Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 249

Thread: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in March..

  1. #201
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Disappointing night, but all streaks must end at some point. Hopefully they are able to regroup and come out tomorrow night and get the W. They have really struggled since the calendar turned over...
    Back on track

  2. #202
    Fighting Sioux Fan Forever
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Much better on Saturday but still didn't quite seem like the pre-break team. I thought the passing on Friday was terrible and improved Saturday. And the pipes were Scheel's friend. Pretty bold of Brad to make the line-up changes that he did, and the guys - Rieger, Johnson and Keene - played a great game.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

  3. #203
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,837

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    I don't intend to pee in anyone's Cheerios, but I think the team we saw this weekend could be the team we see the rest of the year. They will battle you, they will win some games, but they aren't going to be a 16-1-2 team. Before the second half started I kind of expected we'd be looking at something like a 9-9 or 10-8 or 9-8-1 second half of the season. I just thought (and still think) there are too many instances where I expect to see a slight drop off in offensive production in the second half, and not enough where we will see an uptick. Do we really think Bowen will score 6 more goals this year? I think we'll see a slight drop off from Pinto, as frequently happens with freshmen, especially ones who go play the WJC. Maybe other guys like Adams or Smith.

    You could see a couple of guys have a better second half. I think Mismash is a prime candidate, for instance. But I don't see this team popping 4+ goals a game the rest of the way. Hope I'm wrong.

    Honestly, if you'd told me before the season started they would finish the regular seasons with 23-25 wins, and a top three finish in the regular season, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat with this team. It'll easily put them in the tournament, will give the first round NCHC games at home and a good chance to head to St. Paul for the Frozen Faceoff without all of the handwringing over "bubble status."
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  4. #204
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar


  5. #205
    Fighting Sioux Fan Forever
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I don't intend to pee in anyone's Cheerios, but I think the team we saw this weekend could be the team we see the rest of the year. They will battle you, they will win some games, but they aren't going to be a 16-1-2 team. Before the second half started I kind of expected we'd be looking at something like a 9-9 or 10-8 or 9-8-1 second half of the season. I just thought (and still think) there are too many instances where I expect to see a slight drop off in offensive production in the second half, and not enough where we will see an uptick. Do we really think Bowen will score 6 more goals this year? I think we'll see a slight drop off from Pinto, as frequently happens with freshmen, especially ones who go play the WJC. Maybe other guys like Adams or Smith.

    You could see a couple of guys have a better second half. I think Mismash is a prime candidate, for instance. But I don't see this team popping 4+ goals a game the rest of the way. Hope I'm wrong.

    Honestly, if you'd told me before the season started they would finish the regular seasons with 23-25 wins, and a top three finish in the regular season, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat with this team. It'll easily put them in the tournament, will give the first round NCHC games at home and a good chance to head to St. Paul for the Frozen Faceoff without all of the handwringing over "bubble status."
    Based on the first four games this year, I don't see them getting close to the first half record. But I think you are being a little too pessimistic. I told a couple friends that after last weekend a 10-6 record would get them in the tournament. They both said the team would have a better record than that. I think 10-6 looks realistic.

    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    He could turn out to be a great player. Lots of Toews in this kid.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

  6. #206
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Sioux have now scored more goals this year than all of last year and with their win tonight they now have matched last years win total of 18

  7. #207

    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    8,725

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    Sioux have now scored more goals this year than all of last year and with their win tonight they now have matched last years win total of 18
    Looking a little concerning in the new year.

  8. #208
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by omahasioux1 View Post
    Looking a little concerning in the new year.
    Nah. Anytime you take 5 of 6 points on the road after spotting them 2 goals each night is a good thing. Last year they lose both. Now if they can somehow sweep UMD next weekend they would definitely be in the drivers seat for the Penrose Cup. They get swept then it will get interesting. A split no harm done

  9. #209
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    221

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Not that I put big value in polls, and I don't want to sound whiny (well, gonna sound whiny no matter), but I'm hoping for insights: how did UND not climb in the rankings? Top PW, top RPI, top team stats, and top of arguably the most difficult league. All things you can't say about this week's #1 pick. ??? OK, I'll shut up.

  10. #210
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    7,837

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Quote Originally Posted by bik4u62 View Post
    Not that I put big value in polls, and I don't want to sound whiny (well, gonna sound whiny no matter), but I'm hoping for insights: how did UND not climb in the rankings? Top PW, top RPI, top team stats, and top of arguably the most difficult league. All things you can't say about this week's #1 pick. ??? OK, I'll shut up.
    If you look at the numbers, both UND and Cornell fell, at least relative to a couple of teams behind them like Mankato and BC.

    Cornell and UND had the same number of points last week. This week UND fell just a couple of points behind Cornell. I could see how that happened. They tied and won on the road against a team down quite a ways in the pairwise, while Cornell tied and won against a team in the top 20 of the pairwise, NMU.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  11. #211
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    221

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    If you look at the numbers, both UND and Cornell fell, at least relative to a couple of teams behind them like Mankato and BC.
    I suppose - thanks SJ. I thought the polls gave more-than-token-weight to intangibles over just pure numbers; ie league standing, strength of league, goals in critical moments, etc. I'll take off the homer glasses and look again.

  12. #212
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south sioux city, ne
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Quote Originally Posted by bik4u62 View Post
    I suppose - thanks SJ. I thought the polls gave more-than-token-weight to intangibles over just pure numbers; ie league standing, strength of league, goals in critical moments, etc. I'll take off the homer glasses and look again.
    I think by this point in the year, the polls are pretty much, "Hey, what's Pairwise say? OK, put me down for that."

  13. #213
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by bik4u62 View Post
    Not that I put big value in polls, and I don't want to sound whiny (well, gonna sound whiny no matter), but I'm hoping for insights: how did UND not climb in the rankings? Top PW, top RPI, top team stats, and top of arguably the most difficult league. All things you can't say about this week's #1 pick. ??? OK, I'll shut up.
    Polls are nothing more than a conversation piece. They really mean nothing. Just be in the top 12 pairwise when the tourney comes around

  14. #214
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,364

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    This time of year, I tend to look at PW as a kind of savings account balance statement. Do you have enough cash reserve to cover unanticipated losses so you can stay in the game when the time comes. It's nice to be at the top for that reason. The floor can come up to meet you pretty quickly with some costly losses.
    Last edited by burd; 01-22-2020 at 08:13 AM.

  15. #215
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    221

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Quote Originally Posted by bik4u62 View Post
    Not that I put big value in polls, and I don't want to sound whiny (well, gonna sound whiny no matter), but I'm hoping for insights: how did UND not climb in the rankings? Top PW, top RPI, top team stats, and top of arguably the most difficult league. All things you can't say about this week's #1 pick. ??? OK, I'll shut up.
    Well, that shut me up.

    How many breakaways?

  16. #216
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by bik4u62 View Post
    Well, that shut me up.

    How many breakaways?
    To many to count. D pinched at the wrong times resulting in said breakaways. Scheel is a shell of himself right now. Talk about night and day before the break

  17. #217

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Quote Originally Posted by icehawk View Post
    To many to count. D pinched at the wrong times resulting in said breakaways. Scheel is a shell of himself right now. Talk about night and day before the break
    Yeah, they have really struggled in their own end since the turn of the calendar. I saw a stat on Brad Schlossman's twitter: North Dakota allowed 27 goals in the first half of the season. They have allowed 25 goals thus far in January (with two games left to play). Pretty ****ing evidence that it has indeed been night and day since the break.
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  18. #218

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    Gutsy, and much needed, victory tonight. One of the best regular season college hockey games I've seen in awhile. Thome did not play great, but he played well and came up with a few big saves. Defensively, a much better outing than last night. After Duluth scored back-to-back goals to grab the lead, this team (and many across the country, and almost certain UND's squads the last couple years) could have let it drown them the rest of the game. Instead they stepped up, scored their own set of goals to get the W.

    Big win. 19-3-3. 6 point lead over DU in the NCHC. #1 in the Pairwise. Good night!

    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

  19. #219
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hockeytown,USA
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
    Gutsy, and much needed, victory tonight. One of the best regular season college hockey games I've seen in awhile. Thome did not play great, but he played well and came up with a few big saves. Defensively, a much better outing than last night. After Duluth scored back-to-back goals to grab the lead, this team (and many across the country, and almost certain UND's squads the last couple years) could have let it drown them the rest of the game. Instead they stepped up, scored their own set of goals to get the W.

    Big win. 19-3-3. 6 point lead over DU in the NCHC. #1 in the Pairwise. Good night!

    Didnít get to watch any of it last night as I had another commitment. Just what I expected. A split. Nice to see they came back after trailing by one in the third. Should get them back on track moving forward

  20. #220
    Fighting Sioux Fan Forever
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: University of North Dakota '19-'20 Season Thread - There's this Tournament in Mar

    I wasn't able to watch the games this weekend but watched a replay of Friday's game. Not good play by the D and Scheel let in three that I thought he could have stopped. There were lots of mistakes that the pre-break team didn't make. I haven't watched Saturday's game yet but it sounds like they played much better - hopefully a sign of things to come. Looks like Berry has a decision to make on who gets the start in goal going forward. Split the starts until one of them takes over the net? I would guess that both will play against CC. I will be at the Ralph for the Denver series. If Berry needs some help deciding I will be happy to offer my opinion.
    Believe it. Earn it. Raise it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. purpleinnebraska

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •