Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

With just a tad more than 48 hours to go before the puck drops on a new season, the time finally has come to open a new season thread for the defending Beanpot and Hockey East champions.

“Reload” isn’t a word often associated with the Boston collegiate hockey teams located south of Commonwealth Ave. but it certainly applies to Northeastern this year. Mainstays of the last two glory years like Lincoln Griffin, Brandon Hawkins, and Patrick Schule, not to mention the incomparable Jeremy Davies and Cayden Primeau have moved on, to be replaced by prized recruits like forwards Aiden McDonough, Riley Hughes, and Neil Shea along with defensemen Jayden Struble, Mike Kesselring, and Jeremy Bucheler, and goaltender Connor Murphy.

Augmenting the matriculating recruits are grad transfers Craig Pantano (Mack) in goal and Brendan Van Riemsdyk (UNH) up front. (Husky fans of a certain vintage are sure to have culture conflict over BVR but nothing that some early wins won’t fix.) Additionally, proven NU veterans like Ryan Shea and Matt Filipe should help balance the rookie potential with championship experience.

The big question during the offseason has been how to replace all-everything Primeau, the answer to which is…you don’t. But a presumably stronger, faster, more mobile defense should cut down on the number of shots that reach the Pantano/Murphy combination. NU hasn’t had much trouble scoring goals over the past two years and that should continue. But the newcomers up front, if they live up to expectations, should put the heat on some upperclassmen who skated regular shifts last year.

It shouldn’t take long to figure out where things stand. Although ranked 14/15 in the pre-season national polls and picked to finish fourth in the league, the Huskies play seven of their first 11 games against pre-season Top Ten teams, including #4 UMass (three times), #6 Providence (twice) and #7 St. Cloud (twice).
    Last edited by Split-N; 10-09-2019, 01:43 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    With just a tad more than 48 hours to go before the puck drops on a new season, the time finally has come to open a new season thread for the defending Beanpot and Hockey East champions.

“Reload” isn’t a word often associated with the Boston collegiate hockey teams located south of Commonwealth Ave. but it certainly applies to Northeastern this year. Mainstays of the last two glory years like Lincoln Griffin, Brandon Hawkins, and Patrick Schule, not to mention the incomparable Jeremy Davies and Cayden Primeau have moved on, to be replaced by prized recruits like forwards Aiden McDonough, Riley Hughes, and Neil Shea along with defensemen Jayden Struble, Mike Kesselring, and Jeremy Bucheler, and goaltender Connor Murphy.

Augmenting the matriculating recruits are grad transfers Craig Pantano (Mack) in goal and Brendan Van Riemsdyk (UNH) up front. (Husky fans of a certain vintage are sure to have culture conflict over BVR but nothing that some early wins won’t fix.) Additionally, proven NU veterans like Ryan Shea and Matt Filipe should help balance the rookie potential with championship experience.

The big question during the offseason has been how to replace all-everything Primeau, the answer to which is…you don’t. But a presumably stronger, faster, more mobile defense should cut down on the number of shots that reach the Pantano/Murphy combination. NU hasn’t had much trouble scoring goals over the past two years and that should continue. But the newcomers up front, if they live up to expectations, should put the heat on some upperclassmen who skated regular shifts last year.

It shouldn’t take long to figure out where things stand. Although ranked 14/15 in the pre-season national polls and picked to finish fourth in the league, the Huskies play seven of their first 11 games against pre-season Top Ten teams, including #4 UMass (three times), #6 Providence (twice) and #7 St. Cloud (twice).

Well done Split-N. Good summary pre puck drop.

All i can add is an old one to cheer the new goalie - Pantano should switch to Geico right away,
    you know.. so he can save more

Go Huskies
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Given Union's apparent offensive woes (five goals on 35 shots over two games last weekend), it would not surprise me to see Connor Murphy make his D1 debut in his home state sometime over the weekend. My guess is Pantano gets the Friday start and--if all goes well--Murphy gets the Saturday start.

Note: I don't have any inside information nor do I have any idea of what's been happening in practice. Just speculation on my part.

Comment

I will be attending both games this weekend. Based on the talent that it sounds like they have on offense and defense, it feels like they don't need amazing goaltending - 'moderately competent' may do just fine. We'll see.
        Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
          I will be attending both games this weekend. Based on the talent that it sounds like they have on offense and defense, it feels like they don't need amazing goaltending - 'moderately competent' may do just fine. We'll see.
          Enjoy the game/ games & hopefully the team gives you as much to talk about. If you get the chance after, pls come back and give us first impressions. Go NU
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I'm interested to see how JM stacks the lines. Does he go with a "big first line" 17-9-15 or does he put some of the proven returners with the young talent. I figured Union would be a good challenge before the big tests come, but they certainly did not look like that last weekend. Excited to see the newest version of Huskies, I think the ceiling could be a top 10 team with another tournament berth but the floor is an un-ranked .500 team who finishes 7th in Hockey East. It all depends on the goaltending and the freshmen.
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post
              I'll be at the game as well! Will be in section 3 with 2 other NU fans.

Comment

I'll be there for both games and doing a daytrip to Saratoga tomorrow morning, actually bummed about the 4pm start time on Saturday.
                Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                  I'm interested to see how JM stacks the lines...
                  Some surprises: Relatively unheralded Matt Demelis starts at RW on the first line; TJ Walsh RW on the 2nd line; Matt Thomson LW on the 3rd line; Jeremie Bucheler RD on 1st pairing; Tyler Spott LD on 3rd pairing. No signs of Jayden Struble (possible injury?) or Aiden McDonough.

https://***********/GoNUmhockey/stat...193473/photo/1
                  Last edited by Split-N; 10-11-2019, 05:50 PM.

Comment

2-1 final
                    Not sure what to make of the tight score over a slow starting Union team, but W on the road is what it is & let’s take it. Would like to hear from anyone that caught their first gm, thx.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Well we are 1 and 0. With a road win against a team I am really not so sure is good or bad, but I will take it. Union is 0 - 3 and was hammered by BU last week @ home 7 to 3. So I am a bit apprehensive. That said great to be alive and here with you all to follow our team in the only season that really matters in our hearts! Cheers see you Tuesday night at the barn!

Comment

Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Just got home from the game; I'm sure the blog will have a recap soon or a summary from both games sometime this week but here's a quick recap. (Warning, I'm tired from the long drive so please excuse any errors or mistakes!) NU started off slow and rusty in the first period making a lot of passing mistakes early. One bad pass behind the net led to a union player being all alone in front of Pantano which he capitalized on by scoring the lone goal. Since union scored, NU basically took over the rest of the game with a strong defense and the offense started to build some chemistry getting better passes and shots. Pantano wasn't that good IMO (maybe it's first game nerves but honestly our defense gave us the win) and I hope Murphy gets to play the 2nd game so we can see what he's got and compare to what Pantano did game 1. Our strong defense def kept us in the game and made a lot of nice blocked shots especially some of them was probably going to be a wide open look for union to score. Spott and Villella were nowhere to be found (I can't remember if they even came on the ice early on) so it looks like we just used 5 defensemen the whole game. Maybe they were just extra bodies if needed or madigan didn't like what he saw from them in the first period? The madden and solow lines were on the ice for heavy minutes especially at the end of the game.

Let me know if you have any questions but this pretty much recaps the game and I'm curious if Madigan makes some changes for game 2 by putting in McDonough and Mella. I know Struble is just coming off an injury so I'm thinking he's out until next week or 2 weeks maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Liveatjrl View Post
                          Just got home from the game; I'm sure the blog will have a recap soon or a summary from both games sometime this week but here's a quick recap. (Warning, I'm tired from the long drive so please excuse any errors or mistakes!) NU started off slow and rusty in the first period making a lot of passing mistakes early. One bad pass behind the net led to a union player being all alone in front of Pantano which he capitalized on by scoring the lone goal. Since union scored, NU basically took over the rest of the game with a strong defense and the offense started to build some chemistry getting better passes and shots. Pantano wasn't that good IMO (maybe it's first game nerves but honestly our defense gave us the win) and I hope Murphy gets to play the 2nd game so we can see what he's got and compare to what Pantano did game 1. Our strong defense def kept us in the game and made a lot of nice blocked shots especially some of them was probably going to be a wide open look for union to score. Spott and Villella were nowhere to be found (I can't remember if they even came on the ice early on) so it looks like we just used 5 defensemen the whole game. Maybe they were just extra bodies if needed or madigan didn't like what he saw from them in the first period? The madden and solow lines were on the ice for heavy minutes especially at the end of the game.

Let me know if you have any questions but this pretty much recaps the game and I'm curious if Madigan makes some changes for game 2 by putting in McDonough and Mella. I know Struble is just coming off an injury so I'm thinking he's out until next week or 2 weeks maybe.

thank you for that. least they got you the W for the long round trip.

well, good to hear that the D is going to be decent, and that, that continues. wishing Struble a full recovery as well.
                          Pantano was always going to be a mixed bag so hopefully he gets it together at some point and/ or Mu.rphy gives us something to cheer about. that is a huge void to fill (Primeau), and is going to be felt the entire season i think.

all the best to NU for Sat night. Go Huskies!
                          GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

I wouldn’t worry about the score as much as getting the W. Union is playing game 3 and we are on game 1 with so many new faces on the ice. This team is gonna make mistakes with that many freshman. I hope Murphy gets the start tonight as well, and curious to see you if others get ice time as well. It’s gonna take the coaching staff a few games to evaluate new players. Go Dawgs!!!!
                            These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

As the person who will write said eventual blog post, most of that is pretty spot on. I will point out that I saw Spott play at least a couple of shifts, can't say the same for AJV. Seems pretty clear that the other starting D spot is Struble's and nobody else is filling it in the meantime.

Agreed on Pantano, he's capable of having good games, but it's less a function of him and more of the 38 skaters between the two teams. The same thing happened when Merrimack won the 1-0 game at Matthews last year, he spit pucks everywhere and NU didn't put a single one behind him. I do think he will have better stats overall this year, but he is who we thought he was. If "who we thought he was" ends up being synonymous with "better than Ruck" it's a net W.

If this was a 2 game weekend I wouldn't have been surprised if the coaches decided Pantano played well enough yesterday to start again, but since Pantano will presumably be in net Tuesday, I expect Murphy to slide into the lineup on this one.

Mella will probably not play more than a couple of token games all year, he's more or less a walk on. McDonough you have to assume is banged up, no other reason he would be out.

Comment

Working...
                              X