Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arena organs in college hockey?

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
    UND has one and it gets played about once a year. What a waste.
    http://www.pbase.com/mmingo/image/72706281

The organ a 1926 Mortier dance hall player from Belgium, is behind the Club bar at one end of the rink and is played pre-game and during tours of the arena. It plays Wagner and Tchaikovsky. Most fans don't even know that the music they are listening to prior to the start of the game is from the organ. It operates like the antique player pianos where a scroll is inserted and it plays music. Don't think it is ever actually played by an organist.
    Last edited by SoCalSiouxFan; 10-14-2009, 06:29 PM.
    "For me, college hockey was obviously the best step I could have taken to get to the next level." - Jonathan Toews, North Dakota/Chicago Blackhawks

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      I realize that most college hockey arenas utilize bands and piped-in recorded music primarily, but I was wondering if there any arenas out there that still have a live organist or use piped in organ music? You still hear these in pro hockey arenas quite a bit, but my guess is that it's pretty rare in college arenas, if at all.

Denver had an organ into the 1990s, but no longer does....Do any of your rinks use one for games?
      We have never had an organ at Lowell. Tully Forum back in the day was a glorified High School rink and Tsongas Arena tries to be a pro rink.

I must say that the Lowell band does an excellent rendition of "Final Countdown" by Europe before each game.

The Boston Garden pipes in the organ music but I don't think they played anything during the Hockey East Finals in March.
      Let's go Lowell.

Comment

Originally posted by crazypotatoes View Post
        The recent addition of suites required it to be removed from the arena. Tech gave the organ to a repairman who removed it from the arena for free (a process that would normally cost a couple thousand I'm told).

I'm kinda disappointed I never got to hear it...

I know someone who is in the business of reconditioning old organs. He would love to have it I'm sure.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          I know someone who is in the business of reconditioning old organs. He would love to have it I'm sure.
          I believe a company in Grand Rapids took it for refurb, and eventually hopes to sell it back to a church or someone who can play it/take care of it on a regular basis.

Comment

I think at least one rink in the ECAC has one - I remember other members of the RPI pep band mentioning a road trip to an arena with an organ, but I missed the trip for some reason and can't remember where it was. I want to say it might've been Princeton, but I'm not positive... if it was, they didn't use it the one time I did make it there (December 2007, I think).
            RPI '08, UW '09. Let's go RED!

Comment

Organs are great in both hockey and the baseball. College, not a lot of organs. Pep bands fill that void. Quite a few pep band are zany and can be extremely entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by tic tac toe View Post
                Organs are great in both hockey and the baseball. College, not a lot of organs. Pep bands fill that void. Quite a few pep band are zany and can be extremely entertaining.
                Point in case:

*****http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/pics/Miscellaneous/Organ1.jpg******
                *****http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/pics/Miscellaneous/Organ2.jpg******
                *****http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/pics/Miscellaneous/Organ3.jpg******

Comment

ND plays organ music over the sound system, particularly when the pep band isn't there.
                  Northeastern Huskies Class of 1998 / BS Chemical Engineering
                  Notre Dame Fighting Irish Class of 2011 / PhD Chemical Engineering

But then again, isn't holding forth on an extreme opinion from a position of complete ignorance what these boards are all about? -- from a BigSoccer post by kerrunch

Britney can't sing. At all. She sounds like a cross between a crackhead chipmunk that had more than a couple beers and a drowning cat. -- DHG on the MTV VMAs

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchops View Post
                    Point in case:

*****http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/pics/Miscellaneous/Organ1.jpg******
                    *****http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/pics/Miscellaneous/Organ2.jpg******
                    *****http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/pics/Miscellaneous/Organ3.jpg******
                    That's exactly the pep band road trip I was mentioning earlier. Judging by the people in the photos (a couple of whom I recognize), it was longer ago than I thought. That was at Princeton though, right? Or am I getting that confused with another trip?

Comment

Originally posted by GoDanGo View Post
                      That's exactly the pep band road trip I was mentioning earlier. Judging by the people in the photos (a couple of whom I recognize), it was longer ago than I thought. That was at Princeton though, right? Or am I getting that confused with another trip?
                      It may have been Princeton, but I thought it was Yale.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchops View Post
                        It may have been Princeton, but I thought it was Yale.
                        Ah. There's a good chance you're right on this one, having been around the band longer than me.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          I realize that most college hockey arenas utilize bands and piped-in recorded music primarily, but I was wondering if there any arenas out there that still have a live organist or use piped in organ music? You still hear these in pro hockey arenas quite a bit, but my guess is that it's pretty rare in college arenas, if at all.

Denver had an organ into the 1990s, but no longer does....Do any of your rinks use one for games?
                          Bands are way better anyway...
                          The Quest For 7

Comment

I play keyboard at RMU...Well... it's a laptop keyboard, with organ clip sound bites

Does that count?

Seriously, I love using the organ music at the barn. I use it mixed with regular "hockey music". The RMU Pep Band only makes it to a handful of games each year.
                            Friends don't let friends go to PITT.

Save on GAS... BAN NASCAR

Comment

Originally posted by GoDanGo View Post
                              I think at least one rink in the ECAC has one - I remember other members of the RPI pep band mentioning a road trip to an arena with an organ, but I missed the trip for some reason and can't remember where it was. I want to say it might've been Princeton, but I'm not positive... if it was, they didn't use it the one time I did make it there (December 2007, I think).
                              I think Yale has one, possibly Colgate as well?

Comment

Originally posted by uwbadgers14 View Post
                                Bands are way better anyway...
                                I agree.

Here's my order:

1. Pep Band
                                2. Pep Band
                                500. Pep Band
                                501. Organ
                                502. Silence
                                503. Piped-in Stadium Pop Music