Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 130

Thread: 2019 Elections

  1. #101
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    117

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Kentucky's history is largely irrelevant. People don't split tickets anymore like they used to even 10 years ago. Kentucky has been red for a looong time. I would expect it to mirror West Virginia, a state now largely re-aligned with the occasional exception (Beshear, Manchin) able to break through.
    They just split them last night in a fairly significant fashion...you're right that Kentucky on a federal level is similar to a West Virginia, but when it comes to statewide elections, that hasn't proven to be the case yet. Time will tell whether your hypothesis that you're currently passing off as fact is correct.

    WeareNDHockey, yes, plenty of DINO voters living in eastern Kentucky. They're definitely not the Democrats of New York or California, and most have voted Republican at the federal level for decades now. When it comes to state offices though, they're still willing to send Democrats to Frankfort.

  2. #102
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    73,060

    Re: 2019 Elections

    More good news: suburbs continue to go blue. That was the major takeaway in TX in 2018 and it also drove the VA blue tsunami. Happening also in PA which traditionally has a fairly conservative white fight suburban population. You can mix and match with every city in the US, and in particular in the 2020 purples. Who knows, maybe even in FL burbs?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  3. #103
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    43,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    More good news: suburbs continue to go blue. That was the major takeaway in TX in 2018 and it also drove the VA blue tsunami. Happening also in PA which traditionally has a fairly conservative white fight suburban population. You can mix and match with every city in the US, and in particular in the 2020 purples. Who knows, maybe even in FL burbs?
    Florida bucks all trends because that place is the 7th circle of hell

  4. #104
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    73,060

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Florida bucks all trends because that place is the 7th circle of hell
    It really is the p-ss drain of the Eastern US. Every old, decrepit Republican from the Midwest and every Northeastern Archie Bunker retires there. You'd think it would be more liberal from all the Jews but it's as if only the racist Jews from Five Towns go there.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  5. #105
    Apartheid Loving Conservadem!
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    43,866

    Re: 2019 Elections

    If you look at the Jewish areas they tend to be liberal...unless you go farther North and they have lots of cash so they could go either way. My relatives there though are definitely not Racist Red. (and quite wealthy)

    I dunno Florida is just its own little world...I blame the humidity
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  6. #106
    \../ \../
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Patiently awaiting changes I know are not coming.
    Posts
    2,904

    Re: 2019 Elections

    The media needs to come up with a new phrase to replace the incessant use of "too close to call." The Kentucky governor's election is not "too close to call." It looks to me like the democrat won by more than 5000 votes. In fact it is easy to "call."

    Maybe there will be a recount. Maybe the whining biatch the republicans ran will do the mature and proper thing and concede. But the race is not "too close to call."

    Say instead "with the polls closed and no more votes to be counted Beshear is 5000 votes ahead. His rival has yet to concede what appears to be a democratic win." That is factual and offers no commentary, how the news media should be going about reporting the news. Leave the rest to the editorializing talking heads.

    By repeating time and again the race is too close to call you invite people to look for "irregularities" that simply don't exist. Of course if further reporting shows things changing, or someone provides some verifiable evidence of "irregularities" by all means follow up and report on that data. Don't feed the narratives that have all but destroyed our institutions.

  7. #107
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    73,060

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Round up of local initiatives.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  8. #108
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    43,970

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Also, I'm a happy girl. 6 trans candidates (including Danica) won last night, and 80 LGBTQ candidates won last night.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  9. #109
    Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The Black Lodge
    Posts
    34,829
    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    Maybe there will be a recount. Maybe the whining biatch the republicans ran will do the mature and proper thing and concede. But the race is not "too close to call."
    If he concedes after all this Trumpian nonsense, he'll be dubbed a cuckservative. This will go to the courts. Meanwhile, expect the brownshirt Pubbie KY leg to strip the governor of powers, too. Like they did in NC and WI once it was clear they lost.

  10. #110
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pluteville
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    The media needs to come up with a new phrase to replace the incessant use of "too close to call." The Kentucky governor's election is not "too close to call." It looks to me like the democrat won by more than 5000 votes. In fact it is easy to "call."

    Maybe there will be a recount. Maybe the whining biatch the republicans ran will do the mature and proper thing and concede. But the race is not "too close to call."

    Say instead "with the polls closed and no more votes to be counted Beshear is 5000 votes ahead. His rival has yet to concede what appears to be a democratic win." That is factual and offers no commentary, how the news media should be going about reporting the news. Leave the rest to the editorializing talking heads.

    By repeating time and again the race is too close to call you invite people to look for "irregularities" that simply don't exist. Of course if further reporting shows things changing, or someone provides some verifiable evidence of "irregularities" by all means follow up and report on that data. Don't feed the narratives that have all but destroyed our institutions.
    Yup, 100% agree. Again, the media is not our friend. They too often do the GOP's bidding on stories like this because they're cowards. I will say though that in most stories I read, if you actually get down into it of course, they are making clear that Bevin is offering nothing to back up his allegations despite repeatedly being contacted to do so.

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    If he concedes after all this Trumpian nonsense, he'll be dubbed a cuckservative. This will go to the courts. Meanwhile, expect the brownshirt Pubbie KY leg to strip the governor of powers, too. Like they did in NC and WI once it was clear they lost.
    I don't think he concedes for the reasons you stated, but rather he slowly fades away. The problem with going to court is there's no legal basis for contesting the election. I read the basis of the Gooper Senate leader's objection was that the libertarian vote would have gone Bevin so those should be allocated to him. A classic response to that was "you've had 3 years to implement ranked choice". You can't do that retroactively.
    Last edited by Rover; 11-07-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  11. #111
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    11,073

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    The media needs to come up with a new phrase to replace the incessant use of "too close to call." The Kentucky governor's election is not "too close to call." It looks to me like the democrat won by more than 5000 votes. In fact it is easy to "call."

    Maybe there will be a recount. Maybe the whining biatch the republicans ran will do the mature and proper thing and concede. But the race is not "too close to call."

    Say instead "with the polls closed and no more votes to be counted Beshear is 5000 votes ahead. His rival has yet to concede what appears to be a democratic win." That is factual and offers no commentary, how the news media should be going about reporting the news. Leave the rest to the editorializing talking heads.

    By repeating time and again the race is too close to call you invite people to look for "irregularities" that simply don't exist. Of course if further reporting shows things changing, or someone provides some verifiable evidence of "irregularities" by all means follow up and report on that data. Don't feed the narratives that have all but destroyed our institutions.
    Here's the rather obvious reply to the "irregularities"-

    Bevin- you and your cronies were in charge of this election. If you say there are real irregularities, that means you and your cronies are incompetent in doing the most basic service to the state- ensuring safe and secure elections. Therefore, no matter how the recount comes out, you are not capable of being a governor.

  12. #112
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,493

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    Here's the rather obvious reply to the "irregularities"-

    Bevin- you and your cronies were in charge of this election. If you say there are real irregularities, that means you and your cronies are incompetent in doing the most basic service to the state- ensuring safe and secure elections. Therefore, no matter how the recount comes out, you are not capable of being a governor.
    In MN, the Secretary of State is in charge of elections. I won't pretend to know the setup in KY. Just food for thought.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  13. #113
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    11,073

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    In MN, the Secretary of State is in charge of elections. I won't pretend to know the setup in KY. Just food for thought.
    the russian party is in charge of the whole thing- regardless, and the leader of that russian party is Bevin. therefore they are all very, very incompetent.

    Pass the buck all you want, if the governor can not get the elections safe and secure, then he's not directing the SOS all that well, is he? Incompetent.

  14. #114
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pluteville
    Posts
    17,196

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    In MN, the Secretary of State is in charge of elections. I won't pretend to know the setup in KY. Just food for thought.
    Mercifully the Secretary of State in KY is a Democrat. Otherwise we'd start seeing Katherine Harris type shenanigans. But the onus here would be for Bevin to show specifically that there's some problem, not "uh, dem dere's some ee-regularitees".
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  15. #115
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    32,493

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    the russian party is in charge of the whole thing- regardless, and the leader of that russian party is Bevin. therefore they are all very, very incompetent.

    Pass the buck all you want, if the governor can not get the elections safe and secure, then he's not directing the SOS all that well, is he? Incompetent.
    SoS is an elected official in most states, and does not directly report to the governor. In this case, the 2019 election turned the KY SoS from D to R.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  16. #116
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    117

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Bevin asked for a recanvassing of the votes that Lundergan Grimes, Kentucky‘s Secretary of State, said she received. The recanvassing is due by November 14, upon which it’ll be certified by November 25, since Beshear takes office on December 10. Kentucky has no avenue for an actual recount unless Bevin wants to pay for it. Even then, Kentucky’s statute for recounts excludes the governor’s race, so he’s need to claim a contest of the election (maybe the impetus for his “irregularities”” comment). At that point, a judge would have to agree with all of that for a recount to happen. It’s not going to happen.

  17. #117
    ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ
    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    The Workers' Paradise
    Posts
    73,060

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Somebody in Jersey wrote in Gritty for School Board.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

  18. #118
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    44,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Somebody in Jersey wrote in Gritty for School Board.
    Hope that was jersey islands

  19. #119
    Never Forget!
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Dominical, Costa Rica
    Posts
    5,797

    Re: 2019 Elections

    As a result of the Democrats taking control of the Virginia legislature the Equal Rights Amendment will be ratified by the 38th state. A bill to eliminate the 1982 deadline for ratification will be introduced to the House of Representatives next week. Once it passes it will be up to the Senate. It will likely then die in the Senate, but it will put the Turtle and several of his GOP friends in a very uncomfortable position. So one more reason for Democrats to flip the US Senate in 2020 is the ratification of the ERA.

  20. #120
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    oasis in the middle east
    Posts
    44,736

    Re: 2019 Elections

    Can’t see how that makes them uncomfortable however.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •