2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Interesting games in Erie this weekend with Penn State making a visit. Lakers bounced back last Saturday from an 8-3 mauling at the hands of the Orange the day before so hopefully the momentum carries. Penn State a good team, they will definitely come to play.

Comment

Originally posted by slapshot willy View Post
      Interesting games in Erie this weekend with Penn State making a visit. Lakers bounced back last Saturday from an 8-3 mauling at the hands of the Orange the day before so hopefully the momentum carries. Penn State a good team, they will definitely come to play.
      Let’s goooooo! I just want wins but I’m pretty pumped for Robillard to have had such a strong weekend against Cuse. Hope she keeps crushing it the rest of the year. Syracuse is one point out of first place which RMU and Lakers currently hold. Tight race as always in the CHA.

In other non college, but Mercyhurst news... I’m happy to see Agosta named among the women who will be competing in the NHL 3 on 3 event at the All Star game. Crossing my fingers it’s televised (and my guess is it will be but who knows). The guys understandably don’t try in their own all star game, but the women will go all out, I think. Haven’t seen a ton of 3 on 3 in the women’s game so this should be lots of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
        Let’s goooooo! I just want wins but I’m pretty pumped for Robillard to have had such a strong weekend against Cuse. Hope she keeps crushing it the rest of the year. Syracuse is one point out of first place which RMU and Lakers currently hold. Tight race as always in the CHA.

In other non college, but Mercyhurst news... I’m happy to see Agosta named among the women who will be competing in the NHL 3 on 3 event at the All Star game. Crossing my fingers it’s televised (and my guess is it will be but who knows). The guys understandably don’t try in their own all star game, but the women will go all out, I think. Haven’t seen a ton of 3 on 3 in the women’s game so this should be lots of fun.
        Robillard is very interesting - third NCAA star of the week.
        What makes her a case study is - Has the coach misused or underused her for the first two years of her career? She started coming on last year - but does coming on really mean she just got more playing time and this year she is getting a ton of playing time. Someone else would say she should have redshirted as a frosh. I have a hard time believing that she blossomed this year and think she was probably this talented all along, but just needed to be on the top two lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
          Robillard is very interesting - third NCAA star of the week.
          What makes her a case study is - Has the coach misused or underused her for the first two years of her career? She started coming on last year - but does coming on really mean she just got more playing time and this year she is getting a ton of playing time. Someone else would say she should have redshirted as a frosh. I have a hard time believing that she blossomed this year and think she was probably this talented all along, but just needed to be on the top two lines.
          Great commentary. Maybe she needed to be on the top two lines but was she going to beat out one of Isbell, Tanskanen, Dobson, Nuutinen on the wing? Sisti also had Frappier, a U18 kid full of potential he was trying to bring along. I don’t know, coaches have to make their choices and live with it obvs. Getting ice time is so tough. It’s further complicated by the sh*tshow if penalty calling that took place last year in the CHA. Not only is their at least some talent drop off by the time you get to the third line, but good luck getting them ice time in a penalty fest , especially in close games. What a huge credit to Robillard though, that she fought through the mental challenges of the ice time stuff and is now making the most of her chamce. There are a lot of players who become jaded and cynical out of self preservation, or get so down on them selves when they aren’t getting ice that by the time the ice time is sitting there for them to take, they are a mess who can’t take advantage of the opportunity. So huge credit to her. Not everyone who suddenly saw an uptick in ice time would perform like this. Lastly - how amazing would time on ice stats be in college hockey? It would make it so much easier to analyze and enjoy this stuff.

Comment

Great commentary. Maybe she needed to be on the top two lines but was she going to beat out one of Isbell, Tanskanen, Dobson, Nuutinen on the wing? Sisti also had Frappier, a U18 kid full of potential he was trying to bring along. I don’t know, coaches have to make their choices and live with it obvs. Getting ice time is so tough. It’s further complicated by the sh*tshow if penalty calling that took place last year in the CHA. Not only is their at least some talent drop off by the time you get to the third line, but good luck getting them ice time in a penalty fest , especially in close games. What a huge credit to Robillard though, that she fought through the mental challenges of the ice time stuff and is now making the most of her chamce. There are a lot of players who become jaded and cynical out of self preservation, or get so down on them selves when they aren’t getting ice that by the time the ice time is sitting there for them to take, they are a mess who can’t take advantage of the opportunity. So huge credit to her. Not everyone who suddenly saw an uptick in ice time would perform like this. Lastly - how amazing would time on ice stats be in college hockey? It would make it so much easier to analyze and enjoy this stuff.
            I know you will get this. I was at Beantown one summer and in the oldest division which includes college kids, a team name was the Healthy Scratches. Not many people talk about the pain and heartache players go through when ice time is scarce. But, it was nice to see these girls still enjoy hockey enough to want to play in a tournament they didn't have to and to come up with a name with a double entendre and to make light of their situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Reddington View Post
              I have a hard time believing that she blossomed this year and think she was probably this talented all along, but just needed to be on the top two lines.
              With some players in the women's game, it isn't a matter of talent but one of confidence. Particularly when it comes to defenders, confidence can take a beating when it seems like the game is just happening too fast. For forwards, it can be big to see the puck go into the net, or at least to have scoring chances and be able to contribute to teammates having success. Even very successful players who wind up making national teams might need a couple of years before everything starts to click. Seeing that makes the kids who are able to be impact players from their first shift all the more remarkable.
              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Annnnnnd Robillard scored. Lakers up 1-0

Comment

Boy, they didn't waste any time putting one in, did they? 45 seconds into the game they get a power play, 32 seconds later they're up 1-0. Knock it off!

Comment

Here's Robillard's goal:

https://***********/HurstWHockey/sta...64521275576323

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                      Thanks Zed. Shots way in favor of Penn State. Hmmm

Comment

The goal looked like it came off a juicy rebound that Chantal Burke put right back onto Robillard's stick after her initial shot - not a good idea. I hope Penn State can keep up the shots like they did in the first, but they really need a pure goal scorer.

Comment

Silvonen getting her 2nd collegiate start today, vs Penn State. A little surprising as she struggled against Cuse last week in relief, but perhaps that was due to team play in front of her as well. Only 2 shots against in the first but so far so good.

Lakers up 1-0 after one, on a goal from sophomore Emily Pinto.

Comment

Game ends in a tie. Next up for the Lakers is RIT.

What a weekend in the CHA. Syracuse split with RMU so the Lakers and RMU are still tied in the standings with 14 points. Cuse has 13 and Penn State is right there with 11. Shelley Looney got her first CHA wins with a Lindenwood sweep over an RIT team that beat RMU last week. RIT and Lindenwood both have 4 points.

Comment

Game ends in a tie. Next up for the Lakers is RIT.

What a weekend in the CHA. Syracuse split with RMU so the Lakers and RMU are still tied in the standings with 14 points. Cuse has 13 and Penn State is right there with 11. Shelley Looney got her first CHA wins with a Lindenwood sweep over an RIT team that beat RMU last week. RIT and Lindenwood both have 4 points.
                              Yes, the Lindenwood win is a bit surprising. But, I assume they flew out there and with all their new players, that is a new dynamic for them. Another interesting ?, does the Lindenwood team have to bus or do they get to fly to their games.

In response to an earlier ?, on ice productivity stats for girls would be great, but IMHO, the girls' coaches don't want them, because ice time is very political, rather than analytical.

Add the Mercyhurst announcer as a real good one!
                              Last edited by Reddington; 01-20-2020, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Does anyone have an idea as to why the College Hockey America website doesn’t have standings or stats for this season ? They’re the only conference still showing last seasons’ info. ?

Comment

Working...
                                X