference schedule isn't the strongest, but they're hanging in there against more competitive programs.

    And, yes, Michigan will probably turn it around, but right now it's just far too enjoyable watching them falter. Far too enjoyable.
    Well i can't disagree with you on the Michigan issue, it is enjoyable and i give you credit for bringing up that ranking system on behalf of Bemidji....if the situation had been reversed i would have brought it up too lol and it pains me to say this but any ranking system that says my Lakers are better than the defending national champion is flawed in my opinion

  17. #17
    I fix fat people
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Posts
    1,800

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    I hope this thing with Olver is a benching for an off ice problem(that hopefully is resolved) rather than an injury. We probably would have won both games last weekend if he'd been playing.
    TECH STILL SUCKS!

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Gwinn, MI
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Think I might come over for Friday's game only. I never look forward to visiting Soo Tech and always look to leave town in a hurry. This time around I might stay the night and celebrate a Wildcat victory!!!

    NMU is battle tested and this weekend could be the turning point which launches them upward in the standings. At some point the boys will need to sweep a series on the road and start winning consistently at home. I just hope it begins this weekend and carries through New Years.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The Soo
    Posts
    665

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO View Post
    Think I might come over for Friday's game only. I never look forward to visiting Soo Tech and always look to leave town in a hurry. This time around I might stay the night and celebrate a Wildcat victory!!!

    NMU is battle tested and this weekend could be the turning point which launches them upward in the standings. At some point the boys will need to sweep a series on the road and start winning consistently at home. I just hope it begins this weekend and carries through New Years.
    I sincerely hope your team is counting their chickens before they're hatched as you seem to be, because if they are it and end up overlooking this weekend it will be a sorrow bus ride back to Marquette.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,860

    Re: The Battle for the Cappo Cup, pt 1: NMU @ LSSU

    Quote Originally Posted by AnchorsAway View Post
    it pains me to say this but any ranking system that says my Lakers are better than the defending national champion is flawed in my opinion
    Boston University is 4-8-3 right now. The fact they won the NCAA championship last year should not and does not have any effect on where they are ranked right now. They deserve to be ranked where they are because they have not done very well to start this year.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •