Page 24 of 51 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 1001

Thread: Maine

  1. #461
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    There's no easy answer as to how Maine could return to being a nationally relevant program. It's a combination of all the things you mentioned, as well as the unquantifiable variable of the kids themselves. Some kids don't like the hustle and bustle of the city, and might be charmed by Orono's small town feel. This is especially true in hockey compared to other sports, just because of who average hockey players are and where they come from. Some kid from a small town in Canada or Minnesota where they only have a stoplight, a gas station, and a rink is likely to feel more comfortable in a place like Orono playing for Maine than they would on Comm Ave playing for BU. And as others have said, there are plenty of examples of successful programs either now or in the recent past in rural locations, like NoDak, Duluth, Clarkson, Miami, Northern Michigan, and more. Hell, even Amherst is probably just as rural as Orono, if you've never been down there it's way more rural then you'd think, and they look like they're starting to establish themselves as one of the new titans of Hockey East. The rural area argument works for other sports (i.e, basketball), but I don't think its a valid argument for hockey.
    I agree. Hell, even Lake State was a dynasty...

    But they had this coach named Jeff Jackson.

  2. #462
    University of Maine Class of 2020
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    I agree. Hell, even Lake State was a dynasty...

    But they had this coach named Jeff Jackson.
    In my opinion, coaching is the #1 variable for success. Shortly behind it though is organizational support. Sometimes I bet they follow each other, through. Like finding a good coach who can bring success might inspire administration to invest more in a soon to be successful product, or the opposite: deciding to spend more money can then lead to finding a better coach, by being willing to pay him more and by giving a larger search budget.

    All this said, I don't see Red being fired this summer with one year left on his deal. The real question will be if he gets an extension after next season, or if they decide to move on.

  3. #463
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    In my opinion, coaching is the #1 variable for success. Shortly behind it though is organizational support. Sometimes I bet they follow each other, through. Like finding a good coach who can bring success might inspire administration to invest more in a soon to be successful product, or the opposite: deciding to spend more money can then lead to finding a better coach, by being willing to pay him more and by giving a larger search budget.

    All this said, I don't see Red being fired this summer with one year left on his deal. The real question will be if he gets an extension after next season, or if they decide to move on.
    I'm with you; eating Red's contract would be a dumb move. The damage has already been done there.

    But renewing him yet again would be even dumber.

    (Good God, could that possibly happen?)

  4. #464
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by amkirby10 View Post
    In my opinion, coaching is the #1 variable for success. Shortly behind it though is organizational support. Sometimes I bet they follow each other, through. Like finding a good coach who can bring success might inspire administration to invest more in a soon to be successful product, or the opposite: deciding to spend more money can then lead to finding a better coach, by being willing to pay him more and by giving a larger search budget.

    All this said, I don't see Red being fired this summer with one year left on his deal. The real question will be if he gets an extension after next season, or if they decide to move on.
    I think we are also forgetting Standbrook and his role in scouring to no end and fixing one aspect of a players game. He could take an overlooked kid and work on an aspect and turn him into a top player. Not all worked out, but as a whole body of work he raised the quality of players as a whole by finding kids with heart and determination to be better, and making them be better. Combine that with Walsh’s salesmanship and bench work.... a combo that is difficult to replicate.

  5. #465
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Duluth to name another, there are more.
    I don't buy the argument goblue51 presents. As a player would you go to York's team or Reds, no brainer. It's about coaching and development. Yeh some kids might not want rural or a state school atmospheres but there's lots of talent who won't mind.
    Do we want to take a look at the gym at both universities?

    Do we want to take a look at the dorms at both universities?

    The locker room? The cafeteria? Need I go on?

    It’s more than just the location. There’s a reason why a lot of in-state students chose to go elsewhere.

    The entire campus needs to catch up to other universities.

  6. #466
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,337
    Halak on his head. So goaltending in Boston is strong. Bruins now mirrors Maine...

  7. #467
    2009 NCAA Champions Sean Pickett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    2,585

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    I think we are also forgetting Standbrook and his role in scouring to no end and fixing one aspect of a players game. He could take an overlooked kid and work on an aspect and turn him into a top player. Not all worked out, but as a whole body of work he raised the quality of players as a whole by finding kids with heart and determination to be better, and making them be better. Combine that with Walsh’s salesmanship and bench work.... a combo that is difficult to replicate.
    I think Grant was the best assistant coach in the 35 seasons I have been watching BU and college hockey.

    Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

    Watch BU Hockey highlights
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games

  8. #468
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,295

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I think Grant was the best assistant coach in the 35 seasons I have been watching BU and college hockey.

    Sean
    Not only the best assistant but a down to earth good man...a real Gentlemen with Class.

  9. #469
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,295

    Re: Maine

    One thing about location, if your winning and playing for something it isn't hard to find, but lose/lose/lose and dole out excuses, and guess what nobody knows where it is or cares and that has happen to the Program in Orono.

  10. #470
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,337
    Maine has dropped from 22nd to 32nd in the pairwise rankings after the loss since I checked last which was after the UNO series.

  11. #471
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maine, North of Orono
    Posts
    913

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackI View Post
    Came back in. He seemed fine after coming back.
    Was just reading Mahoney article in BDN, Tralmaks evidently didnt play 2nd or 3rd periods. Red wont comment on his injury, typical.
    Could be a game changer in next few weekends.

    Great quote by Red.
    “The bottom line was we didn’t score enough goals and we gave up too many to win the game. It’s as simple as that,” Gendron said.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 01-17-2020 at 07:22 AM.

  12. #472
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maine, North of Orono
    Posts
    913

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    I think Grant was the best assistant coach in the 35 seasons I have been watching BU and college hockey.

    Sean
    Yes Really
    As a coach he had a way with people that was special. I happened to be in the rink once during a practice at the time when Grant was still with Whitehead, Grant was on the ice alone with a group of a dozen or so players showing them a situation skating move. What struck me was that he had 100% of their attention. What a teacher.

  13. #473
    UR▼ UncleRay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Hood
    Posts
    6,201

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    If location is the problem should the program be moved to USM?
    Don't you mean the University of Maine at Portland??
    bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
    SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
    All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
    A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

    And stay off the lawn!

  14. #474
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    12,884

    Re: Maine

    You need to be able to sell your program regardless of where it is located. Dynamic coaching and a recent tradition of getting kids to the NHL would help. Modern, fancy facilities would help. Great academics would help. A vibrant campus life would help.

    Maine doesn't really have any of those things to sell right now.

    We could just start cheating again.

  15. #475
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,295

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    You need to be able to sell your program regardless of where it is located. Dynamic coaching and a recent tradition of getting kids to the NHL would help. Modern, fancy facilities would help. Great academics would help. A vibrant campus life would help.

    Maine doesn't really have any of those things to sell right now.

    We could just start cheating again.
    Well that's the new norm, ask them in Boston....seems to be the recipe to winning.

  16. #476
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    21

    Re: Maine

    this is the same maine team weve seen for last 8 or so years Cellar dwellars very little talent even the goalie is not that high on the talent list or he would be playing somewhere else

  17. #477
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Maine, North of Orono
    Posts
    913
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Modern, fancy facilities would help. Great academics would help. A vibrant campus life would help.

    Maine doesn't really have any of those things to sell right now.
    But again there are many examples of schools like this with better hockey success.
    Not that Maine is so bad. The school.
    Last edited by NorthMike; 01-18-2020 at 07:19 AM.

  18. #478
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Was just reading Mahoney article in BDN, Tralmaks evidently didnt play 2nd or 3rd periods. Red wont comment on his injury, typical.
    Could be a game changer in next few weekends.

    Great quote by Red.
    “The bottom line was we didn’t score enough goals and we gave up too many to win the game. It’s as simple as that,” Gendron said.
    His brilliant hockey mind at work there...

  19. #479
    Black Bear since D-2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,772

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthMike View Post
    Yes Really
    As a coach he had a way with people that was special. I happened to be in the rink once during a practice at the time when Grant was still with Whitehead, Grant was on the ice alone with a group of a dozen or so players showing them a situation skating move. What struck me was that he had 100% of their attention. What a teacher.
    I had the pleasure of visiting with him at the Tsongas years ago, between periods, and when Walsh was still on the bench.

    He (very generously) chatted me up for the entire intermission, and it was so easy to recognize his hockey acumen, and why guys wanted to play for him.

    One of a kind, and probably as much a reason that Maine ruled the roost for a while as was Shawn.

    Those were the days.

  20. #480
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,295

    Re: Maine

    Quote Originally Posted by tony potter View Post
    this is the same maine team weve seen for last 8 or so years Cellar dwellars very little talent even the goalie is not that high on the talent list or he would be playing somewhere else
    Bad Maine teams: yes, as far as Swayman...have you seen him play??? He would be a top goalie for just about 90% of the teams in College Hockey...you have your opinion, but you missed the boat on Swayman.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •