Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67

Thread: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489

    Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Suppose itís about that time. The 2019-20 season has finally arrived 2 weeks ago!

    Summary so far:
    Good goaltending
    Decent defense
    Maybe not good offense.
    Definitely not good powerplay

    New shuffle, though! Helmets now. Iíve been saying that we needed a change from the puck shuffle for years.

  2. #2
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    253

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    New shuffle, though! Helmets now. I’ve been saying that we needed a change from the puck shuffle for years.
    This is a major upgrade. Actually got it wrong during Western Ontario game. Puck shuffle was way too easy.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    154

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Suppose itís about that time. The 2019-20 season has finally arrived 2 weeks ago!

    Summary so far:
    Good goaltending
    Decent defense
    Maybe not good offense.
    Definitely not good powerplay

    New shuffle, though! Helmets now. Iíve been saying that we needed a change from the puck shuffle for years.
    Your summary is quite on point. Looking forward to this weekend's games. I don't know much about CC, except that interestingly Mike Vernon's son is a frosh goalie there. That having been said, in an equally small sample size to MSU's season, thus far CC has ridden Northeastern grad transfer Ryan Ruck in net.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Your summary is quite on point. Looking forward to this weekend's games. I don't know much about CC, except that interestingly Mike Vernon's son is a frosh goalie there. That having been said, in an equally small sample size to MSU's season, thus far CC has ridden Northeastern grad transfer Ryan Ruck in net.
    He apparently was in net for Northeastern those games they beat us. I recall the later Anastos years we had a game at NE to finish off the first half. We needed a win bad and a game against an awful, 2 win NE squad seemed the perfect way to go into Christmas on a high note. They beat us and proceeded to go 19-2 the rest of the year. They came to Munn the following year and thumped us.

    Anyway, hopefully we score more on this guy than the other times we played him.

  5. #5
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Looks like the game will be on Dish tonight 412-30. Probably on Direct TV if on Dish.

  6. #6
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    253

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    All in all seems like not a bad weekend. Got a split on the road. Jumped on them Saturday with 3 early goals and then kept it up rest of game winning 5-1. Scoring is coming from more than just the top line this year so far which is promising. Although hopefully the top line does score a little more frequently going forward. Didn't watch either game so I can't comment on individual play. Big home weekend coming up with Cornell coming to town.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by gomsuman View Post
    All in all seems like not a bad weekend. Got a split on the road. Jumped on them Saturday with 3 early goals and then kept it up rest of game winning 5-1. Scoring is coming from more than just the top line this year so far which is promising. Although hopefully the top line does score a little more frequently going forward. Didn't watch either game so I can't comment on individual play. Big home weekend coming up with Cornell coming to town.
    Agreed. The scoring droughts are concerning but Saturday was good to see and I like seeing the defense get involved in scoring. Itís great to see us continuing to keep goals against down.

    Cornell is probably gonna be a real grind for us. They swatted the U-18ís away fairly easily. I know we managed to sweep them last year but I think weíre a different team in many ways than last year even though personnel is mostly the same.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Oh! Also, lines were different Saturday. Lewandowski and Saliba swapped spots. Will be interesting to see if that is maintained. Based on production from the forwards thus far, I see no reason not to begin moving pieces around.

  9. #9
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    253

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Oh! Also, lines were different Saturday. Lewandowski and Saliba swapped spots. Will be interesting to see if that is maintained. Based on production from the forwards thus far, I see no reason not to begin moving pieces around.
    I did not notice that. Interesting. Wonder if it will continue..

  10. #10
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Agreed. The scoring droughts are concerning but Saturday was good to see and I like seeing the defense get involved in scoring. Itís great to see us continuing to keep goals against down.

    Cornell is probably gonna be a real grind for us. They swatted the U-18ís away fairly easily. I know we managed to sweep them last year but I think weíre a different team in many ways than last year even though personnel is mostly the same.
    The advantage we have is the same we had last year...this will be Cornellís first real games after 2 exhibitions.

  11. #11
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,005

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    MSU picked up a verbal of a top 16 year old forward Nikita Tarasevich. https://mihockey.com/2019/10/recruit...ichigan-state/

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    154

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    MSU picked up a verbal of a top 16 year old forward Nikita Tarasevich. https://mihockey.com/2019/10/recruit...ichigan-state/
    Neutral Zone has Tarasevich as a 4.5 star recruit and here's a short blurb they tweeted about him:

    4.5⭐️Nikita Tarasevich to Michigan St. Strong, quick & difficult to defend. 2003 works to get to the net & can do it w/skill or strength. Patient & makes smart passes. Quick release with the snarl to play in tough areas. Three zone F w/high ceiling.

    Sounds like a huge recruiting win for Cole and hopefully a sign of many more to come.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Neutral Zone has Tarasevich as a 4.5 star recruit and here's a short blurb they tweeted about him:

    4.5⭐️Nikita Tarasevich to Michigan St. Strong, quick & difficult to defend. 2003 works to get to the net & can do it w/skill or strength. Patient & makes smart passes. Quick release with the snarl to play in tough areas. Three zone F w/high ceiling.

    Sounds like a huge recruiting win for Cole and hopefully a sign of many more to come.
    Nice! We desperately need players like this. Now all we have to do is hold onto him.

    Anyways, Iím not sure if this was mentioned in the old thread but apparently Munn will begin selling beer for the games starting this weekend. Iíll definitely be having a couple to celebrate but an $8 pint of Labatt probably wonít be on my on my radar for long.

    At least, thatís my predicted price.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    The beer was a fake rumor.

    As for the game, we played well enough to win but for an unacceptable number of penalties.

    I thought the powerplay looked pretty good at times so that is nice.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    154

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    As for the game, we played well enough to win but for an unacceptable number of penalties.
    Poorly officiated game or compensating for being outplayed? Or both? Now that Cornell presumably has their bus legs back under them (well, other than the goal-scoring Russian who got to fly), we'll see if the Spartans can apply the lessons learned yesterday and improve upon a good performance. Time for a statement game from DeRidder.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Poorly officiated game or compensating for being outplayed? Or both? Now that Cornell presumably has their bus legs back under them (well, other than the goal-scoring Russian who got to fly), we'll see if the Spartans can apply the lessons learned yesterday and improve upon a good performance. Time for a statement game from DeRidder.
    Iíd lean towards the first as most of our penalties came in the first period when Cornell was noticeably disjointed. Even strength they were on their heels and our parade to the box bailed them out. They definitely got their legs and timing under them by the third period, though.

    But we canít blame the refs as we had a good number of powerplays of our own. A few of our penalties were definitely of the dumb and selfish variety, as well.

    Nevertheless, I think we were much better than either of the exhibitions I witnessed in person. As long as we donít take a step back tonight I think this will be a weekend to continue building upon.

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post

    Nevertheless, I think we were much better than either of the exhibitions I witnessed in person. As long as we donít take a step back tonight I think this will be a weekend to continue building upon.
    Well Iíd say getting the wheels beaten off of us counts as taking a step back.

    Cornell is good. Weíre not on their level so hopefully that 5 ranking is accurate.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    154

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Well Iíd say getting the wheels beaten off of us counts as taking a step back.

    Cornell is good. Weíre not on their level so hopefully that 5 ranking is accurate.
    Yeah, you beat me to it. I guess I jinxed things because Cornell certainly got much stronger the further removed from the long bus ride, and DeRidder definitely didn't make any statement with that performance. Time to regroup and beat those teams that are at our level.

  19. #19
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,984

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    This team is in deep trouble if discipline issues continue. Small sample size, but once again we're in the bottom 10 of the PK. And when matched with six penalties a game, that's not a good combination.

    Credit to Cornell for placing the puck where they did, but there's no excuse for a wrist shot from the blue line to make its way into the net, nor their (I think) final goal that went top corner with zero angle. Lethemon needs to cut that off.

    On the plus side, the PK continues to look good. Unfortunately that was the only way we scored this weekend.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    This team is in deep trouble if discipline issues continue. Small sample size, but once again we're in the bottom 10 of the PK. And when matched with six penalties a game, that's not a good combination.

    Credit to Cornell for placing the puck where they did, but there's no excuse for a wrist shot from the blue line to make its way into the net, nor their (I think) final goal that went top corner with zero angle. Lethemon needs to cut that off.

    On the plus side, the PK continues to look good. Unfortunately that was the only way we scored this weekend.
    I had that thought after 3 straight penalties in the last 10 minutes put away any aspirations of making the game even slightly exciting. We gotta be close to the most penalized team in the country subtracting out any other teamsí line brawl shenanigans if they happened.

    The Krygiers are pretty bad about this. Fortunately, I do feel their play on the ice has taken a step forward this season. They gotta get those roughing and elbowing penalties under control.

    Note: Iím not sure if one is worse than the other so Iím lumping them in as one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •