• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alaska Nanooks, 2009-10 Season Thread – Shovel Ready

News Miner articles on last night's win and all-tournament team:

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/oct/1...goal-rush-***/

http://newsminer.com/news/2009/oct/1...goal-rush-***/
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Methodical View Post
      I mentioned this last year but my dreams didn't come true.

With three alaska trophies now, and with the second game of the governors cup being in fairbanks, an opportunity exists for the nooks to hoist all three trophies after the second game.

It would be historic.

The seapuppies have already lost this opportunity, but they can ruin the dream for the nooks, and try for themselves next year. I believe this would be bigger than the governor's cup itself.

We need a name for this objective of both teams. Better than "trifecta of trophies". As anchorage fans I'm sure would like to see this come to fruition for their own team, we should come up with mutually agreed on nomenclature, a name that appropriately represents this level of excellence.

In my mind, the important part is that this event must be all three on the ice at once, not just winning all three, but to play the second game of the governors cup on home ice and so be able to hoist them at home for all fans to see. Away counts of course, but it's not as significant as being able to do in front of fans singing the traditional chant (we got the cup).

My nominations are... thinking here.....

1. Alaska Hat-Trick
      2. uhhh thats all i got. throw up some more.
      According to the Nanook hockey blog, there is talk of using the results in the Kendall and Brice tournaments to help determine the winner of the Governor's Cup. If true, then you might get your wish in a roundabout way.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
        According to the Nanook hockey blog, there is talk of using the results in the Kendall and Brice tournaments to help determine the winner of the Governor's Cup. If true, then you might get your wish in a roundabout way.
        You wish.
        Originally Posted by aparch
        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

That would be a terrible idea IMHO. Makes no sense. The less made of “winning” either of these tourneys the better.

They are a great benefit in helping all involved prepare for conference play, but win/loss, goal differential, or whatever means absolutely nothing right now. Means less than nothing for the Governor’s Cups. When the time comes, the better team on the ice should prevail, C-Woofs or Nooks.

This should probably be in the Brice Goal Rush Tourney thread, but thanks to both RMU an RPI for a great weekend of hockey. Safe travels and good luck in your seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
            You wish.
            Geez, are you still sore about losing to RMU and your eleventy billion penalties over the weekend? I was responding to Methodical, not making a statement of my own wishes.

I agree with mmf, having non head-to-head games count for the Governor's Cup doesn't make any sense.

Comment

I too should chime in with my disagreement to this concept. I don't want the governor's cup to be tied to the two tournaments, but I do think that winning all three deserves some kind of special recognition.

The Governor's cup should be decided only by games between fairbanks and anchorage. Thats what makes it special, and it should stay that way.
              The Alaska Airlines Governors cup is where it belongs.

Comment

'Nooks are now #13 in the ESPN/INCH poll, #15 in the USCHO poll, and not ranked but receiving votes in the USA Today poll. It's nice to see so much early season recognition, although I'd rather be in the top 16 at the end of the season.

Comment

Since we're in a bye week, I thought I'd throw this out for discussion:

INCH echoed ADN columnist Doyle Woody in questioning whether Dion Knelsen really deserved to be named MVP of the Brice Goal Rush, given that he was -3 and earned just 1 point in regular play.

Neither INCH nor Woody saw the tournament. (I didn't either.) I know Dion generally does a lot of valuable things that don't show up as points. I also hate the fact that a skater's "value" tends to be measured solely in terms of goals/assists. (How often is a defenseman named a tournament's MVP?)

So I agree that scoring the winning goal can be overrated by those who vote for such things. That's what INCH and Woody say happened.

What do you eyewitnesses say? Was Dion a valid choice? Was someone else as worthy? Are there unsung heroes among the Nanooks?

(By the way, Woody also thought that Ron Meyers should have been named to the all-tournament team for the Kendall Classic.)

Comment

Anchorage's Clark had a 5 point weekend.

Comment

Going by points, Dion shouldn't have been named MVP. Going by everything else he brings (and does); he should win it every game. He plays on the PP and PK. He is more to this team than points. He forces turn over’s, wins face offs, puts pressure on the puck with his speed (D zone), owns the offensive zone, and always wins puck battles at both ends of the ice. He had MULTIPLE scoring chances in both games, and RMU had no idea what to do with him. It's hard to score all the time when the other team’s game plan is to mostly stop him. I've seen him being double teamed. Overall, he is invaluable to this team (his passing is phenomenal). I believe UAA’s assistant coach said he is the most complete player they will see this year. I do think Greenham should have been the MVP though. Dion basically said that in the press conference.
                      All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post

INCH echoed ADN columnist Doyle Woody in questioning whether Dion Knelsen really deserved to be named MVP of the Brice Goal Rush, given that he was -3 and earned just 1 point in regular play.

Neither INCH nor Woody saw the tournament. (I didn't either.) I know Dion generally does a lot of valuable things that don't show up as points. I also hate the fact that a skater's "value" tends to be measured solely in terms of goals/assists. (How often is a defenseman named a tournament's MVP?)

So I agree that scoring the winning goal can be overrated by those who vote for such things. That's what INCH and Woody say happened.

What do you eyewitnesses say? Was Dion a valid choice? Was someone else as worthy? Are there unsung heroes among the Nanooks?

(By the way, Woody also thought that Ron Meyers should have been named to the all-tournament team for the Kendall Classic.)
                        Ron Meyers was impressive last year.............................................. .......so far he has been more impressive this year!
                        All that was left, then, was for the Nanooks to celebrate with their fans. And for the Seawolves to get one last earful of the rowdies from Fairbanks.

"I've got a lot of expletives I'd like to use,'' Fournier said, slumped in his locker room stall. "It's very embarrassing when you're playing on your home ice and they have more fans and they're louder.

"We might as well have played the games in Fairbanks.''

Comment

Originally posted by Wondering View Post

Against RMU he was incredible, the time he came into the offensive zone against two players and went between his legs with the puck to keep control while his team did a complete line change was sick, and how do you give him points for that? He was the best player on the ice all weekend and everyone who watched those games in person had to admit it. Woody is an idiot, who only looks at stats, if he were there in person he would have picked Dion.

Comment

Not the most current news, but this month Kyle Greentree was traded from the AHL's Quad City Flames (feeds into Calgary Flames) to the Rockford IceHogs (feeds into the Chicago Blackhawks). Jordan Hendry is playing for the Blackhawks, so maybe he and Greentree will be reunited at some point.

Comment

We’re fortunate to come away with the sweep this weekend. Both teams played solid hockey. The Nooks controlled play in the first period Saturday night, and then it was pretty even up from there. When we made mistakes Greenham was there.

Meyers stripping the Bulldog’s big d-man from behind with 15 seconds left in OT, and then finishing off with a quality top shelf wrister is you-tube type stuff.

This team is enjoyable to watch. Our bread and butter is still defense and goaltending, but it looks like we are trying to open up the offense a little. I think we show promise, even if our only even strength goals this weekend were the empty netter Friday night and Meyer’s unassisted highlite reel effort Saturday night.

Next week we host Notre Dame, which will be another strong test. I expect two close, low scoring games. I hope our early season success starts to be reflected in the crowds. Tough to judge crowds this past weekend given the flu bug that’s been hitting everybody and Halloween.

Go Nooks!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpJYdj3nPPw

Comment

Working...
                                X