Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Robillard started to pick up last year also, much like Korczak. So maybe it'll is a Jr year trend at Mercyhurst?
    Yea I was wondering about that. There are several that fit this trend of increased production as the years go by. Last years entire sophomore class met or exceeded their freshman production. Current sophomores Pinto and Nelles are close to matching their previous year production. Nuutinen and Vasko have gotten more productive points per game wise, as their Laker careers have progressed. I think itís a very positive reflection on the staff and players. Obviously we are only a third into the season, and there are a ton of tough games ahead, nothings been won yet and a season could still go terribly sideways, but itís neat to see. Not every team is going to reload with tons of national team players every year and Hurst isnít right now but you see these players earning increased ice time as the years go by and getting the results that go with it and itís impressive. Freshman class has been sort of quiet points wise thus far, but thatís how itís been for the past few years now, so it doesnít feel like cause for concern as long as they are getting better every day.... which is not to say I wouldnít love some freshman going off points wise but you know I mean.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    879

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Nuutinen and Vasko have gotten more productive points per game wise, as their Laker careers have progressed.
    On behalf of the rest of the CHA, please take that back

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    CHA post:

    RMU defeated Lindenwood 2-0 last night, with an empty netter. Shots 30-17, and RMU scored a pp goal. My general expectation is a blowout today, because thatís how itís been for LU recently. But credit to Asplundh for keeping them in games. They need to figure out a way to create offense in the short term and stop bleeding transfers in the long term. I noticed that some team that was named recently... maybeU18? had another St Louis kid on it. If I were LUís staff Iíd be doing everything I could to make my program and school known to the kids growing up in the area, as they seem to be producing good girls hockey players.

    A bit related: Brianne McLaughlin Bittle did the puck drop at the Canada US game last night and they gave a nice bio of her RMU background and a bit of RMU press for all in attendance to hear.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    CHA post:

    RMU defeated Lindenwood 2-0 last night, with an empty netter. Shots 30-17, and RMU scored a pp goal. My general expectation is a blowout today, because thatís how itís been for LU recently. But credit to Asplundh for keeping them in games. They need to figure out a way to create offense in the short term and stop bleeding transfers in the long term. I noticed that some team that was named recently... maybeU18? had another St Louis kid on it. If I were LUís staff Iíd be doing everything I could to make my program and school known to the kids growing up in the area, as they seem to be producing good girls hockey players.

    A bit related: Brianne McLaughlin Bittle did the puck drop at the Canada US game last night and they gave a nice bio of her RMU background and a bit of RMU press for all in attendance to hear.
    Had to check up on Asplundh and she is from Pennsylvania. It will be interesting if Shelly Looney will be a draw to Siberia. I meant to say Lindenwood.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Had to check up on Asplundh and she is from Pennsylvania. It will be interesting if Shelly Looney will be a draw to Siberia. I meant to say Lindenwood.
    Ugh RMU won 4-3 in ot. Yes weíll see on Looney.

  6. #26
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,873

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    It will be interesting if Shelly Looney will be a draw to Siberia. I meant to say Lindenwood.
    Lindenwood is fairly far south for a Siberia comparison.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    One of the biggest series of the year as Mercyhurst faces #5 Clarkson on the road. First game is at 2pm today.... Lakers have looked full of promise this year with some good results, and have been doing a good job starting games strong. PP % and goals scored are both top ten in the nation.

    Crossing my fingers the Lakers have a healthy, and rested but not sluggish roster today, as they were off last week. I know Finland was involved in the 5 Nations tournament that recently happened but Iím not sure if Laker players were there or not.

    Thereís been no love for the Lakers in the polls ever since the split weekend vs UMD and UConn. Need to get some points and make a statement this weekend.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    One of the biggest series of the year as Mercyhurst faces #5 Clarkson on the road. First game is at 2pm today.... Lakers have looked full of promise this year with some good results, and have been doing a good job starting games strong. PP % and goals scored are both top ten in the nation.

    Crossing my fingers the Lakers have a healthy, and rested but not sluggish roster today, as they were off last week. I know Finland was involved in the 5 Nations tournament that recently happened but Iím not sure if Laker players were there or not.

    Thereís been no love for the Lakers in the polls ever since the split weekend vs UMD and UConn. Need to get some points and make a statement this weekend.
    Mercyhurst goes up 1-0 and then gives up a sh goal to even things up. Half the game left to play.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Mercyhurst goes up 1-0 and then gives up a sh goal to even things up. Half the game left to play.
    Wow Giguere with 9 shots halfway through the game....scary

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Wow Giguere with 9 shots halfway through the game....scary
    Giving up a sh goal is usually crippling and in this game it was no different. Maybe tomorrow will bring better luck.
    Perhaps your longest player should be assigned to her - assuming she has the footwork.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    https://hurstathletics.com/news/2019...ckey-tour.aspx

    Congrats to Emma Nuutinen and freshman goaltender Jenna Silvonen on being named to Team Finland for the next tourney in the Euro Cup. This means Hurst will be without them for the series against St Cloud in 2 weeks time; hopefully they are available for the RMU series this weekend.

    Silvonen got her first collegiate start on the weekend, and turned in a shutout against Union.

    Interesting that two wins against Union gets Mercyhurst back receiving votes in the polls but I will definitely take it. The win against UConn a few weeks back paid some surprising dividends I suppose, with UConns two wins against BC and BC tying Minnesota. Further, a win is a win and the Lakers have taken care of business against the teams they are supposed to beat. Still looking for a statement win but this weekend is a great opportunity. No question that right now they should be in discussion as a top ten team.

    The goal hi lights are out there on Twitter for anyone who cares to look....that top shelf OT one timer by Dobson off the draw from Knott was so nice!

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    https://hurstathletics.com/news/2019...ckey-tour.aspx

    Congrats to Emma Nuutinen and freshman goaltender Jenna Silvonen on being named to Team Finland for the next tourney in the Euro Cup. This means Hurst will be without them for the series against St Cloud in 2 weeks time; hopefully they are available for the RMU series this weekend.

    Silvonen got her first collegiate start on the weekend, and turned in a shutout against Union.

    Interesting that two wins against Union gets Mercyhurst back receiving votes in the polls but I will definitely take it. The win against UConn a few weeks back paid some surprising dividends I suppose, with UConns two wins against BC and BC tying Minnesota. Further, a win is a win and the Lakers have taken care of business against the teams they are supposed to beat. Still looking for a statement win but this weekend is a great opportunity. No question that right now they should be in discussion as a top ten team.

    The goal hi lights are out there on Twitter for anyone who cares to look....that top shelf OT one timer by Dobson off the draw from Knott was so nice!

    If Mercyhurst beats Robert Morris, then maybe those five votes go-to Mercyhurst. Or I guess it could be vice versa.

    Thanks on Twitter links.


    UCONN is currently ahead of BU in the Hockey East, but is getting even less love than Mercyhurst and Robert Morris with no votes at all --- so it could be worse.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    UCONN is currently ahead of BU in the Hockey East, but is getting even less love than Mercyhurst and Robert Morris with no votes at all --- so it could be worse.
    Absolutely. And as is often the case, there are numerous teams that could be in the top ten convo. Really, the polls are fun for fans and probably a recruiting tool, but for the players it comes down to just going out and getting wins and everything will sort itself out.

  14. #34
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,873

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    UCONN is currently ahead of BU in the Hockey East, but is getting even less love than Mercyhurst and Robert Morris with no votes at all --- so it could be worse.
    UConn is in a pack of five HEA teams that are within two games either way of .500. For any of those to get votes, I think it will need to separate from that group and make a run at the top group with the three Boston teams.

    It's similar with RMU and Mercyhurst. The voters are more likely to embrace one that cements itself as the top team in the CHA. If neither does, then a team like UMD has enough good results (wins over Mercyhurst, Clarkson, Colgate, UConn, ties with OSU and UM) to balance out bad losses to BSU and Quinnipiac.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    Lakers defeated RMU 5-2 on the road to move to 10-4-1 on the season. Kennedy Blair didnít get a star in the game but obviously kept them in it in the first when the Lakers were outshot a bit. I watched the last ten minutes of the game and she made some big saves. On the second goal by RMU, Blair pretty much stopped a one on 0, and then it was the secondary chance (short handed) that went it. At least thatís how it looked on the replay; they may have been piecing highlights together as the goal happened right before I turned it on... In other words she was solid, with 34 saves on the night, and I would have given her a star if I were in charge of such things.

    Goal scorers for Hurst were Nelles, Nuutinen, Knott, Pinto and then
    Robillard with an empty netter. Nice job on at least three of those goals of having a mess of traffic in front of the net. Goaltender DeSmet couldnít have seen much. I have to think Raygan Kirk will get the start tomorrow. On RMU scoring it was Templeman, Gebhard, and Boyle that got all the points.

    Canít remember the last time there was a series sweep between these two teams. Record in last 11 games vs each other is 6-4-1 in favor of Hurst if I recall the pregame stat correctly. Iím hoping Hurst can take that step forward tomorrow, and not have any kind of emotional let down after today.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Lakers defeated RMU 5-2 on the road to move to 10-4-1 on the season. Kennedy Blair didnít get a star in the game but obviously kept them in it in the first when the Lakers were outshot a bit. I watched the last ten minutes of the game and she made some big saves. On the second goal by RMU, Blair pretty much stopped a one on 0, and then it was the secondary chance (short handed) that went it. At least thatís how it looked on the replay; they may have been piecing highlights together as the goal happened right before I turned it on... In other words she was solid, with 34 saves on the night, and I would have given her a star if I were in charge of such things.

    Goal scorers for Hurst were Nelles, Nuutinen, Knott, Pinto and then
    Robillard with an empty netter. Nice job on at least three of those goals of having a mess of traffic in front of the net. Goaltender DeSmet couldnít have seen much. I have to think Raygan Kirk will get the start tomorrow. On RMU scoring it was Templeman, Gebhard, and Boyle that got all the points.

    Canít remember the last time there was a series sweep between these two teams. Record in last 11 games vs each other is 6-4-1 in favor of Hurst if I recall the pregame stat correctly. Iím hoping Hurst can take that step forward tomorrow, and not have any kind of emotional let down after today.
    Another win and you will be top ten.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    536
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Another win and you will be top ten.
    Exactly. Tomorrow should be an amazing game. Last one of the year for RMU.

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The coast on the right
    Posts
    879

    Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

    That would be huge if Mercyhurst sweeps Robert Morris tomorrow, and at Robert Morris, no less - what a way to head into the holiday break!

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    44
    Great win by the Lakers, hopefully they build off that for Saturdays game. Looked like it was a good crowd. I think RMU won the 1st period, pretty even 2nd, then all Mercyhurst in the 3rd. Nice seeing 5 different goal scorers for the Lakers and Blair was solid.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    Great win by the Lakers, hopefully they build off that for Saturdays game. Looked like it was a good crowd. I think RMU won the 1st period, pretty even 2nd, then all Mercyhurst in the 3rd. Nice seeing 5 different goal scorers for the Lakers and Blair was solid.
    Robert Morris had other ideas in game 2, classic CHA.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •