Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 1002

Thread: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

  1. #261
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    72,914

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Block the evidence; then rule there is insufficient evidence.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  2. #262
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,847

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Block the evidence; then rule there is insufficient evidence.
    I think they have a case for arguing against new witnesses. They, however, do not have a case for blocking the evidence already collected.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

  3. #263
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    72,914

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I think they have a case for arguing against new witnesses. They, however, do not have a case for blocking the evidence already collected.
    Nor do they have a case for disqualifying as "new" people who were blocked by the White House from testifying before the House.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  4. #264
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pluteville
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Something bigger is going on here because this isn't a good look. Acquittal is a done deal no matter what so Itch's primary concern is protecting his Senate majority. Conducting a sham trial against the wishes of the vast majority of the public (~70%) who want witnesses and evidence presented doesn't help Gardner, Collins, McSally, Tillis, etc - it does the opposite.

    So, what's up? If I had to guess, it looks like the GOP Senate is trying to avoid witnesses at all costs, starting with Bolton who's kinda hard to paint as a liberal. They tried last week to float the "we'll call Hunter Biden" schtick, but when you think about it, who cares if they do? Dems will immediately counter with "lets hear from Rudy Giuliani then" and that's where all hell breaks loose.

    Instead the plan seems to be to stop the proceedings one step BEFORE the calling of witnesses, which is to say there's been no evidence presented to no need to call anybody. Illogical as all you know what, but if they've resorted to playing that card that means whatever Bolton's about to say is really, really damaging. So you take your pick, outrage over a show trial or outrage over ****ing public testimony? Seems like they've chosen the former.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  5. #265
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    43,772
    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    How about we wait to throw him in the volcano until after he convinces enough disgruntled republicans it's ok to vote against the GOP this election cycle?
    He won't do that...and even if he tried he couldn't do that. He is a worthless lying dinosaur.

  6. #266
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    44,706

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    what’s up with HIS HAIR?!?!?!?,

  7. #267
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    72,914

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Something bigger is going on here because this isn't a good look. Acquittal is a done deal no matter what so Itch's primary concern is protecting his Senate majority. Conducting a sham trial against the wishes of the vast majority of the public (~70%) who want witnesses and evidence presented doesn't help Gardner, Collins, McSally, Tillis, etc - it does the opposite.

    So, what's up? If I had to guess, it looks like the GOP Senate is trying to avoid witnesses at all costs, starting with Bolton who's kinda hard to paint as a liberal. They tried last week to float the "we'll call Hunter Biden" schtick, but when you think about it, who cares if they do? Dems will immediately counter with "lets hear from Rudy Giuliani then" and that's where all hell breaks loose.

    Instead the plan seems to be to stop the proceedings one step BEFORE the calling of witnesses, which is to say there's been no evidence presented to no need to call anybody. Illogical as all you know what, but if they've resorted to playing that card that means whatever Bolton's about to say is really, really damaging. So you take your pick, outrage over a show trial or outrage over ****ing public testimony? Seems like they've chosen the former.
    Last I heard they were going to put a kill switch in the rules where the defense could move for immediate dismissal at any time by simple majority.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-21-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  8. #268
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,847

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Something bigger is going on here because this isn't a good look. Acquittal is a done deal no matter what so Itch's primary concern is protecting his Senate majority. Conducting a sham trial against the wishes of the vast majority of the public (~70%) who want witnesses and evidence presented doesn't help Gardner, Collins, McSally, Tillis, etc - it does the opposite.

    So, what's up? If I had to guess, it looks like the GOP Senate is trying to avoid witnesses at all costs, starting with Bolton who's kinda hard to paint as a liberal. They tried last week to float the "we'll call Hunter Biden" schtick, but when you think about it, who cares if they do? Dems will immediately counter with "lets hear from Rudy Giuliani then" and that's where all hell breaks loose.

    Instead the plan seems to be to stop the proceedings one step BEFORE the calling of witnesses, which is to say there's been no evidence presented to no need to call anybody. Illogical as all you know what, but if they've resorted to playing that card that means whatever Bolton's about to say is really, really damaging. So you take your pick, outrage over a show trial or outrage over ****ing public testimony? Seems like they've chosen the former.
    Again. I think they can prevent witnesses and have an argument. But, they're blocking evidence already in the record AND they're ignoring what is in the public domain (been reported since the impeachment was passed by the House).

    I don't see how they can get away with that.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

  9. #269
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,847

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Last I hear they were going to put a kill switch in the rules where the defense could move for immediate dismissal at any time by simple majority.
    That's still in there as far as I know.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

  10. #270
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pluteville
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    I say go for it. Impeachment and conviction has had staying power amongst the public. Chump's acquittal was always a given, so anything the Senate does directly that hurts Senators running for re-election is fine by me.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  11. #271
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    72,914

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Again. I think they can prevent witnesses and have an argument. But, they're blocking evidence already in the record AND they're ignoring what is in the public domain (been reported since the impeachment was passed by the House).

    I don't see how they can get away with that.
    The way they "get away with it" is:

    1. R Senators vote as a bloc Not Guilty without listening to a word.

    2. Fox and Hate Radio blare lies 24/7 to their orcs who hear nothing else.

    See also: everything else McConnell has gotten away with for the last 3 years.

    People keep acting like objective factual reality has its own gravity. It doesn't. Like sunlight, it can't get in if you block it off. The Fake World the Republicans have put together is even more stable than the real world because none of its premises ever change. Whereas reality is ever shifting, Republican World is a stone fortress. As such it's a far more comfortable place for the authoritarians and cowards of the right to live. It's unassailable, and from it they can smugly change the real facts of everyone's world with their actions. They've found a way to leverage reality without being caught up in the consequences. In principle there's nothing to stop them from doing it forever. It's far more effective than any previously attempted dictatorship because it appears to be completely democratic. It uses brainwashing instead of physical coercion, which is cheaper and doesn't leave bodies all over the place. It's kind of perfect.
    Last edited by Kepler; 01-21-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  12. #272
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,847

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    The way they "get away with it" is:

    1. R Senators vote as a bloc not guilty without listening to a word.

    2. Fox and hate Radio blare lies 24/7 to their orcs who hear nothing else.

    See also:everything McConnell has gotten away with for the last 3 years.
    I hope #1 happens and I hope it costs them even more than Arizona, Colorado, and Maine.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

  13. #273
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    72,914

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I hope #1 happens and I hope it costs them even more than Arizona, Colorado, and Maine.
    Welp, that's The Plan. "We replaced the democratic government of the country with a fascist tyranny. Let's see if anyone notices."
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  14. #274
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pluteville
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Odd when Kep is the pessimist and Scooby is the voice of reason.

    The GOP "gets away with it" when elections are held on their turf. That's not the case in 2020 for the Senate as they have to defend vulnerable incumbents in either Dem leaning (CO, ME) or swing states (AZ, NC). The best thing the GOP could do is agree to one witness: Bolton, and hope that he either screws the Dems with lackluster testimony or even if he does reveal or corroborate ****ing info they can try to spin it as "well, you know, treason isn't technically a crime" and hope for the best.

    Either way the point remains. If there was nothing to see, Itch would allow a full trial and laugh his arse off when nothing came of it. He's not putting his own Senators in a bad position for re-election for some marginal benefit to Chump. He's doing it because the alternative must be much, much worse.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  15. #275
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    44,706

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Gotta be wearing depends here (not just for people with bladder control problems).

  16. #276
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    72,914

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Odd when Kep is the pessimist and Scooby is the voice of reason.

    The GOP "gets away with it" when elections are held on their turf. That's not the case in 2020 for the Senate as they have to defend vulnerable incumbents in either Dem leaning (CO, ME) or swing states (AZ, NC). The best thing the GOP could do is agree to one witness: Bolton, and hope that he either screws the Dems with lackluster testimony or even if he does reveal or corroborate ****ing info they can try to spin it as "well, you know, treason isn't technically a crime" and hope for the best.

    Either way the point remains. If there was nothing to see, Itch would allow a full trial and laugh his arse off when nothing came of it. He's not putting his own Senators in a bad position for re-election for some marginal benefit to Chump. He's doing it because the alternative must be much, much worse.
    I think about all we can do is to keep saying, "yes, denying witnesses the chance to speak is exactly how an innocent man behaves." That resonates. Even the hopeless Dumpies at my work don't like that.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  17. #277
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pluteville
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    I think about all we can do is to keep saying, "yes, denying witnesses the chance to speak is exactly how an innocent man behaves." That resonates. Even the hopeless Dumpies at my work don't like that.
    I like using "Why don't you want to hear from John Bolton? Isn't he one of yours?"
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  18. #278
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    30,423

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    I'm curious as to what would happen if Trump gets re-elected but McConnell loses his seat.

  19. #279
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    72,914

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet View Post
    I'm curious as to what would happen if Trump gets re-elected but McConnell loses his seat.
    Unless we get 67, nothin.'
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  20. #280
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pluteville
    Posts
    17,186

    Re: POTUS: It Can Happen Here Again

    Looks like Itch had to cave a little...

    https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...rial-01-21-20/

    He's not doing this out of the kindness of his own heart...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •