Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

LSSU (first clip) seems to be targeting; but in the heat of things, I'd say two for interference.

MTU (second clip) seems to me to be a good explosive check with an unfortunate elbow to the head on the follow through (from the second camera angle). Two for interference for the follow through.

But I'm not being paid to make these a real time calls and can re-watch these clips multiple times.

Edit: I also see it going how BGDrew said and could see where both are fives.

*shrug*
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by aparch View Post
      LSSU (first clip) seems to be targeting; but in the heat of things, I'd say two for interference.

MTU (second clip) seems to me to be a good explosive check with an unfortunate elbow to the head on the follow through (from the second camera angle). Two for interference for the follow through.

But I'm not being paid to make these a real time calls and can re-watch these clips multiple times.

Edit: I also see it going how BGDrew said and could see where both are fives.

*shrug*
      I appreciate the non-MTU fan perspective. Buckley was called a 5 and Henrikson was called a 2. Personally I think they're both the same. Not really sure how a ref could look at Buckley and think 5, but Henrikson is only a 2.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post

What do you think?
        Both were big hits. The LSSU hit on Tech seemed to be from the side. It could be argued, that was a blind side hit. The Tech hit on the LSSU player seemed to be more from the front. The Tech hit looked like a good hard check. For the way I like hockey to be played 2 min for LSSU hit, no call for the Tech hit. How the WCHA wants hockey to be called both 5 min.

Comment

What do you think?
          Henriksen made initial contact to the head, thus I think it warrants a major. Buckley made initial contact below the head but it could be argued that his elbow came up on the follow through. I did not see it that way from the video angle we saw.

From looking at the clips provided, I would say Henriksen gets 5 and Buckley nothing. (And yes, if they were wearing the opposite sweaters I would have the same answer.)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Henrikson is 6'5". Pretty hard for any D-man of that size to put a body hit on someone smaller without it being fairly high and maybe looking worse than it is. I'd go with 2 minute minors in each case. Protecting players is nice but I think the WCHA is overzealous on calling 5 minute majors (and the misconducts that go with them).

Comment

You cannot penalize size, but Henrickson knows he's tall and the onus is on him to avoid contact to the head, which he clearly did not do.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                You cannot penalize size, but Henrickson knows he's tall and the onus is on him to avoid contact to the head, which he clearly did not do.
                Pronger Physics.

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                  Both should have been fives for interference with significant impact.

These are the kind of hits they’re trying to eliminate from the game.
                  There is no way the Buckley hit is a 5:00.

The only possible penalty I see is 2:00 for interference.....

The fact that they reviewed the video and upped the call was laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                    Henrikson is 6'5". Pretty hard for any D-man of that size to put a body hit on someone smaller without it being fairly high and maybe looking worse than it is. I'd go with 2 minute minors in each case. Protecting players is nice but I think the WCHA is overzealous on calling 5 minute majors (and the misconducts that go with them).
                    I believe Buckley is also 6'5".
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

5-2 on the road is a great start to the season.

0-4 at home is not.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

0-4 at home is not.
                        1-0 both at home and on the road this weekend would be huge.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

0-4 at home is not.
                          The Alaska series was a stinker for us and we should have had at least one win. The guys were nervous and didn't play well. There isn't much we can do about MnSU this year. The Purple Cows are going to roll through the WCHA this year.

Losing to NMU at home is never acceptable. The boys need to show up and play. No disappearing in the middle/end of the game!! We need to play a full 60 min, put pucks in their net, and keep them out of ours.

Go Tech!
                          Go Tech!

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                            I believe Buckley is also 6'5".
                            Buckley is 6-0, Datema is the one thats 6-5
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              1-0 both at home and on the road this weekend would be huge.
                              Gotta take it one game/weekend at a time, but I don't see any easy wins between now and the GLI. With our offensive struggles in the first six weeks, the guys really need to dig in and start finding some greasy goals. Just because it isn't a pretty snipe from the top of the circles doesn't mean it counts any less.

One thing to note with the road record is that they have been on the road a lot and should be used to playing in hostile environments. We have 21 road games this year (counting the GLI).
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 11-19-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Buckley is 6-0, Datema is the one thats 6-5
                                Ah, thanks for the correction.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X