Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 151

Thread: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

  1. #41
    Hockey fan with an MSU bias
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    254

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Oh wow, look at this. Right on cue :
    https://msuspartans.com/news/2019/11...r-2020-21.aspx
    All seem like relatively good additions. I assume more are to come in the future with all the seniors graduating.

    Big weekend coming up. I hope this team is good enough to take at least 3 points at home from a very good ND team.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    506

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Well, ND is still ND. Definitely one of the toughest teams to play against in the country. Theyíre just so rock solid everywhere and never seem to make mistakes.

    But still, we were so close to that sweet W. I thought we played marvelous defense the entire 3rd period and that tying goal really took the wind out of us. Felt like we had to desperately hang on to get to the 2nd OT and secure a point. If we get any points tomorrow I will consider this weekend a grand success.

    Great game again by Lethemon. Heís a beauty.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.

  3. #43
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    8,131

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Given the quick ND goal, and then literally not having offense for the first 13 minutes of the 3rd, that was not the result I expected. Especially against Notre Dame, who I think are just the college version of the 90s Devils.

    I'm still not sure how Lambdin scored the second goal. I didn't think it was possible to snipe Morris. And this team must've gotten pelted with pucks all summer practicing tips in front of the net. They were trying last year with some success, but now it's a legit threat.

    Biggest con of the night was the PP. Would've been better off declining penalties tonight. There are inept PPs, but tonight was a case of a team somehow getting better on defense during the PK. Don't get how it happens, but it made for an ugly four minutes of gameplay.

    But, no reason to be negative tonight. 90 seconds from a sweep, and took 4/6 from the #3 team in the country, and 3rd in the Big Ten, with the most points of any team with six games played in conference. Somehow sweep next week and MSU will find themselves in first place.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  4. #44
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    7,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Given the quick ND goal, and then literally not having offense for the first 13 minutes of the 3rd, that was not the result I expected. Especially against Notre Dame, who I think are just the college version of the 90s Devils.

    I'm still not sure how Lambdin scored the second goal. I didn't think it was possible to snipe Morris. And this team must've gotten pelted with pucks all summer practicing tips in front of the net. They were trying last year with some success, but now it's a legit threat.

    Biggest con of the night was the PP. Would've been better off declining penalties tonight. There are inept PPs, but tonight was a case of a team somehow getting better on defense during the PK. Don't get how it happens, but it made for an ugly four minutes of gameplay.

    But, no reason to be negative tonight. 90 seconds from a sweep, and took 4/6 from the #3 team in the country, and 3rd in the Big Ten, with the most points of any team with six games played in conference. Somehow sweep next week and MSU will find themselves in first place.
    Biggest regular season win since ? (Come-from behind style). Amazing how one guy's skate n score can energize a team to that degree.

    Ok Spartans, now you REALLY have my attention.
    Last edited by owslachief; 11-24-2019 at 10:47 AM.

  5. #45
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    8,131
    Quote Originally Posted by owslachief View Post
    Biggest regular season win since ? (Come-from behind style). Amazing how one guy's skate n score can energize a team to that degree.

    Ok Spartans, now you REALLY have my attention.
    I thought the sweep at Cornell last year was going to be a jump start, but things kind of unraveled after that.

    That crazy OSU comeback last year ended in a 7-7 tie (with a 3x3 win), but that was the most electric Iíve seen Munn sans Michigan games. Since there were only about 3k fans left after OSU went up 7-4, I donít know if that per-fan energy will be matched again.

    As far as biggest come from behind? I canít remember too many. Quite honestly, the answer might be last week. Two down at Yost and still getting the W may have been the trigger this team needed.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Really, really glad to see Lethemon take ownership of the starting role in net. I'm not a fan of the goalie platoon system. I think we go as far as Lethemon takes us. This just isn't a sufficiently high-scoring offense, so we've got to win it with goaltending and defense. Both facets continue to exceed my expectations.

  7. #47
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    506

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Not sure what else to add here. Every season usually has at least 1 home game that leaves you completely elated and that one certainly counts as that. Most of third period was very typical MSU vs. ND with ND leading and putting an absolute stranglehold on an MSU team that lacks firepower. Lambdinís streak down the right side and score was as much a shot of adrenaline Iíve ever seen a team and crowd receive. The game completely flipped and suddenly we were flying when a minute
    previous I was thinking how I had read this book so many times before.

    Defensively, weíve become legitimately great with Lethemon backing us up. Sometimes I wish we were a little more aggressive like ND pressuring guys with the puck but we clog the middle and block shots/passes as well as any team in the country, Iíd bet.

    OSUís next and they just came off a big win of their own. I wish itíd get easier for a weekend or two but itís not the old CCHA anymore.

    Great student section, btw. They should keep those light sabres. It looked awesome and gives context to all the dorky hand motions they do.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    8,317
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I thought the sweep at Cornell last year was going to be a jump start, but things kind of unraveled after that.

    That crazy OSU comeback last year ended in a 7-7 tie (with a 3x3 win), but that was the most electric Iíve seen Munn sans Michigan games. Since there were only about 3k fans left after OSU went up 7-4, I donít know if that per-fan energy will be matched again.

    As far as biggest come from behind? I canít remember too many. Quite honestly, the answer might be last week. Two down at Yost and still getting the W may have been the trigger this team needed.
    Cornell fans often discussed what might have been last year had we not dropped our first two games to MSU. Seems like that situation might be reversed this year. Flip those two results and MSU is sitting in 5th in PWR (with Cornell dropping to 8th).

  9. #49
    occupe toi de tes oignons owslachief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Lansing
    Posts
    7,267

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I thought the sweep at Cornell last year was going to be a jump start, but things kind of unraveled after that.

    That crazy OSU comeback last year ended in a 7-7 tie (with a 3x3 win), but that was the most electric Iíve seen Munn sans Michigan games. Since there were only about 3k fans left after OSU went up 7-4, I donít know if that per-fan energy will be matched again.

    As far as biggest come from behind? I canít remember too many. Quite honestly, the answer might be last week. Two down at Yost and still getting the W may have been the trigger this team needed.
    Pretty important though because here we are down in the 3rd period, and I'm getting that feeling that it's becoming yet another frustrating slog through a ND neutral zone-focused D that's led to a few years of frustration against them, when they have the lead. But thankfully Nodler showed some creativity, and Lambdin can skate.

    Maybe Morris got too little work the first several minutes and wasn't quite prepared for the shot.

    On Charleson; those are some gaudy numbers. And, it's evident the guy wins championships. Looking good for the first wave of signings.

  10. #50
    Section T since 1978
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    DeWitt, MI, USA
    Posts
    1,013

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    To me there are a couple of things that are different this year and that are leading to success (at least lately).
    Our defense is vastly improved. Last year we were breaking in 3 new guys and it showed.
    Last year we were a one line team, this year we have a second scoring line. ND was able to shut down our top line, but not the 2nd which scored all 4 goals against ND.

    I have no illusions. We donít have the talent of a frozen four team yet, but are much better than when Cole took over. Iím hoping for another 6 league points over the next two weeks. And hey if we can start 2020 above .500 that would be even better.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by wsummers View Post
    To me there are a couple of things that are different this year and that are leading to success (at least lately).
    Our defense is vastly improved. Last year we were breaking in 3 new guys and it showed.
    Last year we were a one line team, this year we have a second scoring line. ND was able to shut down our top line, but not the 2nd which scored all 4 goals against ND.

    I have no illusions. We donít have the talent of a frozen four team yet, but are much better than when Cole took over. Iím hoping for another 6 league points over the next two weeks. And hey if we can start 2020 above .500 that would be even better.
    I agree with all of this. But while we technically have scoring depth, we still donít have a ton of firepower. So while optimistic, I think this team goes as far as Lethemon will carry them. I donít mean that itís all on him, as the team In front of him has been and likely will continue to play very good defense, but if he goes into a slump I doubt weíll be able to outscore many teams.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,049

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Looking forward to you guys coming to Columbus this weekend. Don't know if Nappier will be in net, no word about what injury he had Saturday at Penn State but no love lost on Tommy from you guys.
    I watched him take an obvious dive right in front of me last season at the Saturday game in East Lansing and the stupid ref bought it and we were already on the PP!
    Don't know if I ever heard a goalie get booed & cat called so much before! LOL! There was a great shot of the students all flipping him off that made social media.

  13. #53
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    8,131

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    20th in USCHO and 16th (technically ORV) in USA Today. I believe itís the first time the Spartans have been ranked since 2012.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    Looking forward to you guys coming to Columbus this weekend. Don't know if Nappier will be in net, no word about what injury he had Saturday at Penn State but no love lost on Tommy from you guys.
    I watched him take an obvious dive right in front of me last season at the Saturday game in East Lansing and the stupid ref bought it and we were already on the PP!
    Don't know if I ever heard a goalie get booed & cat called so much before! LOL! There was a great shot of the students all flipping him off that made social media.
    Oh geez I forgot about that. The game was well in hand for you guys at that point as well so it felt especially egregious.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    506

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Just as an interesting bit of info, it was mentioned last weekend in the form of a trivia question that Austin Kamer currently has a 4.0 GPA in Chemical Engineering. Extremely impressive.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,049

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Oh geez I forgot about that. The game was well in hand for you guys at that point as well so it felt especially egregious.
    Yeah, it was a kind of kick em when they're down thing but you have to fault the zebra as much as Nappier.
    With the entertainment and movies out there these days the refs are just used to bad acting.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    189

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Pretty much the outcome I was expecting, a defensive slugfest. When I learned that Nappier was sitting out the first game, I was hoping for at least a split. No such luck. Good news is that Lethemon and the defense continue to impress. However, the lack of scoring is a constant theme.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,049

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Seemed strange to see a Joshua wearing green & white. Lucky for us he's not at the level his brother Dakota was!

  19. #59
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    8,131

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
    Pretty much the outcome I was expecting, a defensive slugfest. When I learned that Nappier was sitting out the first game, I was hoping for at least a split. No such luck. Good news is that Lethemon and the defense continue to impress. However, the lack of scoring is a constant theme.
    Unfortunate that our PP has disappeared. We have played two excellent defensive teams the last two weeks, but still need to do better than 0fer.

    Get the Badgers next week. Two winnable games.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  20. #60
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    506

    Re: Michigan State 2019-2020 Season Thread

    Watched the game today and the result felt about right.

    If you would have told me that Lethemon would allow a total of 3 goals this weekend Iíd have felt very good about our chances. Our GA #ms have been great lately but this highlights the fact that Cole absolutely must recruit more firepower. We canít hope to ever win a championship if the offense disappears for entire weekends no matter how stout the D and goaltending are.

    Notre Dame got punked by Bowling Green this weekend and Minny by Nodak. Notre Dame is a good team, and so is Ohio State. MSU might be something approaching good, but I donít think the B1G will have what it takes come NCAA tournament time.
    Last edited by Pirateasaur; 12-01-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •