Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Tough loss to Middlebury Friday night. In all honesty, I wasn't sure what to post after that game, because I did not see much that was positive to talk about and felt Norwich didn't deserve to win. However, Middlebury played well against Eau Claire also and almost tied them in the 3rd period. The Eau Claire team is in the top of their division too, so maybe Middlebury is better than we all thought? They certainly looked better than I have seen them play in the last couple of years. I also felt Norwich was slow on the ice Saturday against Plattsburgh. I am not sure what coach said during the second intermission, but the Cadets came into the 3rd with a bit of fire and energy. I know the guys were a little beat up and sore from the UMB game, and they have a few out with injuries, but I just didn't see the energy I saw with UNE and NEC.

Norwich's defense is rated #1 in the country. A total of 7 goals against and 5 out of 9 games being shut outs is the proof of how good it really is. Our offense on the other hand, even in the games won, is almost as bad as the defense is good. In 9 games, the Cadets have scored over 2 goals in only 4 games. Lack of a coordinated offense could be due to many factors such as line changes, injuries, a good freshman class who are learning the system, and the fact that it is only the first half of the season (albeit 3 games shy of the end of the first half). What I can't make sense of is why in the early games of the season, the offense looked like they had be playing together all summer, even the new recruits! Yet a game later (and in subsequent games), they look like it was the first time they have ever played. Our offense has great talent on it, both in the veterans and the recruits, but they are having frequent trouble with passing and getting out of the defensive zone. Is it possible that they expend so much energy on defense that the offense is taking the back seat? Or, is it that college hockey is not the same as it use to be, all teams are getting better and the games are that much more competitive? I can point out what I think is going wrong, but I am no coach, and I can't come up with a way to fix it. I am very confident that these issues will be addressed and corrected by Coach Ellsworth. Just like last season, he has been looking at different combos on the lines, until he feels confident in the groupings and guys recover from injuries. Just like last year, we have a very talented and deep bench, with all players giving 100% and deserving to start a game. Finally, it really is true that it's not how you start the season, it is how you end it. They have had a very decent start and I am sure they will kick the offense into sync soon.

As I said, I am not a coach or a former player. I only played with my family and friends on the ice of Lake Champlain. At the young age of 6, I spent Saturday nights watching the Canadians play on TV with my Dad, and he installed in me the love of the game. Once hockey became an interscholastic sport in my Junior year, I went to all my high school games. After college, I moved back to Plattsburgh and became a Cardinal fan, one that went on frequent road trips to Oswego and to a National Championship in Massachusetts. I finally moved to Barre, Vt in the late 80's and went to a Norwich vs Plattsburgh game in Northfield in the winter of `93. I went there thinking that Plattsburgh was still my #1 team. It took only 1 period for me to realize that Norwich was the better team and worthy of my of my devotion. Actually, they "had me" at the National Anthem by standing proud and tall, absolutely still while the Cardinals shuffled their feet. Again, I followed this team on the road, Dartmouth, Castleton, Middlebury, Plattsburgh and a few National Championship games in Lake Placid! I was hooked and it has been a wonderful 30+ years of hockey. I may find fault with the team's play, but I couldn't be prouder of the team. I will always cheer them on and wish that I could be in the seats of Kreitzberg yelling my lungs out. Stay positive Cadets, it will come.

I would be interested in hearing other fan's thoughts about the play of the team and specifically the PrimeLink tournament. I would love this site to be more active and I will never be too old to learn something new about the game or the team.
    Last edited by 17'sfanNU; 12-02-2019, 08:47 PM.
    There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

To your last point, 17, maybe this thread is the better place for the rivalry discussion I tried to get going with Georgia Peach in the Primelink thread after the Middlebury loss.

As for the team, UWSP accomplished something that no one else had last year, and that's an undefeated season capped by a National Championship. For this team I think we all believe that they can finish what they came so close to achieving last year. The talent is most certainly there, and now the experience is to. But, they were always probably going to lose a couple this year, it just sucks that the first one happens to be against Middlebury. I guess it's good for a stagnant rivalry, but I've been enjoying watching Norwich close the gap in the overall series year after year.

Didn't watch the Primelink, but I listened to George on the radio while I grilled out in my backyard here in the West Texan desert. Sounds like the team was slower and a bit sloppy this past weekend. While that is a bit concerning, Coach Ellsworth has my complete confidence after last year that he will get it turned around. His mantra of playing your best hockey in March, not November, is great for us to keep in mind. As good and as talented as this team is, I don't think I mind them having a few things that need sharpening early on. It'll prepare them for March.
      Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

I agree with you Pastime, it did stink to loss against Middlebury and closing the "gap" with them, would have been nice. However, it is nice that the "elephant is now out of the room", or the "bulls eye is off of the Cadet's backs". Hope the team has healed up from a couple of weekends worth of hard play, and are relaxed enough to hit the ice and have some fun against Castleton tonight. Go Norwich!

Comment

The only thing worse than losing to Middlebury is losing to Castleton.(insert excessively loud swear word here)!

Comment

Am I being a Homer, or did the ref not call numerous holds on the Castleton team? Yes I am disappointed but I really think it was not a well called game.

Comment

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
              The only thing worse than losing to Middlebury is losing to Castleton.(insert excessively loud swear word here)!
              8-2.

Losses to Middlebury and Castleton.

That is a painful sentence to type.
              Norwich '13

Comment

Hockey sure can be a weird game.
                Castleton goalie and shot blockers stand on their heads in a 2-1 win over the Cadets one night ...
                The next afternoon...same guy between the pipes (at least to start) ... St. Mike's blows out the Spartans 7-0
                What to what is with that ???

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                  8-2.

Losses to Middlebury and Castleton.

That is a painful sentence to type.
                  Also painful to read
                  Steve Day(NU71)
                  Go Cadets

Comment

Anyone have updates on downs, Boucher, borduas?

Comment

• Originally posted by 802Hockey View Post
                      Anyone have updates on downs, Boucher, borduas?
                      I don’t.

Unrelated/unimportant thought: I wish both programs (men and women) wouldn’t always “commit” to a sweater for the weekend. I love the golds, but it would have been cool to see them last night, and maybe the whites tonight. I want the “alternate” jersey to be more of a “special” thing (I.E. the Red Sox wear red at home, on Friday).

As far as NU Pastime and his white/maroon thoughts, my “sources” say the maroons are good as gone. Expect to see home = white, gold, grey camo; road = green camo, maybe gold

Comment

• Re: Norwich Hockey 2019-2020 ... The Road to Buffalo

Originally posted by KrbFlint View Post
                        I don’t.

Unrelated/unimportant thought: I wish both programs (men and women) wouldn’t always “commit” to a sweater for the weekend. I love the golds, but it would have been cool to see them last night, and maybe the whites tonight. I want the “alternate” jersey to be more of a “special” thing (I.E. the Red Sox wear red at home, on Friday).

As far as NU Pastime and his white/maroon thoughts, my “sources” say the maroons are good as gone. Expect to see home = white, gold, grey camo; road = green camo, maybe gold
                        Why? Granted, I'm not up with the younger kids (I'm not as old as I sound!) and the recruiting trends and what the kids are saying they like (which is a big caveat), but no one I've talked to likes the camos. What's the obsession? Marketing as a military school?

As for the team. I'm frustrated but not worried. This team is just struggling to put the puck in the back of the net. I don't know why. They've been out-playing and out-shooting everyone. The talent is there. I just think it's a stretch of bad luck - 2nd period tonight being a prime example. We're a bit frustrated and perplexed right now, but at the end of the day we're 9-2-1. Have to think that the shots are going to start falling eventually. If you're giving up <1 goal a game, good things are going to happen.
                        Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                          Why? Granted, I'm not up with the younger kids (I'm not as old as I sound!) and the recruiting trends and what the kids are saying they like (which is a big caveat), but no one I've talked to likes the camos. What's the obsession? Marketing as a military school?

As for the team. I'm frustrated but not worried. This team is just struggling to put the puck in the back of the net. I don't know why. They've been out-playing and out-shooting everyone. The talent is there. I just think it's a stretch of bad luck - 2nd period tonight being a prime example. We're a bit frustrated and perplexed right now, but at the end of the day we're 9-2-1. Have to think that the shots are going to start falling eventually. If you're giving up <1 goal a game, good things are going to happen.
                          The material for the maroon jerseys is not of the same caliber as the other ones and I think that’s the biggest reason why the team didn’t like wearing them. I think they also lost a game or two in them early last year and you know how superstitions go in sports...

Hopefully they’ll get a maroon back at some point in the rotation.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            The material for the maroon jerseys is not of the same caliber as the other ones and I think that’s the biggest reason why the team didn’t like wearing them. I think they also lost a game or two in them early last year and you know how superstitions go in sports...

Hopefully they’ll get a maroon back at some point in the rotation.
                            I totally hate the camos. Looks like the team is going deer hunting. In general I dislike the whole idea of alternate uniforms. You are compromising your basic branding. Now in the pro ranks, the alternate unis are a marketing tool - the more different jerseys you have, the more sales opportunities you have for jersey buyers, but at the college level, especially DIII, nobody makes a lot of money that way. Pick a home jersey and a road jersey and be done with it. I did think the gold looked really sharp, but the old maroon jerseys for the away games were a long, long tradition. If the material for those is not up to standards, pick a new supplier.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              I totally hate the camos. Looks like the team is going deer hunting. In general I dislike the whole idea of alternate uniforms. You are compromising your basic branding. Now in the pro ranks, the alternate unis are a marketing tool - the more different jerseys you have, the more sales opportunities you have for jersey buyers, but at the college level, especially DIII, nobody makes a lot of money that way. Pick a home jersey and a road jersey and be done with it. I did think the gold looked really sharp, but the old maroon jerseys for the away games were a long, long tradition. If the material for those is not up to standards, pick a new supplier.
                              Totally agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                                I hate the grey (home) camos; it doesn’t have a military appearance. As you said, looks more like hunting. I do, however, like the green (road) camos. The “current” maroons were junk. Cheap feel, cheap look. Not on par with all the other (white, grey camo, green camo, “throwback”, gold) sweaters. Perhaps the maroon will come back if a better the product is available, but I doubt money will be spent to replace a shirt which is only a few years old.

I disagree, to a certain extent, in terms of your take on marketing. Recruiting is marketing your program. Recruits want stuff like that. There’s a reason they put a big, backlit, logo in the locker room this year.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it doesn’t matter what we think about the jerseys (saying this to myself as well), and the jerseys don’t matter if the product on the ice is good!

This comes from a place of love and support, but I find it funny that the sports with the least amount of members in the Corps wear the most camo. Always makes me chuckle.
                                Last edited by KrbFlint; 01-05-2020, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X