Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Lakers are currently 4-1Ė1 and receiving votes in the polls. Really exciting weekend this weekend as Hurst hosts the first ever Ice Breaker tournament in Buffalo at Harbor Center. Teams playing are Hurst vs UMD, and UConn vs Colgate, and then a second game based on the results of the first.

Great event for the players to make it to HarborCenter and exciting to watch teams play each other who donít usually do so. In 20 years Hurst has played UMD 6 times, UConn 10 times and Colgate 30+ times.

I wonít be able to watch much this year, but wanted a general thread on here for the Lakers as I still follow generally, and appreciate all the commentary on various teams here.

Gist out of Erie as far as I can tell so far is that Blair is the starter. Vasko is off to a great start with a team leading 12 points. Senior Isbell and Junior Dobson donít get much commentary but they are key to this teamís success. The D is young - no seniors that get substantial minutes. Look to Thiessen and Marmen to lead the D corps and see which other defenders emerge as go to players.

Excited to cheer for this crew as always.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 10-24-2019 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Lakers are currently 4-1Ė1 and receiving votes in the polls. Really exciting weekend this weekend as Hurst hosts the first ever Ice Breaker tournament in Buffalo at Harbor Center. Teams playing are Hurst vs UMD, and UConn vs Colgate, and then a second game based on the results of the first.

Great event for the players to make it to HarborCenter and exciting to watch teams play each other who donít usually do so. In 20 years Hurst has played UMD 6 times, UConn 10 times and Colgate 30+ times.

I wonít be able to watch much this year, but wanted a general thread on here for the Lakers as I still follow generally, and appreciate all the commentary on various teams here.

Gist out of Erie as far as I can tell so far is that Blair is the starter. Vasko is off to a great start with a team leading 12 points. Senior Isbell and Junior Dobson donít get much commentary but they are key to this teamís success. The D is young - no seniors that get substantial minutes. Look to Thiessen and Marmen to lead the D corps and see which other defenders emerge as go to players.

Excited to cheer for this crew as always.
    Are these games televised anywhere?

Re: 2019-20 Mercyhurst Lakers!

Woohoo! I was wondering if you were going to cover Mercyhurst this season (and hoping you would).

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    Woohoo! I was wondering if you were going to cover Mercyhurst this season (and hoping you would).
    Happy to be ďbackĒ. I didnít think thereíd be much movement in CHA rankings this year, but RIT seems to have regressed, and Syracuse is having a heck of a tough start. Yes, strong opponents, but one wonders if there will be movement in the CHA rankings afterall, compared to last year. Good luck to Penn State this weekend vs BU. Another series to keep an eye on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightnut View Post
    Are these games televised anywhere?
    Streamed for a fee, but not televised as far as I know.

Streamed for a fee, but not televised as far as I know.
    Boxcast is the streaming company. Any report on the frosh Lindsay?

Lakers fell 4-1 to UMD. Lone Laker goal came from Sophomore Sarah Nelles on the pp, her second goal of the year. Looking at the box score Lakers outplayed UMD in the first, but gave up a last minute goal, to tie it at one going into the intermission. Final shots were 31-31 and UMD had an empty net goal. 36 minutes in penalties this game, hopefully today has more flow.

Lakers take on UConn today. UConn gave up 5 goals plus an empty net goal on 25 shots, in a loss to Colgate yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Boxcast is the streaming company. Any report on the frosh Lindsay?
    Iíve only looked at boxscores, but Alexandria Weiss of Plover Wisconsin is a freshman defender who seems to be getting ice time, and has 2 goals thus far.

Jenna Silvonen is a Finnish National team goalie who hopefully has a promising college career ahead of her. Sheís played 1 period, with 4 saves and 0 goals against.

Iíve only looked at boxscores, but Alexandria Weiss of Plover Wisconsin is a freshman defender who seems to be getting ice time, and has 2 goals thus far.

Jenna Silvonen is a Finnish National team goalie who hopefully has a promising college career ahead of her. Sheís played 1 period, with 4 saves and 0 goals against.
    Vasko, the Stoney Creek product, is putting up some big numbers. I'm not surprised.

https://victorypress.org/2019/10/29/...nesota-duluth/

Recap of the inaugural Ice Breaker Tournament, by Melissa Burgess of Victory Press. Includes quotes from Hurst, UMD and Colgate players.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/116353...side-cha-bonus

And hereís a 5 minute q and a with Alexa Vasko of Mercyhurst. Atlantic Hockey has a podcast I guess, and this is the first bonus episode with a CHA player. Hopefully they do more of these, I enjoyed this.

Thereís also a comment on Vicki Bendus in here, an alum that now works with Hockey Canada among other places.

Lakers playing their 2nd CHA series this weekend vs Lindenwood. Hopefully a winning weekend, the team off to a nice start 🏒

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    Lakers playing their 2nd CHA series this weekend vs Lindenwood. Hopefully a winning weekend, the team off to a nice start 🏒
    For sure. 3 CHA series going this weekend. In the fall Hurst vs Lindenwood series, I hope to see the Lakers get a sweep that has eluded them the past 2 seasons. There is no road trip for the Lakers to endure and Lindenwood was just at Clarkson last weekend so hopefully that gives Lakers an edge.

Lindenwood is coming off their worst loss of the season 7-0 to Clarkson. Curious to see who starts in net. Wolf was the starter for Lindenwood in the second half last year, but this year Asplundh has been playing, and it was Hennessy that came in for relief in last weeks blowout.

Goal scoring is a major challenge for Lindenwood, 11 goals in 8 games, but they appear to be working hard for Looney and defensively will put up a fight that the Lakers are going to have to persevere through.

To wrap up last weekend - The Lakers moved to 5-2-1 with a 3-1 win over UConn. Goals came from Nuutinen, Dobson, and sophomore Liliane Perreault. Game was tied until mid of the third when Lakers took the lead. Freshman Aubrey Cole got her first collegiate point, an assist.

Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar

Lindenwood is coming off their worst loss of the season 7-0 to Clarkson. Curious to see who starts in net. Wolf was the starter for Lindenwood in the second half last year, but this year Asplundh has been playing, and it was Hennessy that came in for relief in last weeks blowout.
    When my brain thinks "Lindenwood goaltender" and then sees a combination of letters something like this, it automatically reads it as "Hensley".
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    When my brain thinks "Lindenwood goaltender" and then sees a combination of letters something like this, it automatically reads it as "Hensley".
    Hahahaha...that was exactly my first thought when I read it: "How did she get back onto the Lindenwood team?".

Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    Lucky for the Lakers.... no Hensley in net. Lakers get the win 3-0 with 2 goals from Nuutinen and 1 from Isbell. Shots were 41 -13 in favor of Hurst.

A nice sweep by the Lakers Friday and Saturday, out-scoring the Lions 10-2 with the two wins. No games next weekend, giving the girls a good rest and allowing some injuries to heal. Back in action Nov 15, on the road against Clarkson. Should be a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by slapshot willy View Post
    A nice sweep by the Lakers Friday and Saturday, out-scoring the Lions 10-2 with the two wins. No games next weekend, giving the girls a good rest and allowing some injuries to heal. Back in action Nov 15, on the road against Clarkson. Should be a good test.
    Nuutinen has 17 pts.

Mercyhurst's third line seems to be back on track after a strong showing the last third of last year. They had a string showing against Lindenwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
    Nuutinen has 17 pts.

Mercyhurst's third line seems to be back on track after a strong showing the last third of last year. They had a string showing against Lindenwood.
    Yes, lots of positive storylines right now. 4 players averaging a point or more per game, strongest win loss record at this point in a few years, sitting at 7-2-1. Strength of schedule is part of it, but it looks like the team has perhaps taken a step forward when considering they swept their opening series against Lindenwood and RIT, something they failed to do last year. Kennedy Blair is strong in net, having recently won the goalie of the month award for the CHA. In the game vs UConn, the Lakers were surprising out shot, and Blair only gave up one goal, a power play goal, giving them every chance to win the game which they eventually did. Meghan Korzack, a Junior, has 5 goals on the season, almost matching the six she scored in her first two years. Perhaps my favorite - tri captain Michele Robillard put up a hat trick last week against Lindenwood, when Vasko was out of the lineup. Robillard is a sneaky good finisher, seems to accept and shine in whatever role she is assigned.

Lakers are off this weekend - a little sad because if the 4 Nations were happening 2 Lakers very well may have been there representing Finland. Hopefully the rest will do the team well and they will be ready to go against Clarkson on the road.
    Last edited by Lindsay; 11-06-2019 at 09:48 PM.

Yes, lots of positive storylines right now. 4 players averaging a point or more per game, strongest win loss record at this point in a few years, sitting at 7-2-1. Strength of schedule is part of it, but it looks like the team has perhaps taken a step forward when considering they swept their opening series against Lindenwood and RIT, something they failed to do last year. Kennedy Blair is strong in net, having recently won the goalie of the month award for the CHA. In the game vs UConn, the Lakers were surprising out shot, and Blair only gave up one goal, a power play goal, giving them every chance to win the game which they eventually did. Meghan Korzack, a Junior, has 5 goals on the season, almost matching the six she scored in her first two years. Perhaps my favorite - tri captain Michele Robillard put up a hat trick last week against Lindenwood, when Vasko was out of the lineup. Robillard is a sneaky good finisher, seems to accept and shine in whatever role she is assigned.

Lakers are off this weekend - a little sad because if the 4 Nations were happening 2 Lakers very well may have been there representing Finland. Hopefully the rest will do the team well and they will be ready to go against Clarkson on the road.
    Robillard started to pick up last year also, much like Korczak. So maybe it'll is a Jr year trend at Mercyhurst?

Thread Information