Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

  1. #1
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,591

    Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    I don't do resolutions. Those are fickle things people start on January 1 and give up by January 5. Tell me what you really hope to accomplish in 2020. Here's my list:

    1. Restart my MSW in April along with an internship at Every Woman's Place in Muskegon. Denver's online program has been a blessing and I look to graduate in March 2022.

    2. Find a job in my field (psychology/social work/mental health). Got applications in already, and I'm hoping to get in with the state of Michigan as a Child and Protective Services Investigator.

    3. Finish writing my memoir and cookbook and send to a publisher by 12/31/2020.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  2. #2
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,373

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    I don't do resolutions. If there is something I want to do/change, why wait for a special day?

    That being said, my goal remains to learn SOMEthing new every day, and/or improve myself in some way every day.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,501

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I don't do resolutions. If there is something I want to do/change, why wait for a special day?
    This. I only do joking resolutions, such as liking more koala pictures on Facebook. If you want to improve your life, don't wait for an arbitrary day. Do it now (well, not NOW, because now it's a resolution ) If you wait for an arbitrary reason to start, you will use an arbitrary reason to quit.

    Taking a look back and resetting goals is different, and I think that is more what MT means. But the resolution thing always bugs me.

  4. #4
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,591

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post
    This. I only do joking resolutions, such as liking more koala pictures on Facebook. If you want to improve your life, don't wait for an arbitrary day. Do it now (well, not NOW, because now it's a resolution ) If you wait for an arbitrary reason to start, you will use an arbitrary reason to quit.

    Taking a look back and resetting goals is different, and I think that is more what MT means. But the resolution thing always bugs me.
    Yes, I am talking about resetting goals.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    I don't do resolutions. If there is something I want to do/change, why wait for a special day?

    That being said, my goal remains to learn SOMEthing new every day, and/or improve myself in some way every day.
    I’m with you. I’m going to continue to keep my old body in somewhat decent shape, continue to eat healthy, and be a better person today than I was yesterday

  6. #6
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    75,363

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    I'm feeling the itch to find something else for my career. I figure I have to work 18 more years of working. I started taking some classes online for a new skillset that enhances my current skill set. Hoping to finish those classes and training in 2020. If it works great. If it doesn't, I at least learned some new things.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,367

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I'm feeling the itch to find something else for my career. I figure I have to work 18 more years of working. I started taking some classes online for a new skillset that enhances my current skill set. Hoping to finish those classes and training in 2020. If it works great. If it doesn't, I at least learned some new things.
    Excellent

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,886
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I'm feeling the itch to find something else for my career. I figure I have to work 18 more years of working. I started taking some classes online for a new skillset that enhances my current skill set. Hoping to finish those classes and training in 2020. If it works great. If it doesn't, I at least learned some new things.
    I’m graduating with a masters this spring and looking forward to finding a new job myself.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,367

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post

    That being said, my goal remains to learn SOMEthing new every day, and/or improve myself in some way every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    I’m going to continue to keep my old body in somewhat decent shape, continue to eat healthy, and be a better person today than I was yesterday
    Those comments are admirable but seem too ambiguous to be effective. If you are serious about improving yourself, you need to first honestly assess areas you believe you need to improve. If necessary, with the help of someone like a spouse who knows you well and cares enough to be honest. Otherwise, if you are like me, you will probably not focus on those things that most need improving.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Those comments are admirable but seem too ambiguous to be effective. If you are serious about improving yourself, you need to first honestly assess areas you believe you need to improve. If necessary, with the help of someone like a spouse who knows you well and cares enough to be honest. Otherwise, if you are like me, you will probably not focus on those things that most need improving.
    I’m doing just fine and I’ve never had a New Years resolution. Everyday is a new day to improve from yesterday but I understand what you are saying

  11. #11
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,373

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    I’m doing just fine and I’ve never had a New Years resolution. Everyday is a new day to improve from yesterday but I understand what you are saying
    This.

    I could learn a useless fact, I could find a new way to do something, I could learn something about our world, I could find something out I never knew about myself. As long as I am growing in some way...to stay stagnant and just say "all is good, I'm good, I don't need to ask/explore anything more" is not healthy.

    Edit: to grow doesn't mean making major changes. A lot of little things add up.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #12
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,373

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    I'm feeling the itch to find something else for my career. I figure I have to work 18 more years of working. I started taking some classes online for a new skillset that enhances my current skill set. Hoping to finish those classes and training in 2020. If it works great. If it doesn't, I at least learned some new things.
    That is an attitude I wish more people had.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  13. #13
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,910

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    I do resolutions. Only because it’s a great time for a fresh start. I usually take the last two weeks of the year off so I can start fresh.

    1. Pause
    2. Leave work at work
    3. Get off the **** adult pacifier
    4. Do everything I can to support my fiancée in getting licensed

    2020 has the potential to be the most important year in my life after 2019. In 2019 I went through a very trying medical scare and later got engaged.

    In 2020 we're getting married, a honeymoon in Europe, and we’ve talked about maybe trying to start a family in late 2020. Outside of the family, there’s the most important election since the mid-1800s. This will be a defining year.

  14. #14
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    32,308
    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    I’m with you. I’m going to continue to keep my old body in somewhat decent shape, continue to eat healthy, and be a better person today than I was yesterday
    You have been through some rough physical times iirc and applaud your recovery efforts.

    But true reform comes from renouncing green and white.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,367

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    You have been through some rough physical times iirc and applaud your recovery efforts.

    But true reform comes from renouncing green and white.
    One may as well try to renounce gravity or the sun.

  16. #16
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,591

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    One extra thing I decided to start doing this year: dating. I figure with more apps becoming queer and trans friendly, I can give it a shot.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  17. #17
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,373

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    I do resolutions. Only because it’s a great time for a fresh start. I usually take the last two weeks of the year off so I can start fresh.

    1. Pause
    2. Leave work at work
    3. Get off the **** adult pacifier
    4. Do everything I can to support my fiancée in getting licensed

    2020 has the potential to be the most important year in my life after 2019. In 2019 I went through a very trying medical scare and later got engaged.

    In 2020 we're getting married, a honeymoon in Europe, and we’ve talked about maybe trying to start a family in late 2020. Outside of the family, there’s the most important election since the mid-1800s. This will be a defining year.
    Those are indeed some big-arse life changes. Both you and your fiancee are very intelligent, AND (probably just as important) calculated. You form a plan, expect a surprise or two, but are prepared for those surprises. Best wishes going forward!
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  18. #18
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,910

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Thanks Brent Hoven

  19. #19
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    120,373

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Thanks Brent Hoven
    That was kinda funny once we all figured it out.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  20. #20
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    30,910

    Re: Goals/Dreams/Aspirations for 2020

    Kinda? Lol

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •