Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arena organs in college hockey?

Arena organs in college hockey?

I realize that most college hockey arenas utilize bands and piped-in recorded music primarily, but I was wondering if there any arenas out there that still have a live organist or use piped in organ music? You still hear these in pro hockey arenas quite a bit, but my guess is that it's pretty rare in college arenas, if at all.

Denver had an organ into the 1990s, but no longer does....Do any of your rinks use one for games?

Re: Arena organs in college hockey?

We have an organ on Thunder Island. Sometimes Dennis Douda plays it during intermission.

Industry Standard

Quote Originally Posted by jay ferguson View Post
    We have an organ on Thunder Island. Sometimes Dennis Douda plays it during intermission.
    Slow clap.
    And if we die, before the battle's through, tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.

Smile Re: Arena organs in college hockey?

UND has one and it gets played about once a year. What a waste.
    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
    Hollywood Amazingness

It looks like Michigan Tech just retired theirs.

Union '01

Union doesn't have one, nor do I think Messa has room for one but I would love it if they managed to put one in.
    National Champions 2014!
    Cleary Cup Champions 2011, 2012, 2014, 2017!
    Whitelaw Cup Champions 2012, 2013, 2014!!!
    Let's Go U!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iroy View Post
    The recent addition of suites required it to be removed from the arena. Tech gave the organ to a repairman who removed it from the arena for free (a process that would normally cost a couple thousand I'm told).

I'm kinda disappointed I never got to hear it...

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazypotatoes View Post
    The recent addition of suites required it to be removed from the arena. Tech gave the organ to a repairman who removed it from the arena for free (a process that would normally cost a couple thousand I'm told).

As far as hockey goes, I believe it was last used during the home series with Bemidji in January 07, when the pep band was unavailable due to the semester break.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by iroy View Post
    Great find. Thanks.

Pedaling past you in your car

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    I didn't even realize that they used it.
    Up close it's a pretty cool looking organ, but yeah, they should really use it.
    I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

can you imagine the MTU PK Ditty on an organ? *shudder*

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Bob is making me nervous

I've never displayed my organ in any hockey arena.

He fixes the cable?

******** width="425" height="344">******* name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/YgstiIdgcxg&hl=en&fs=1&">******* name="allowFullScreen" value="true">******* name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">******* src="https://www.youtube.com/v/YgstiIdgcxg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">
    the state of hockey is good

soldier of fortune
    350 miles southwest of a dirty copper mine

It's kind of a shame to have pipe organs that can't, or won't, be used. The traditionally made ones are very sensitive to the leather drying out and cracking seals and valves when they're used infrequently. That's why Tech's organ was in poor repair, the thing was almost never used because we almost always had a pep band at games, and an organist wasn't consistently available when the band wasn't home. I do hope that they install an electronic organ in MacInnes, hopefully with the console and speakers by the band - "Gimme Some Lovin'" sounds so much better with that classic organ sound.

As for other arenas, there's still the problem of not having a trained organist. It's so much easier to hit play on a CD of Black Betty something by System of a Down than to actually perform them. I suspect there's pianists at any campus that are also hockey fans though, and it would be awesome for the oldest barns in particular to have that sort of live music... even just once or twice a period.

EDIT: Jon: it's been done. The horror.
    Augsburg College: Wait, there's another D-3 school whose name starts with "A"?

Originally posted by The Darkness:
    I don't see you asking Beer Pong Horn if he practices a religion from the beer continent.

Originally posted by bigblue_dl:
    Wow. Tech fans are such a-holes. I think I saw Beer Pong Horn kick a blind puppy once.

Boosh Factor (6-27-12): Summer Vacation

Here is 'Lady of Spain' in its full glory....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f54YcsOSTDU

Sunny Southern California the Golden State of Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
    https://www.pbase.com/mmingo/image/72706281

The organ a 1926 Mortier dance hall player from Belgium, is behind the Club bar at one end of the rink and is played pre-game and during tours of the arena. It plays Wagner and Tchaikovsky. Most fans don't even know that the music they are listening to prior to the start of the game is from the organ. It operates like the antique player pianos where a scroll is inserted and it plays music. Don't think it is ever actually played by an organist.
    Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 10-14-2009 at 06:29 PM.
    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Quote Originally Posted by Puck Swami View Post
    I realize that most college hockey arenas utilize bands and piped-in recorded music primarily, but I was wondering if there any arenas out there that still have a live organist or use piped in organ music? You still hear these in pro hockey arenas quite a bit, but my guess is that it's pretty rare in college arenas, if at all.

Denver had an organ into the 1990s, but no longer does....Do any of your rinks use one for games?
    We have never had an organ at Lowell. Tully Forum back in the day was a glorified High School rink and Tsongas Arena tries to be a pro rink.

I must say that the Lowell band does an excellent rendition of "Final Countdown" by Europe before each game.

The Boston Garden pipes in the organ music but I don't think they played anything during the Hockey East Finals in March.
    Let's go Lowell.

Still upright

Quote Originally Posted by crazypotatoes View Post

I know someone who is in the business of reconditioning old organs. He would love to have it I'm sure.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Has Anger Issues FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    I know someone who is in the business of reconditioning old organs. He would love to have it I'm sure.
    I believe a company in Grand Rapids took it for refurb, and eventually hopes to sell it back to a church or someone who can play it/take care of it on a regular basis.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

I think at least one rink in the ECAC has one - I remember other members of the RPI pep band mentioning a road trip to an arena with an organ, but I missed the trip for some reason and can't remember where it was. I want to say it might've been Princeton, but I'm not positive... if it was, they didn't use it the one time I did make it there (December 2007, I think).
    RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Thread Information