Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
    Those competing against Christian: Ty Emberson and K’Andre Miller of Wisconsin, Ryan Johnson of Minnesota, Cam York of Michigan, Spencer Stastney of Notre Dame, Alec Regula of London OHL, Zac Jones of UMass Amherst, and Mattias Samuelsson of WMU.

Interesting to see Wisconsin with 4 on the preliminary roster (with Turcotte and Caufield) and yet struggling to win.
    And Jordan Harris of Northeastern makes 10.

Comment

Originally posted by wsummers View Post
      Interesting to see Wisconsin with 4 on the preliminary roster (with Turcotte and Caufield) and yet struggling to win.
      They are azzholes, I think it's karma!

Comment

Split is about right for this weekend given both games could’ve gone either way. Great win tonight and another terrific performance from Lethemon. Thought they were a little passive at times about getting shots off, but still put up a strong amount.

At 9-8-1, it’s the first time being over .500 at winter break since 2012.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Split is about right for this weekend given both games could’ve gone either way. Great win tonight and another terrific performance from Lethemon. Thought they were a little passive at times about getting shots off, but still put up a strong amount.

At 9-8-1, it’s the first time being over .500 at winter break since 2012.
          It was probably one of the most evenly played series I can recall, especially tonight. The Sun Devils don’t quite have the speed and skill we usually see out of the B1G but they are rock solid in the neutral zone and whoever coaches them on blocking shots should make a living purely on that alone.

Tonight’s win was absolutely huge, though. Not only does it feel great to head into the break on a high note but this could be big come NCAA selection time.

And a 4th shutout for Lethemon. What a year he’s having.

Comment

Also, Christian Krygier was out of the lineup last night. Anyone know why? Dinged up?

Scarsella was in to replace him but did not play regular minutes. It would appear that Cole does not seem to put a ton of trust in Scarsella or Chrcek. I actually do like Chrcek’s skating ability but I’ll defer to Cole there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
              Also, Christian Krygier was out of the lineup last night. Anyone know why? Dinged up?

Scarsella was in to replace him but did not play regular minutes. It would appear that Cole does not seem to put a ton of trust in Scarsella or Chrcek. I actually do like Chrcek’s skating ability but I’ll defer to Cole there.
              WJC camp started yesterday in Plymouth. I’m going to assume that’s where he was.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                WJC camp started yesterday in Plymouth. I’m going to assume that’s where he was.
                Correct, before the ASU series it was mentioned in Neil's Notebook on the MSU hockey twitter that Ch. Krygier would miss game #2 due to WJC evaluation camp starting today I believe (Dec. 16-17). I was wondering which rarely used dman Cole would insert into the line-up, and was surprised he chose Scarsella over Chrcek. But as Spartanforlife4 says, he appears to have little trust in either skater. Assuming Christian is fortunate enough to make the final WJC roster (I think the odds are against him, but crossing my fingers nonetheless), I don't imagine we'll see much of either dman during the GLI.

Comment

It was probably one of the most evenly played series I can recall, especially tonight. The Sun Devils don’t quite have the speed and skill we usually see out of the B1G but they are rock solid in the neutral zone and whoever coaches them on blocking shots should make a living purely on that alone.

Tonight’s win was absolutely huge, though. Not only does it feel great to head into the break on a high note but this could be big come NCAA selection time.

And a 4th shutout for Lethemon. What a year he’s having.
                  I'm not really following your comment about skill & speed of ASU not being up to what you usually see out of the Big10, but if ASU is rated higher than 5 members of the 7 members of the conference wouldn't that imply that they have more skill and speed than most of the Big10? What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                    I'm not really following your comment about skill & speed of ASU not being up to what you usually see out of the Big10, but if ASU is rated higher than 5 members of the 7 members of the conference wouldn't that imply that they have more skill and speed than most of the Big10? What am I missing?
                    There’s more to hockey than being fast or slick with the puck. ASU’s not at all slow, or unskilled, but their strengths are more systematic, in my opinion

Not only that, MSU is not as fast or skilled as the rest of the B1G but we’re still near the top of the standings currently. We make our hay with good defense and great goaltending. Generally being a tough team to play, like ASU.
                    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 12-16-2019, 02:12 PM.

Comment

There’s more to hockey than being fast or slick with the puck. ASU’s not at all slow, or unskilled, but their strengths are more systematic, in my opinion

Not only that, MSU is not as fast or skilled as the rest of the B1G but we’re still near the top of the standings currently. We make our hay with good defense and great goaltending. Generally being a tough team to play, like ASU.
                      You are right, there is more than being fast or skilled with the stick & puck. Home crowd effect, lucky breaks, missed calls on penalties and probably a few more things have an effect. I would include goaltending and defensive plays under fast & skilled. However I suspect, just opinion, that fast & skillful have a 70 - 80% effect on outcomes and the remainder are minor variables. I would certainly appreciate seeing any data or regression analysis you might have that breaks down the effect of all the variables identified that contribute to a good R-squared. Would help my betting win/lose ratio!

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                        You are right, there is more than being fast or skilled with the stick & puck. Home crowd effect, lucky breaks, missed calls on penalties and probably a few more things have an effect. I would include goaltending and defensive plays under fast & skilled. However I suspect, just opinion, that fast & skillful have a 70 - 80% effect on outcomes and the remainder are minor variables. I would certainly appreciate seeing any data or regression analysis you might have that breaks down the effect of all the variables identified that contribute to a good R-squared. Would help my betting win/lose ratio!
                        Ehhh more of a chemistry guy, sorry! But I think there’s a good chance ASU will be making fairly regular NCAA tournament appearances as recruiting becomes more established. I’m honestly surprised they’re as good as they are now considering how tough the first couple years were.

Comment

Ch. Krygier made the initial cut for the WJC roster (in addition to two Fs, they cut one dman, Ryan Johnson). So he's at least going to Czech.

Comment

Ehhh more of a chemistry guy, sorry! But I think there’s a good chance ASU will be making fairly regular NCAA tournament appearances as recruiting becomes more established. I’m honestly surprised they’re as good as they now considering how tough the first couple years were.
                            I'm actually a chemical engineer, but took way too much statistics, real fun at a bar....I think we have a great coach, former ASU goalie, coached the club team through now. I am surprised he is that good. For recruiting the sales pitch basically is: Become the New Legend. Attend school at a resort, change from shorts & sandals & go into a rink to cool off, not to warm up......
                            Hard to beat coeds in bikinis around the outdoor pool in January for 18 year olds........

Comment

I believe the sales slogan is "Be the Tradition", but yeah, Powers is selling an attractive story. A lot more attractive than other remote D1 hockey outposts like the Alaskas and UAH. I didn't realize Powers was a former goalie, but it's evident that he and his staff have evaluated well in that regard (NHL draftee Daccord and now DeBrouwer). Finally, in addition to the allure of the sunny SWUS for 18 year olds, Powers is also having some success with older transfers. Impressive!

Comment

Dennis Cesana is leading the team's defense in points ... how good is he on defense? skating? is he NHL-material maybe?

Comment

Working...
                                X