Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Elections

Lucia Apologist

Re: 2019 Elections

“At this time the Office of Secretary of State has not been notified of an upcoming election for your precinct.”

The Dark One

Most important contest tonight for me is VA legislature. Really close to elimination last vestige of knuckledragger power in the state and will be able to completely redraw the lines after 2020. Could pick up a couple of Congressional seats depending on how badly they want to screw the GOP and enact some much needed progressive legislation. Its a bad night if they fail to pick up both chambers, and a good night if they do regardless of KY or MS.

If they win in KY, its a very good night. Will prove that the party still has some staying power here unlike say WV.

If they win in MS, look for a flood of retirements to be announced tomorrow morning on the Republican side.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Most important contest tonight for me is VA legislature. Really close to elimination last vestige of knuckledragger power in the state and will be able to completely redraw the lines after 2020. Could pick up a couple of Congressional seats depending on how badly they want to screw the GOP and enact some much needed progressive legislation. Its a bad night if they fail to pick up both chambers, and a good night if they do regardless of KY or MS.

If they win in KY, its a very good night. Will prove that the party still has some staying power here unlike say WV.

If they win in MS, look for a flood of retirements to be announced tomorrow morning on the Republican side.
    Kentucky hates their Governor. Makes you wonder why they elected the ******** in the first place.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

wubba lubba dub dub

I've been reading that if the Democrats take control of the state's legislature, there will likely be enough votes for the state to finally pass the ERA. They would be the 38th state to ratify it, making it the 28th Amendment to the US Constitution.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I've been reading that if the Democrats take control of the state's legislature, there will likely be enough votes for the state to finally pass the ERA. They would be the 38th state to ratify it, making it the 28th Amendment to the US Constitution.
    But won't it will be locked up in the courts for years over the battle of whether ratification votes can expire?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    But won't it will be locked up in the courts for years over the battle of whether ratification votes can expire?
    I don't know anything about ratification votes expiring. That's not come up in anything I've read.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

I'm paying attention to Danica Roem's battle tonight. She's an inspiration to me, and she's been the target of a whole bunch of anti-trans attack ads.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

The Dark One

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I don't know anything about ratification votes expiring. That's not come up in anything I've read.
    I think the amendment has to be written with an expiration date in it. We used to have 26 amendments but the 27th amendment went through quietly in 1992 despite being one of the first proposed...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty...s_Constitution
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

I don't think expiration is the problem. IIRC, there are states which want to rescind their passage because the Christian Taliban got control of the state leg afterwards. There is no provision for rescinding. This Court would obviously decide however would benefit the GOP more.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Lucia Apologist

Edit 2: So I was mistaken on the issue. It wasn't about expiration of a ratification, it was whether a deadline in a congressional resolution can be enforced(?) and if so, how. I think...

From Wiki:
    Congress had originally set a ratification deadline of March 22, 1979, for the state legislatures to consider the ERA. Through 1977, the amendment received 35 of the necessary 38 state ratifications.[note 1] With wide, bipartisan support (including that of both major political parties, both houses of Congress, and Presidents Nixon, Ford and Carter)[5] the ERA seemed destined for ratification until Phyllis Schlafly mobilized conservative women in opposition. These women argued that the ERA would disadvantage housewives, cause women to be drafted into the military and to lose protections such as alimony, and eliminate the tendency for mothers to obtain custody over their children in divorce cases.[6] Many labor feminists also opposed the ERA on the basis that it would eliminate protections for women in labor law, though over time more and more unions and labor feminist leaders turned toward supporting it.

Five state legislatures (Idaho, Kentucky, Nebraska, Tennessee, and South Dakota) voted to revoke their ERA ratifications. Four claim to have rescinded their ratifications before the original March 22, 1979, ratification deadline, while the South Dakota legislature did so by voting to sunset its ratification as of that original deadline. However, it remains a legal question as to whether a state can revoke its ratification of a federal constitutional amendment.

In 1978, Congress passed (by simple majorities in each house), and President Carter signed, a joint resolution with the intent of extending the ratification deadline to June 30, 1982. Because no additional state legislatures ratified the ERA between March 22, 1979, and June 30, 1982, the validity of that disputed extension was rendered academic.[7] Since 1978, attempts have been made in Congress to extend or remove the deadline.

Edit: And this entire section:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_...te_strategy%22
    Last edited by dxmnkd316; 11-05-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    Code:
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

I don't think expiration is the problem. IIRC, there are states which want to rescind their passage because the Christian Taliban got control of the state leg afterwards. There is no provision for rescinding. This Court would obviously decide however would benefit the GOP more.
    Honestly, if ratification hasnt happened I think a State should be allowed to rescind their vote if they so choose.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

I recall a CO election, maybe 2008, where the GOP managed to survive an otherwise national blue wave by obsessing on NRA talking points. Is that still a winning strategy there?
    Yes guns are still a big thing, but that was not the important thing there. The important thing that happened was that the Rs were successful in recalling 2 state reps simply because they voted in favor of new gun laws, so now they think they should be able to recall anyone elected they don't like (See: teh gay Governor). There has been an endless recall campaign since the day he was elected, because reasons.

Never Forget!

1140th voter in my town. We might hit 25% turnout.

Did my research on the school board. Just voted.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by ticapnews View Post
    1140th voter in my town. We might hit 25% turnout.
    25% of the goats are smiling for the break tonight

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Is...is the Demo gonna win the KY Gov race??

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Is...is the Demo gonna win the KY Gov race??
    Looks like it

"Latest: 16 more precincts have reported, with more than 10,000 additional votes. Andy Beshear leads Matt Bevin by more than 10,000 votes with 98 percent of precincts reporting. 1m ago"
    Code:

Looks like it

"Latest: 16 more precincts have reported, with more than 10,000 additional votes. Andy Beshear leads Matt Bevin by more than 10,000 votes with 98 percent of precincts reporting. 1m ago"
    Yeah only about 15,000 more votes to be counted.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

At least one seat in VA Delegates is flipped, the 94th, which was the infamous "draw from a bowl" one from 2 years ago.

Also a Dem won in the 13th Senate, which was previously Republican.

That means the Dems are even in both the House and Senate now (assuming no other flips).

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Democrats are leading in Virginia races so far. My hero is up by about 850 votes with 8 of 20 precincts reporting.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Thread Information