Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

Re: 2020 Democratic Challengers VII: Bon Voyage Beto

Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    As for Kep’s post, assuming that non-white people will just automatically vote for lanyard liberals who do nothing to change the direction the country has gone for 40-50 years probably isn’t a good assumption. We all saw Nancy stuttering like an idiot the other day as she got shouted down by non-white people who want serious immigration reform.
    You just can't help yourself.

You literally offer nothing to this thread other than ad Homs directed at me so....

We’ve already seen polling indicate that blue dog democrats suppress turnout and more progressive ones increase it.
    While this is my instinct I have not seen a really good statistical argument either for it or for the centrist assumption that it's the reverse. Mostly I think people rely on anecdotal evidence, which consists of, for the centrists: McGovern 1972, and for the leftists every other electoral loss of the last 50 years.

As I say, I have the same gut instinct as you -- the path to winning for us is GO LEFT. The Republicans showed us that in this ostensibly centrist country they can go literally so far right they merge with fascism and they can still win. Extremism is only bad when it's the other guy. A radical, extremist Left could flourish nationally (and of course in the blue states and compete in the purple) even considering we have to go up against not just conservative voters but also the rich who control the levers of power and the media. But my instinct, same as yours, is the way to win is to be proud, stand up, shout our values, don't apologize, and show voters we are confident and strong and we do not take any sh-t.
    Last edited by Kepler; 11-15-2019 at 02:54 PM.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

You literally offer nothing to this thread other than ad Homs directed at me so....

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    While this is my instinct I have not seen a really good statistical argument either for it or for the centrist assumption that it's the reverse. Mostly I think people rely on anecdotal evidence, which consists of, for the centrists: McGovern 1972, and for the leftists every other electoral loss of the last 50 years.
    So I'm going by the assumption of trix that Obama and Clinton are centrists along with Hillary, Gore, Kerry, etc. Only potted plant Kerry lost the popular vote.

In the 70's-80's which you and I lived through, centrist Dems went 1 out of 2 (Carter both times) while liberals (McGovern, Mondale, Dukakis) got fuking crushed. That's not my opinion. Those elections were blowouts. So, the historical stats back up Dem moderates vs Dem liberals in terms of winning the Presidency, using trix' definition of who's a centrist. Now of course we'll put in the obvious caveat that past results don't predict the future. However, I'd like some decent evidence that something has changed recently vs...oh I don't know...2012 when corporate conservadem Obama won his 2nd term with 51% of the vote...
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

My opinion, yours may vary:

72 McGovern Left Lost
    76 Carter Center Won
    80 Carter Center Lost
    84 Mondale Left Lost
    88 Dukakis Center Lost
    92 Clinton Left Won
    96 Clinton Center Won
    00 Gore Center Lost
    04 Kerry Center Lost
    08 Obama Left Won
    12 Obama Center Won
    16 Hillary Center Lost

Left: 2-2
    Center: 3-5

I move both Clinton and Obama from Left in their first election for what they ran as to Center in the re-election for their record.

I would like to point out, however that since 1984 the record is:

Left: 2-0
    Center: 2-4

and both Center wins got into office in the first place by running as Left.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019

Looks like I have a new book to add to The Two Income Trap as the greatest economic textbooks of our time.

https://www.amazon.com/Winners-Take-...3855339&sr=8-1

Meanwhile, our conservative friends are still reading Fountanhead for their economic ideals.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

Lucia Apologist

72 McGovern Left Lost
    76 Carter Center Won
    80 Carter Center Lost
    84 Mondale Left Lost
    88 Dukakis Center Lost
    92 Clinton Left Won
    96 Clinton Center Won
    00 Gore Center Lost
    04 Kerry Center Lost
    08 Obama Left Won
    12 Obama Center Won
    16 Hillary Center Lost

I move both Clinton and Obama from Left in their first election for what they ran as to Center in the re-election for their record.

Doesn't 538 have some semi-objective rating of how a president ran vs. how they governed? I could have sworn they had something like that.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

The Dark One
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom

72 McGovern Left Lost
    76 Carter Center Won
    80 Carter Center Lost
    84 Mondale Left Lost
    88 Dukakis Center Lost
    92 Clinton Left Won
    96 Clinton Center Won
    00 Gore Center Lost
    04 Kerry Center Lost
    08 Obama Left Won
    12 Obama Center Won
    16 Hillary Center Lost

Yeah, I think your thumb's on the scale on a few of these Kep! Duke = centrist? But conservaDems Clinton and Obama were leftists?? Could have fooled me from reading your comments out here.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

wubba lubba dub dub

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Doesn't 538 have some semi-objective rating of how a president ran vs. how they governed? I could have sworn they had something like that.
    Most presidents are moderated after the election. It (was) the nature of the office, and need to compromise with a Congress that usually had a different agenda, even when one party controlled both branches.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Acting like there weren’t any other factors that led to McGovern being crushed decades ago other than “was too left” is the exact kind of analysis I’d expect out of Rover lmfao.

Apartheid Loving Conservadem!

Good lord, watching trix and Rover go at it is like watching the Cripple Fight from South Park

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

I thought that was rube’s job lol.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Most presidents are moderated after the election. It (was) the nature of the office, and need to compromise with a Congress that usually had a different agenda, even when one party controlled both branches.
    LBJ was the last Democrat to run Center and govern Left. I highly recommend this strategy. The right calls anything to the left of Hitler "Communism!" anyway so bring it.

Several Republicans have run Center and governed (Far) Right: both Bushes and Dump (who ran on "a pox on both your houses" but immediately fell into lockstep with the GOP radical right agenda).
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

LBJ was the last Democrat to run Center and govern Left. I highly recommend this strategy. The right calls anything to the left of Hitler "Communism!" anyway so bring it.

Several Republicans have run Center and governed (Far) Right: both Bushes and Dump (who ran on "a pox on both your houses" but immediately fell into lockstep with the GOP radical right agenda).
    The left calls anything to the right of Bernie "Alt-Right."

And nice uncalled-for shot at me, trixie.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    The left calls anything to the right of Bernie "Alt-Right."
    bs

I don't call any of the Democrats running towards the center Alt-Right.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    bs

I don't call any of the Democrats running towards the center Alt-Right.
    You might as well. Amy K to you is a commie rightie who has no business being a Democrat.....
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    You might as well. Amy K to you is a commie rightie who has no business being a Democrat.....
    No. My problem with her has nothing to do with her policy positions. My problem with her is she thinks she can negotiate with terrorists. And what's funny about it is 5 minutes after she brags about being able to work with Turtle Boy she whines that he isn't allowing a vote on her bill.

there's a good buck in that racket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yeah, I think your thumb's on the scale on a few of these Kep! Duke = centrist? But conservaDems Clinton and Obama were leftists?? Could have fooled me from reading your comments out here.
    Yup, Kepler dead wrong on his characterizations

there's a good buck in that racket.

Passing laws to help colored and poor folks in the 60’s was running center?!?!

LBJ ran so far left he was personally responsible for the long term exodus of traditional Dems to the R party (which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing)

Thread Information