Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 1001

Thread: Maine

  1. #201
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    56

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    I guess we all knew the good start would hit the wall, now we are on the Roller-Coaster ride the rest of the season(imo)...should be plain and simple that the Red Gendron era needs to end once the season gets done. As far as Jim Montgomery, who knows..? I mean I would in a heart beat say he's the recipe for Maine to begin a rebuild-retool and get Maine to be a solid Program again...but he has issues/baggage that most will not over look. In his case maybe some time off, get away from the game at any level would benefit him...take a full year off...BUT I would think/feel he's the type that can't and won't do that. I wish him all the best...and "IF" it happen that Maine would fired Gendron and bring in Montgomery...he would be where he belongs and at the same time give the Fan Base a shot in the arm that this Program is serious at changing the mindset and make hockey the key Program again...but we will see...and the rumors will swirl...101 Maine Sports. Most likely this will be better then what is in store for the rest of the season(???).
    Here's an idea: Bring Montgomery in next year as coach with P Kariya as his Assistant/Moral Guidance, Red retires/leaves a year early, Alfie and Guite stay on as assistants. Stephen King swoops in and pays Red out. We can dream can't we?

  2. #202
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    776

    Re: Maine

    With all this talk of Montgomery, Red, and the coaching future, I think it's important to define what our expectations are. What do you want out of the modern Maine hockey program? Do you expect a team consistently ranked in the Top 10, going routinely to Frozen Fours, and winning national championships? Is your expectation to usually be in the national tournament, and then in a good year win a game or two and make it to the Frozen Four? Do you think the team should be close to .500 most years, with good years creeping up to 20-25 wins and a tournament appearance and a bad year dipping to 10 or so wins? Or do you think the future of the program is to be stuck below .500, with a good season being at or a little above .500 and a Garden trip? Knowing what you want and expect will better set us up to react to the coaching hunt, whenever that comes.

  3. #203
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,795

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyj65 View Post
    Here's an idea: Bring Montgomery in next year as coach with P Kariya as his Assistant/Moral Guidance, Red retires/leaves a year early, Alfie and Guite stay on as assistants. Stephen King swoops in and pays Red out.
    I think you should be the AD.

  4. #204
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,795

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    With all this talk of Montgomery, Red, and the coaching future, I think it's important to define what our expectations are. What do you want out of the modern Maine hockey program? Do you expect a team consistently ranked in the Top 10, going routinely to Frozen Fours, and winning national championships? Is your expectation to usually be in the national tournament, and then in a good year win a game or two and make it to the Frozen Four? Do you think the team should be close to .500 most years, with good years creeping up to 20-25 wins and a tournament appearance and a bad year dipping to 10 or so wins? Or do you think the future of the program is to be stuck below .500, with a good season being at or a little above .500 and a Garden trip? Knowing what you want and expect will better set us up to react to the coaching hunt, whenever that comes.
    While Maine should aim high, I'd be satisfied -in this era of parity- with top 20 PWR pretty-much every year, an NCAA bid (say) every other year, and a deep run every so often.

    In a word: "relevance".

  5. #205
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    56

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I think you should be the AD.
    Optionally, to encourage the University, Montgomery could sweeten the pot and offer to work the first year for exactly $4212 as penance.

  6. #206
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,795

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyj65 View Post
    Optionally, to encourage the University, Montgomery could sweeten the pot and offer to work the first year for exactly $4212 as penance.
    You, sir, are a friggin' genius!

  7. #207
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by mickeyj65 View Post
    Optionally, to encourage the University, Montgomery could sweeten the pot and offer to work the first year for exactly $4212 as penance.
    Love it! I know itís far fetched but you have to think the university would be foolish to not at least reach to Monty. Iíve heard every rumor so far and I have no idea what he did. If it was infidelity, I can live with that, if it was drugs or alcohol related, I can live with that. All these people saying ďhe had a dui in his past!! No way we can hire him.Ē Have any of these people ever been to a game at the Alfond? Half of the arena is hammered and i can guarantee theyíre not getting ubers home.
    If it is something drug or alcohol related, we should embrace him and help him figure it out. This is the best player in Maine history, heís done more for this program than any player in history. If he wants a crack at Maine hockey, letís give him a go. The buzz would be back for sure and it would make for one hell of a movie. Hoosiers anyone? But still see it as a far fetched idea because of the moral high ground the university and some supporters stand on.

  8. #208
    UR▼ UncleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Hood
    Posts
    6,206

    Re: Maine

    The Allen's is flowing early today!
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

    And stay off the lawn!

  9. #209
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleRay View Post
    The Allen's is flowing early today!
    You best believe it! Iíve been smoking crack since dallas let Monty go I guess lol

  10. #210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,298

    Re: Maine

    Maine Hockey: HELP THE PROGRAM HAS FALLEN AND CAN'T GET BACK UP

  11. #211
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,795

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
    Love it! I know it’s far fetched but you have to think the university would be foolish to not at least reach to Monty. I’ve heard every rumor so far and I have no idea what he did. If it was infidelity, I can live with that, if it was drugs or alcohol related, I can live with that. All these people saying “he had a dui in his past!! No way we can hire him.” Have any of these people ever been to a game at the Alfond? Half of the arena is hammered and i can guarantee they’re not getting ubers home.
    This part is definitely a contender for POTY. Nice work!

    Most fun I've had on a Maine thread in years.
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-11-2019 at 08:57 PM.

  12. #212
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,795

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    With all this talk of Montgomery, Red, and the coaching future, I think it's important to define what our expectations are. What do you want out of the modern Maine hockey program? Do you expect a team consistently ranked in the Top 10, going routinely to Frozen Fours, and winning national championships? Is your expectation to usually be in the national tournament, and then in a good year win a game or two and make it to the Frozen Four? Do you think the team should be close to .500 most years, with good years creeping up to 20-25 wins and a tournament appearance and a bad year dipping to 10 or so wins? Or do you think the future of the program is to be stuck below .500, with a good season being at or a little above .500 and a Garden trip? Knowing what you want and expect will better set us up to react to the coaching hunt, whenever that comes.
    amk, what's your perspective as a young Maine fan as far your expectations or hopes? I'm interested in hearing it.

    (Us old fahts often resemble an echo-chamber on here, clearly. It would be refreshing to get a little more real right about now.)
    Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-11-2019 at 08:54 PM.

  13. #213
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,385
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    With all this talk of Montgomery, Red, and the coaching future, I think it's important to define what our expectations are. What do you want out of the modern Maine hockey program? Do you expect a team consistently ranked in the Top 10, going routinely to Frozen Fours, and winning national championships? Is your expectation to usually be in the national tournament, and then in a good year win a game or two and make it to the Frozen Four? Do you think the team should be close to .500 most years, with good years creeping up to 20-25 wins and a tournament appearance and a bad year dipping to 10 or so wins? Or do you think the future of the program is to be stuck below .500, with a good season being at or a little above .500 and a Garden trip? Knowing what you want and expect will better set us up to react to the coaching hunt, whenever that comes.
    If Maine could regularly host hockey east quarterfinals I would be content.

  14. #214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Well, it did rule out anything involving any former or current players.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that he got caught coaching while drunk.

    (Whoa..! Maybe that Red's problem, too!)
    I read a quote where Nill said he was surprised. There were many other tweets where it is known he had fun of the ice. Not sure this would fall under surprising Nill.

    It also is said this is not under the new Betmen four points policy, which seems to rule out racism or abuse. In fact it seems his players are surprised and have good things to say and donít appear to be aware of the issue.

    It also is not a criminal issue, so this rules out a lot.

    It also doesnít involve a stars employee.

    Maybe he just put beans in his chili. Or he was caught grilling a veggie burger.

  15. #215
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,217

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    Well, it did rule out anything involving any former or current players.

    I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that he got caught coaching while drunk..........
    Based on what officially has been ruled out as unprofessional conduct, I think you may have nailed it.

  16. #216
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    amk, what's your perspective as a young Maine fan as far your expectations or hopes? I'm interested in hearing it.

    (Us old fahts often resemble an echo-chamber on here, clearly. It would be refreshing to get a little more real right about now.)
    I used to think that Maine's long-term expectations should be something like a team thats usually around .500, with a good year every now and then that sees them win 20-25 games and make the national tournament, possibly making a serious run. The landscape is changing, and Orono isn't exactly a prime destination for the majority of young people. However, the more I think about it, a team more in the range of routine national tournament participant that makes a run now and again is what we should be striving for. Its been proven that you can be a successful program in a rural area in hockey, as we've seen programs like Clarkson, Michigan Tech, Union, Miami, and others be in the national tournament somewhat routinely in the last several years, and none of those are exactly bustling metropolitan centers. We've also seen former also-rans be built up into consistent national contenders, like Massachusetts and Northeastern just in our own conference to name a few. I think the days of what Maine was for the 15 years from 1992-2007 are gone and never coming back, 5 national championship game appearances in 11 years should not be counted on to happen again. Bottom line, Maine should strive for being a routine national tournament participant, and some years they miss out and sag to .500, and others where they win a few games and make it to the FF. FWIW, I also think Maine will win another national championship in my lifetime.

  17. #217
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,385
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    I used to think that Maine's long-term expectations should be something like a team thats usually around .500, with a good year every now and then that sees them win 20-25 games and make the national tournament, possibly making a serious run. The landscape is changing, and Orono isn't exactly a prime destination for the majority of young people. However, the more I think about it, a team more in the range of routine national tournament participant that makes a run now and again is what we should be striving for. Its been proven that you can be a successful program in a rural area in hockey, as we've seen programs like Clarkson, Michigan Tech, Union, Miami, and others be in the national tournament somewhat routinely in the last several years, and none of those are exactly bustling metropolitan centers. We've also seen former also-rans be built up into consistent national contenders, like Massachusetts and Northeastern just in our own conference to name a few. I think the days of what Maine was for the 15 years from 1992-2007 are gone and never coming back, 5 national championship game appearances in 11 years should not be counted on to happen again. Bottom line, Maine should strive for being a routine national tournament participant, and some years they miss out and sag to .500, and others where they win a few games and make it to the FF. FWIW, I also think Maine will win another national championship in my lifetime.
    In your lifetime? 🤣

    That was a bold prediction. Way to put your neck out there.

    Imagine if you are wrong though, none of us will be around to tell you that you are wrong. 🤔

  18. #218
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    776
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    In your lifetime? 🤣

    That was a bold prediction. Way to put your neck out there.

    Imagine if you are wrong though, none of us will be around to tell you that you are wrong. 🤔
    I only included that because my father does not agree, lol. I know it's not the hottest of takes you'll see on here.

  19. #219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,298

    Re: Maine

    I would like to see a New Coach in place that when here, his design is to make it his Program...to win. A team that has a work ethic second to none, a team that recruits players based on talent and not just BIG-BIGGER-BIGGEST...and the trade mark of Maine and is with all teams, solid goaltending, a backup that is as good as the starter. A team that prides itself on defense and discipline. A team that a .500 season is a bad season, winning some where's from 18-20-22 in the regular season, placing in the top 5 of Hockey East, going to Boston 2 out of every 4 year cycle, legit chance at being in the NCAA's 2 out of every 4 years. Having a team that the Alfond is full 85% of the time and is the ACE in the hole, that no team wants to play Maine there. Sounds like a lot and not realistic at this time, but goals in making the Team better is what this is about. I didn't add being in the Frozen 4, because for now the rebuild/retool will be more important in setting the foundation of ever going to the Frozen 4. I am a old timer, I "HOPE" but for now I don't see Maine winning the Frozen 4 in the next 5-6 years...maybe after that...but,???????...time will tell.

  20. #220
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,795

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    In your lifetime? 🤣

    That was a bold prediction. Way to put your neck out there.

    Imagine if you are wrong though, none of us will be around to tell you that you are wrong. 🤔
    Gotta give the young man credit for knowing how to cover his a**. It heartens to see that Maine is still attracting the best and the brightest.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •