Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota State at Alaska-Anchorage November 20-21, 2009

Originally posted by hop-less View Post
    I'm pretty sure you're a moron. Don't you remember when Palin presented UAA the governors cup 3 years ago?
    I'm pretty sure sarcasm is a new word to you. Congrats on this sudden expansion of your vocabulary.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
      Of course he remembers, but as a _airbanks fan, he's trying hard to forget.
      I've suppressed that memory with that of the ocean crashing onto a Maui beach framed with palm trees and hula dancers. It's a happy place.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
        Not much smack talk for two teams who are "rivals"
        That's why I was hoping they'd swap Mankato and UNO for next year's pairings but alas that didn't come to be.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          I've suppressed that memory with that of the ocean crashing onto a Maui beach framed with palm trees and hula dancers. It's a happy place.
          That must be nice...
          *****http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2463/palincup.jpg******
          I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Can we actually sweep Mankato? So far we have proven to be all over the board with our play. What about Mav's play so far this year? If your similar to us then it could be an exciting series. Who is your goal scoring coming from, who would you like to see scoring from and who is your goalie? Oh and who is that bimbo in the picture directly below/above this? Oh never mind it's the pre-Republican Palin...today she would have cash falling out of her pockets cause she quit her job to fight...she's a fighting quitter.
            Last edited by Hal9K; 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM.
            If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
              That's why I was hoping they'd swap Mankato and UNO for next year's pairings but alas that didn't come to be.
              So were most of us....UNO would be the ideal rivalry pairing for us.
              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post
                So were most of us....UNO would be the ideal rivalry pairing for us.
                Only ideal because their nickname is the Mavericks too... Otherwise, I don't think too many people in Mankato really give a hoot about hockey in Omaha.

The following teams would (and do) prove better rivals for Minnesota State University:

University of Minnesota
                Saint Cloud State University
                U of Minnesota - Duluth
                Bemidji State University
                "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month."
                - Herb Brooks (1937-2003)

Minnesota State University. "You Betcha"!

Comment

Originally posted by CavalryNate View Post
                  Only ideal because their nickname is the Mavericks too...
                  I don't know? I disagree. I think it is a good rivalry for many reasons:

1) Our D-II teams fight it out regularly
                  2) The trip down Highway 60 into Iowa to I-29 is easily done in a day*
                  3) MSU should have picked up the phone and called Blais to be our coach 2 years ago. In seeing the Red Mavs via a "rivalry," the fine folks in Mankato can be reminded how a real D-I hockey coach does it.

*True, the trip up US 169 and MN 15 is shorter, but there is literally zero traffic down MN60/IA60 and I-29. I think--without checking on Google Maps--UMD and BSU are probably about even in miles/time.

All that aside, UAA is probably going to be the best rivalry moving forward with MSU, in conjunction with MTU, because the WCHA at 12 teams is going to familiarize all 3 of us with 10, 11 and 12 in the standings.
                  Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
                  Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Originally posted by redheadzeb View Post
                    In seeing the Red Mavs via a "rivalry," the fine folks in Mankato can be reminded how a real D-I hockey coach does it.
                    He does it roughly 20 times more expensively.

UNO as a rival makes the most sense for both schools. St. Cloud is probably the only other WCHA team that is worth considering as a rival for MSU. The others don't make as much sense. But let's be honest, there's definitely advantages to four games every year against a team that is guaranteed to have a losing record.
                    Originally posted by dicaslover
                    Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                    Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by redheadzeb View Post
                      All that aside, UAA is probably going to be the best rivalry moving forward with MSU, in conjunction with MTU, because the WCHA at 12 teams is going to familiarize all 3 of us with 10, 11 and 12 in the standings.
                      I seriously doubt Bemidji's ability to be better than any of the 3 of us in the long term.
                      I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                        I seriously doubt Bemidji's ability to be better than any of the 3 of us in the long term.
                        Fair enough, I'll agree that depends on what your exact time frame for "long term" is.

In the near term, Bemidji's recent trip to [and performance in] the Frozen Four in conjunction with their location in Minnesota will provide them a great recruiting advantage. I can't speak for Shyiak and your opinion of him, but I do have the strong belief that Serratore > Jutting. To be clear, that goes for much more than just recruiting... And I don't want to start a "location war," either, but consideration has to be made there as well.

EDIT: For the record, I think Alaska is a wonderful location. I have never been there, but I have relatives that live in Cordova--I've heard the testemony and seen the pictures. I sincerely want to get up there when my finances and schedule allow.
                        Last edited by redheadzeb; 11-18-2009, 11:51 PM.
                        Alumni of Minnesota State University, Mankato.
                        Let's Go Mavs!

Comment

Originally posted by CavalryNate View Post
                          Only ideal because their nickname is the Mavericks too... Otherwise, I don't think too many people in Mankato really give a hoot about hockey in Omaha.

The following teams would (and do) prove better rivals for Minnesota State University:

University of Minnesota
                          Saint Cloud State University
                          U of Minnesota - Duluth
                          Bemidji State University
                          MSU-M and UNO are a great rivalry candidate. They've got history, they're not that far (I know that it makes more sense to UNO than MSU-M, but it goes both ways there). And as for the teams that you wanted:

1. MN would NEVER agree to pair with Mankato. EVER. Not even if they won 3 NC's in a row.
                          2. St. Cloud would next to never agree. They're happy with UND, thank you.
                          3. UMD.... meh, not likely
                          4. BSU they're happy to be in the league, and they'll pair with Huntsville if you ask, nay, tell them to.
                          tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                            Seen as you brought it up………… The dude at the _airbanks mental health clinic that has been swamped ever since last governor’s cup….. Well I assume he’s a dude...Said that’s what most of the locals admit to. But what they really dream is. Dumpster lids crashing down in the snow in a windy, ice and snow covered mall shopping area surrounded with light poles behind the chain link fence the lights are on as soon as it gets dark, and with a bunch of drunken buddy’s shopping. And "the mall" is loaded with stuff. That’s a Happy Place
                            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              MSU-M and UNO are a great rivalry candidate. They've got history, they're not that far (I know that it makes more sense to UNO than MSU-M, but it goes both ways there). And as for the teams that you wanted:

1. MN would NEVER agree to pair with Mankato. EVER. Not even if they won 3 NC's in a row.
                              2. St. Cloud would next to never agree. They're happy with UND, thank you.
                              3. UMD.... meh, not likely
                              4. BSU they're happy to be in the league, and they'll pair with Huntsville if you ask, nay, tell them to.
                              That's pretty much right on. UNO to me makes the most sense and SCSU right after that. UNO is our rival in every other sport. Hockey would only intensify it. As for SCSU, it makes sense due to our other rivalries. It would be stupid of them to give up their tie to UND though. It won't happen, but would be a good rivalry over time.
                              Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

This is a Mankato vs. UAA thread this weekend. Who cares about rivals, we just want some teams we can beat...
                                So UAA sweeps and moves up.
                                If I had a cool pic or saying it would go here.

Comment

Working...
                                X