Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Frozen Four to Vegas?

  1. #1
    It's A Great Day For Hockey
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Titletown, USA
    Posts
    4,394

    Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Sorry if this isn't new or has a thread.

    https://arenadigest.com/2020/01/06/l...en-four-pitch/

    With a case that includes experience in hosting large events and the use of T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas is planning a pitch to host a future Frozen Four.

    Home to the NHLís Vegas Golden Knights, T-Mobile Arena has experience in hosting college hockey events through the annual Fortress Invitational (formerly the Ice Vegas Invitational) tournament. The venue could be the setting for a Division I menís ice hockey Frozen Four in the coming years, as Las Vegas Events plans to submit a bid for the 2023-2026 cycle ahead of next monthís deadline.
    St. Norbert College Green Knights
    NCHA regular season champs: 97-99, 02-08, 10-12, 14, 16, 2019
    NCHA playoff champs: 98-99, 03-05, 07-08, 10-14, 17-18, 2019
    NCAA Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2018
    ---
    SNC women: 2013 O'Brien Cup Champions

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,242

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Quote Originally Posted by GB Puck Fan View Post
    Sorry if this isn't new or has a thread.

    https://arenadigest.com/2020/01/06/l...en-four-pitch/

    With a case that includes experience in hosting large events and the use of T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas is planning a pitch to host a future Frozen Four.

    Home to the NHL’s Vegas Golden Knights, T-Mobile Arena has experience in hosting college hockey events through the annual Fortress Invitational (formerly the Ice Vegas Invitational) tournament. The venue could be the setting for a Division I men’s ice hockey Frozen Four in the coming years, as Las Vegas Events plans to submit a bid for the 2023-2026 cycle ahead of next month’s deadline.
    I say go with all 4 new places as in Vegas, Nashville, Dallas, San Jose

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    15

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    I just got back from the Fortress Invitational. The T-Mobile Arena is a fantastic venue and I think Vegas would rock-it as a Frozen Four host. It is easy to get to from throughout the U.S. and there are more than enough hotel rooms.

    The NCAA really needs to consider ease of travel. While Buffalo was an easy-to-reach venue if you're from the Northeast (and you were willing to drive), it is a tough city to fly into if you reside in other parts of the country. The Frozen Four host cities should be large enough that travel to the city isn't an issue.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    North
    Posts
    188

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    I was at the first Fortress Invitational (or Vegas Ice Classic or whatever it was). Frozen four should be held in Vegas every year, IMO!!

    Lots of fun to be had, great arena, and would draw people in like crazy!!! Seems like a no brainer, who the hell wants to go to Detroit??

  5. #5
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    If we can't have Tampa every year, I'd be ok with Vegas once in a while. And yes to Nashville as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,759

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Make it happen

  7. #7
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    20,555

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Quote Originally Posted by LFofF View Post
    I just got back from the Fortress Invitational. The T-Mobile Arena is a fantastic venue and I think Vegas would rock-it as a Frozen Four host. It is easy to get to from throughout the U.S. and there are more than enough hotel rooms.

    The NCAA really needs to consider ease of travel. While Buffalo was an easy-to-reach venue if you're from the Northeast (and you were willing to drive), it is a tough city to fly into if you reside in other parts of the country. The Frozen Four host cities should be large enough that travel to the city isn't an issue.
    Second!

    San Jose would also be awesome.

    /I may be biased.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  8. #8
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    20,555

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    With one caveat being, what is the occupancy situation at that time in April? This past weekend worked well because I'm guessing the post-holiday weekend has a slight lull in people there. (Though with things heating up for CES later this week, maybe I'm overestimating that lull). Could spring breaks or people wanting to gamble on the Final Four cause prices to get pushed up?

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,759

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    San Jose? Meh. But I admit that I really have no idea how that would go. Just on the surface it wouldn't excite me personally. I just hope something was learned from last year's disaster. Even in strong hockey markets, it might not matter as much as we think. Everyone has raved about Tampa. If you turned this into a true destination trip (no offense Detroit) and had Tampa, Vegas and Nashville involved I think it's worth a shot. If it fails at least you tried it.

  10. #10
    All Hail
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    If we can't have Tampa every year, I'd be ok with Vegas once in a while. And yes to Nashville as well.
    Yes, Yes, and Yes!!
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Spicer, MN
    Posts
    17,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    If we can't have Tampa every year, I'd be ok with Vegas once in a while. And yes to Nashville as well.
    Give me both of those, please. Mix in St. Paul, Tampa, Boston, and call it good.

  12. #12
    not particularly bad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Yost ice arena
    Posts
    9,460

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Quote Originally Posted by MavHockey14 View Post
    Give me both of those, please. Mix in St. Paul, Tampa, Boston, and call it good.
    No. I've had enough St. Paul and enough Boston. Detroit every 10 years works for me. Tampa could be every other year and I'd go.

    Vegas would be fun. Nashville on occasion.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    If we can't have Tampa every year, I'd be ok with Vegas once in a while. And yes to Nashville as well.
    Since Nashville is now the long term host of the SEC BBall tourney, them hosting the hockey FF at Bridgestone Arena is less likely. That would be a lot of weekend dates for the Predators to give up in a short period of time.

    Iíd love to see it there, but the logistics make it difficult.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    San Jose? Meh. But I admit that I really have no idea how that would go. Just on the surface it wouldn't excite me personally. I just hope something was learned from last year's disaster. Even in strong hockey markets, it might not matter as much as we think. Everyone has raved about Tampa. If you turned this into a true destination trip (no offense Detroit) and had Tampa, Vegas and Nashville involved I think it's worth a shot. If it fails at least you tried it.
    When Tampa was announced the first time, there were a lot of complaints and criticism in this very forum. Tampa blew everyone away with their event!

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    14,759

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Oh no question there. It probably reminded people of Anaheim in '99. From what I remember, that didn't go very well. But at the same time, isn't Tampa far more enticing than San Jose?

  16. #16
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Quote Originally Posted by davyd83 View Post
    Since Nashville is now the long term host of the SEC BBall tourney, them hosting the hockey FF at Bridgestone Arena is less likely. That would be a lot of weekend dates for the Predators to give up in a short period of time.

    I’d love to see it there, but the logistics make it difficult.
    Didn't know that. Interesting. Some years perhaps the calendar will line up to make it easier for them to give it a go.

    The Preds need to use the facility in between as well, perhaps if there is a longer gap it could work or at least make it more feasible. I'd love to check out Nashville (and I would most definitely come home with some extra baggage courtesy of Gibson).

    I think the fact that the NCAA strips the ice/logos really makes it more annoying/difficult for these venues than anything else (plus it makes the ice terrible!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  17. #17
    Holding court
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    HOTel cORAL esSEX
    Posts
    5,942

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    But at the same time, isn't Tampa far more enticing than San Jose?
    Absolutely. I'm not sure about a western FF again. Your base of teams are east/Midwest mostly. You either run games at an odd time locally and suffer the consequences there (in an off-market to begin with) or you start the games at good local times (does that even help fill the building anyway!?) that are too late on the East Coast and somewhat late out in the Midwest. The FF is a bit unique with the possibility of marathon OT games thus requiring a good chunk of time between semis to account for that possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010 View Post
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

  18. #18
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    32,119

    Re: Frozen Four to Vegas?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
    No. I've had enough St. Paul and enough Boston. Detroit every 10 years works for me.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Marquette, MI
    Posts
    6,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    Didn't know that. Interesting. Some years perhaps the calendar will line up to make it easier for them to give it a go.

    The Preds need to use the facility in between as well, perhaps if there is a longer gap it could work or at least make it more feasible. I'd love to check out Nashville (and I would most definitely come home with some extra baggage courtesy of Gibson).

    I think the fact that the NCAA strips the ice/logos really makes it more annoying/difficult for these venues than anything else (plus it makes the ice terrible!).
    The Preds have 3 other buildings with ice.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •