Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2010 Frozen Four - Detroit - Fans Helping Fans Travel Guide

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
    There are some very fun places in "Midtown" Detroit. It is a very eclectic and diverse area that is loaded with young professionals and med students. I lived there for a year between stays at various places downtown. Check out "Union Street" on Woodward @ Alexandrine. They have some of the best food in the city and a great selection of Michigan made beers. Also "Majestic" is a nice bar, and "Atlas Global Bistro" is nice as well. If you are interested in a "real Detroit bar" wander over to "The Bronx" or my all-time favorite bar "Jumbos". There are a whole ton of gems in Midtown...the most important rule in Detroit is to not judge a place by the way it looks from the outside. 93% of crime victims in Detroit know their assailant...so ignore those people that tell you it's not safe around here. Just mind your business and you will find that the people here are very friendly and will welcome you appropriately.

As for the rink at campus martius...I got that information that it was closing at the regular mid-march date from the security guard while I was out walking my dog a couple weeks ago. For all I know he was just assuming. I will talk to someone I know at the Detroit 300 Conservancy and see what additional information I can get.
    I agree with the bar info 100%, there are plenty of places to go and I am not afraid of walking at all.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

If you like barbecue then put Slow's on your list. It's down Michigan Ave about a block west of the torn down Tiger Stadium. The wait, if there is one is worth it. Plenty of parking close by.
      He is as cool as a bomb disposal technician!

Comment

Originally posted by sqeyes View Post
        If you like barbecue then put Slow's on your list. It's down Michigan Ave about a block west of the torn down Tiger Stadium. The wait, if there is one is worth it. Plenty of parking close by.
        There's going to be one hell of a wait if it's Tiger's opening weekend. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to hit up Slows FF weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by kdilks View Post
          There's going to be one hell of a wait if it's Tiger's opening weekend. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to hit up Slows FF weekend.
          Slows is the best BBQ I've ever had, not including my trip to Kansas City a few years ago. It's probably about a mile from Comerica Park/Ford Field/Theatre District, but as mentioned, WELL worth it.
          TECH STILL SUCKS!

Comment

I have confirmed that the skating rink at Campus Martius Park will NOT be open. The expense of keeping the ice in working condition is too much, and they need the grass back in place for the summer lunch concert series which begins in late April. There will however be an open skate event at Ford Field.

Campus Martius Park is an absolutely beautiful urban park. It was recently ranked one of the top 5 urban parks in America along with the likes of New York's Bryant Park. I highly suggest you take a little time to stop by the park at some point during your visit.
            Last edited by STATEdude3; 02-21-2010, 08:45 AM.
            MICHIGAN STATE
            1966:1986:2007

Comment

I am curious what interest there would be in a USCHO forum hockey game. There is a great 2 sheet arena less than a mile from downtown with great rates. I was thinking maybe we could play a East vs. West or CCHA vs. The Nation scrimmage if there is enough interest.

I know traveling with equipmet is a barrier for many,but for those driving it may be reasonable...just wanted to put the feelers out there.
              MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                As for the relative "safety" of Detroit- downtown is fine. Been there, walked all over downtown at 2am, and I've not had problems. Walking a half mile down Woodward to the game should not be an issue.
                But you do need to make sure you stay within a VERY strict definition of downtown. Just one block too far in any direction can lead you into a world of trouble. And DO NOT go anywhere near the People Mover, not only is it nearly useless, there is a reason the locals call it the "Mugger Mover".
                Bronco Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by STATEdude3 View Post
                  I am curious what interest there would be in a USCHO forum hockey game. There is a great 2 sheet arena less than a mile from downtown with great rates. I was thinking maybe we could play a East vs. West or CCHA vs. The Nation scrimmage if there is enough interest.

I know traveling with equipmet is a barrier for many,but for those driving it may be reasonable...just wanted to put the feelers out there.
                  There's a good chance that this is already being taken care of.

Link
                  I was told there would be no math...

Comment

Thank you! I'm shocked I missed that thread...
                    MICHIGAN STATE

Comment

bump so jmh can find it.

Comment

if Oakland Hills is a stretch... any UM students or alums want to take a guest out on your fine A.MacKenzie course?!?
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                          if Oakland Hills is a stretch... any UM students or alums want to take a guest out on your fine A.MacKenzie course?!?
                          Nice course, but we could easily have snow here in early April.

Comment

Originally posted by alnike View Post
                            Nice course, but we could easily have snow here in early April.
                            It's April in the D!! Most likely snow on Thursday, rain on Friday and I dunno hail on Saturday.

Comment

"could"... But also could not have snow!

Geez, what's with all the glass half empty attitudes here?!?!?
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                                "could"... But also could not have snow!

Geez, what's with all the glass half empty attitudes here?!?!?
                                There's a glass? It is Detroit we are talking about here.
                                Last edited by MUhawks628; 03-02-2010, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X